- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effect and Mechanism of Glutamine on Productive Performance and Egg Quality of Laying Hens
- Dong, Xiao-Ying (Department of Agricultural Science, Shaoguan University) ;
- Yang, Chu-Fen (Faculty of Chemical Engineering and Light Industry, Guangdong University of Technology) ;
- Tang, Sheng-Qiu (Department of Agricultural Science, Shaoguan University) ;
- Jiang, Qing-Yan (College of Animal Science, South China Agricultural University) ;
- Zou, Xiao-Ting (College of Animal Science, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2009.12.06
- Accepted : 2010.02.23
- Published : 2010.08.01
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary glutamine (Gln) on the productive performance and egg quality of laying hens. A total of four hundred Lingnan Yellow laying hens aged 34 weeks were randomly assigned into four groups (100 laying hens/group), and fed, respectively, with diets supplemented with 0% (control group), 0.2%, 0.4%, and 0.8% Gln during the 6-week feeding period. The results were as follows. First, the productivity of laying hens fed with 0.8% Gln in diet was significantly increased (p<0.05); however, the egg quality (egg weight, yolk weight, shell weight, egg shape index, shell thickness, shell density, shell breaking strength, yolk color, yolk index, and Haugh unit) was not affected compared with that of the control group (p>0.05). Second, luteinizing hormone (LH) (p<0.01), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) (p<0.01), triiodothyronine (
Glutamine;Laying Hen;Productive Performance;Egg Quality;Hormone Secretion;Duodenum;Oviduct
- Ardawi, M. S. M. and E. A. Newsholme. 1983. Glutamine metabolism in lymphocytes of the rat. Biochem. J. 212:835-842.
- Bartell, S. M. and A. B. Batal. 2007. The effect of supplemental glutamine on growth performance, development of the gastrointestinal tract, and humoral immune response of broilers. Poult. Sci. 86:1940-1947. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.9.1940
- Belmonte, L., M. Coeffier, F. Le Pessot, O. Miralles-Barrachina, M. Hiron, A. Leplingard, J. F. Lemeland, B. Hecketsweiler, M. Daveau, P. Ducrotte and P. Dechelotte. 2007. Effects of glutamine supplementation on gut barrier, glutathione content and acute phase response in malnourished rats during inflammatory shock. World. J. Gastroenterol. 13:2833-2840.
- Bourguignon, J. P., A. Gerard, M. L. Alvarez Gonzalez, G. Purnelle and P. Franchimont. 1995. Endogenous glutamate involvement in pulsatile secretion of gonadotropin- releasing hormone: evidence from effect of glutamine and developmental changes. Endocrinol. 136: 911-916. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.136.3.911
- Boza, J. J., T. Marco and M. Denis. 2001. Effect of glutamine supplementation of the diet on tissue protein synthesis rate of glucocorticoid-treated rats. Nutrition 17:35-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(00)00505-0
- de Oliveira, M. A., D. S. Lemos, S. O. Diniz, J. V. Coelho and V. N. Cardoso. 2006. Prevention of bacterial translocation using glutamine: a new strategy of investigation. Nutrition 22:419-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.11.010
- Doepel, L., M. Lessard, N. Gagnon, G. E. Lobley, J. F. Bernier, P. Dubreuil and H. Lapierre. 2006. Effect of Postruminal glutamine supplementation on immune response and milk production in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:3107-3121. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72585-1
- Doepel, L., G. E. Lobley, J. F. Bernier, P. Dubreuil and H. Lapierre. 2007. Effect of glutamine supplementation on splanchnic metabolism in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 90:4325-4333. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0124
- Drackley, J. K., R. M. Blome, K. S. Bartlett and K. L. Bailey. 2006. Supplementation of 1% L-glutamine to milk replacer does not overcome the growth depression in calves caused by soy protein concentrate. J. Dairy Sci. 89:1688-1693. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72236-6
- Elsen, E. J., B. B. Bohren and H. E. Mckean. 1962. The Haugh unit as a measure of egg albumen quality. Poult. Sci. 41:1461-1468. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0411461
- Fischer da Silva, A. V., A. Maiorka, S. A. Borges, E. Santin, I. C. Boleli and M. Macari. 2007a. Surface area of the tip of the enterocytes in small intestine mucosa of broilers submitted to early feed restriction and supplemented with glutamine. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 6:31-35. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.31.35
- Fischer da Silva, A. V., A. Borges, A. S. Maiorka, P. E. N. Givisiez, C. Rocha and M. Macari. 2007b. Ornithine decarboxylase expression in the small intestine of broilers submitted to feed restriction and glutamine supplementation. Rev. Bras. Cienc. Avic. l9:111-115.
- Inoue, Y., J. P. Grant and P. J. Snyder. 1993. Effect of glutaminesupplemented intravenous nutrition on survival after Escherichia coli-induced peritonitis. JPEN J. Parenter. Enteral. Nutr. 17:41-46. https://doi.org/10.1177/014860719301700141
- Iwashita, S., P. Williams, K. Jabbour, T. Ueda, H. Kobayashi, S. Baier and P. J. Flakoll. 2005. Impact of glutamine supplementation on glucose homeostasis during and after exercise. J. Appl. Physiol. 99:1858-1865. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00305.2005
- Jafari, A., D. G. V. Emmanuel, R. J. Christopherson, J. R. Thompson, G. K. Murdoch, J. Woodward, C. J. Field and B. N. Ametaj. 2006. Parenteral administration of glutamine modulates acute phase response in postparturient dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 89:4660-4668. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72516-4
- Johnson, I. R., R. O. Ball, V. E. Baracos and C. J. Field. 2006. Glutamine supplementation influences immune development in the newly weaned piglet. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 30:1191-1202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2006.03.003
- Johnson, A. T., Y. C. Kaufmann, S. Luo, V. Todorova and V. S. Klimberg. 2003. Effect of glutamine on glutathione, IGF-I, and TGF-beta 1. J. Surg. Res. 111:222-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4804(03)00083-0
- Kaufmann, Y., J. Kornbluth, Z. Feng, M. Fahr, R. F. Schaefer and V. S. Klimberg. 2007. Effect of glutamine on gut glutathione fractional release in the implanted tumor model. Nutr. Cancer 59:199-206. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580701439632
- Kaufmann, Y., P. Spring and V. S. Klimberg. 2008. Oral glutamine prevents DMBA-induced mammary carcinogenesis via upregulation of glutathione production. Nutrition 24:462-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2008.01.003
- Kessel, A., E. Toubi, E. Pavlotzky, J. Mogilner, A. G. Coran, M. Lurie, R. Karry and I. Sukhotnik. 2008. Treatment with glutamine is associated with down-regulation of Toll-like receptor-4 and myeloid differentiation factor 88 expression and decrease in intestinal mucosal injury caused by lipopolysaccharide endotoxaemia in a rat. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 151:341-347.
- Lackeyram, D., X. Yue and M. Z. Fan. 2001. Effects of dietary supplementation of crystalline L-glutamine on the gastrointestinal tract and whole bodygrowth in early-weaned piglets fed corn and soy bean meal based diets. J. Anim. Sci. 79:322.
- Liu, T., P. Jian, Y. Z. Xiong, S. Q. Zhou and X. H. Cheng. 2002. Effects of dietary glutamine and glutamate supplementation on small intestinal structure, active absorption and DNA, RNA concentration in skeletal muscle tissue of weaned piglets during d 28 to 42 of age. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:238-242. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.238
- Maiorka, A. A., V. F. Silva, E. Santin, S. A. Borges, I. C. Boleli and M. Macari. 2000. Influencia da suplementacao de glutamina sobre o desempenho e o desenvolvimento de vilos e criptas do intestino delgado de frangos. Arq. Bras. Med. Vet. Zoo. 52:487-490. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0102-09352000000500014
- Mok, E., B. Constantin, F. Favreau, N. Neveux, C. Magaud, A. Delwail and R. Hankard. 2008. L-Glutamine administration reduces oxidized glutathione and MAP kinase signaling in dystrophic muscle of mdx mice. Pediatr. Res. 63:268-273. https://doi.org/10.1203/PDR.0b013e318163a259
- Murakami, A. E., M. I. Sakamoto, M. R. M. Natali, L. M. G. Souza and J. R. G. Franco. 2007. Supplementation of glutamine and vitamin E on the morphometry of the intestinal mucosa in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 86:488-495. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.3.488
- Newsholme, P. 2001. Why is L-glutamine metabolism important to cells of the immune system in health post-immune, surgery, or infection? J. Nutr. 131:2515-2522.
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th. Revised ed., National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Ooi, G. T., N. Tawadros and R. M. Escalona. 2004. Pituitary cell lines and their endocrine applications. Mol. Cell Endorcrinol. 228(1-2):1-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2004.07.018
- Ottem, E. N. and J. G. Godwin. 2002. Petersen. Glutamatergic signaling through the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor directly activates medial subpopulations of luteinizing hormonereleasing hormone (LHRH) neurons, but does not appear to mediate the effects of estradiol on LHRH gene expression. Endocrinology 143:4837-4845. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2002-220707
- Paganelli, C. V., A. Olszowka and A. Ar. 1974. The avian egg: surface area, volume, and density. Condor 76:319-325. https://doi.org/10.2307/1366345
- Roth, C. L., A. L. McCormack, A. Lomniczi, A. E. Mungenast and S. R. Ojeda. 2006. Quantitative proteomics identifies a change in glial glutamate metabolism at the time of female puberty. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 254-255:51-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2006.04.017
- Singleton, K. D. and P. E. Wischmeyer. 2008. Glutamine attenuates inflammation and NF-kappa B activation via Cullin-1 deneddylation. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 373:445-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.06.057
- Smith, R. J. 1990. Glutamine metabolism and its physiologic importance. JPEN J. Parenter. Enteral. Nutr. 14:40S-44S. https://doi.org/10.1177/014860719001400402
- Sukhotnik, I., K. Khateeb, J. G. Mogilner, H. Helou, M. Lurie, A. G. Coran and E. Shiloni. 2007. Dietary glutamine supplementation prevents mucosal injury and modulates intestinal epithelial restitution following ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat. Dig. Dis. Sci. 52:1497-1504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-006-9629-8
- van der Hulst, R. R., M. F. von Meyenfeldt and P. B. Soeters. 1996. Glutamine: an essential amino acid for the gut. Nutrition 12:S78-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(97)85206-9
- Vicario, M., C. Amat, M. Rivero, M. Moreto and C. Pelegri. 2007. Dietary glutamine affects mucosal functions in rats with mild DSS-induced colitis. J. Nutr. 137:1931-1937.
- Wang, J., L. Chen, P. Li, X. Li, H. Zhou, F. Wang, D. Li, Y. Yin and G. Wu. 2008. Gene expression is altered in piglet small intestine by weaning and dietary glutamine supplementation. J. Nutr. 138:1025-1032.
- White, J. S., M. Hoper, R. W. Parks, W. D. Clements and T. Diamond. 2005. Glutamine improves intestinal barrier function in experimental biliary obstruction. Eur. Surg. Res. 37:342-347. https://doi.org/10.1159/000090334
- Windmueller, H. G. and A. E. Spaeth. 1980. Respiratory fuels and nitrogen metabolism in vivo in small intestine of fed rats. J. Biol. Chem. 255:107-112.
- Yeh, S. L., Y. N. Lai, H. F. Shang, M. T. Lin, W. C. Chiu and W. J. Chen. 2001. Effects of glutamine-supplemented total parenteral nutrition on cytokine production and T cell population in septic rats. JPEN J. Parenter. Enteral. Nutr. 25:269-274. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148607101025005269
- Yi, G. F., G. L. Allee, C. D. Knight and J. J. Dibner. 2005a. Impact of glutamine and Oasis hatchling supplement on growth performance, small intestinal morphology, and immune response of broilers vaccinated and challenged with Eimeria maxima. Poult. Sci. 84:283-293. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.2.283
- Yi, G. F., G. L. Allee, J. W. Frank, J. D. Spencer and K. J. Touchette. 2001. Impact of glutamine, menhaden fish meal, and spray-dried plasma on the growth and intestinal morphology of broilers. Poult. Sci. 80:201.
Yi, G. F., J. A. Carroll, G. L. Allee, A. M. Gaines, D. C. Kendall, J. L. Usry, Y. Toride and S. Izuru. 2005b. Effect of glutamine and spray-dried plasma on growth performance, small intestinal morphology, and immune responses of Escherichia coli
$K88^+-challenged$weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 83:634-643.
- Yi, G. F., G. L. Allee, Y. Toride, J. L. Usry and A. M. Gaines. 2002. Impact of glutamine, glutamate, and nucleotide on the growth performance and intestinal morphology of weaned piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 80:198.
- Zuelke, K. A. and B. G. Brackett. 1993. Increased glutamine metabolism in bovine cumulus cell-enclosed and denuded oocytes after in vitro maturation with luteinizing hormone. Biol. Reprod. 48:815-820. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod48.4.815
- Modulation of Physiologic Parameters in Molted Isa Brown Laying-Hens by Glutamine + Glutamic Acid Supplementation vol.20, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2017-0481