- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Fe-soy Proteinate and MgO on Egg Production and Quality of Eggshell in Laying Hens
- Seo, Y.M. ;
- Shin, K.S. ;
- Rhee, A.R. ;
- Chi, Y.S. ;
- Han, J. ;
- Paik, I.K.
- Received : 2010.03.03
- Accepted : 2010.04.23
- Published : 2010.08.01
This study investigated the effects of Fe-soy proteinate (Fe-SP) and magnesium oxide (MgO) dietary supplements on eggshell quality in laying hens. A total of 800 26-wk-old Hy-Line Brown hens were assigned to four dietary treatments: control (C), Fe-SP 100 (100 ppm Fe-soy proteinate), MgO (3 g MgO/kg diet), and Fe-SP 100+MgO. Each treatment had five replicates of 40 hens. The FT-IR (Fourier transform infrared) and XRD (X-ray diffraction) spectra of Fe-soy proteinate were different from those of
MgO;Fe-soy Proteinate;Eggshell Quality;Layer;Hemoglobin
- AOAC. 1990. Official method of analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Adams, A. W. 1976. Magnesium sulfate effects on three strains of egg type hens. Poult. Sci. 55:1808-1810. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0551808
- Ashmead, H. D. 1993. The role of amino acids chelates in animal nutrition. Noyes Publications. New Fersey, USA.
- Atteh, J. O. and S. Leeson. 1982. Influence of increasing dietary calcium and magnesium levels on performance, mineral metabolism, and egg mineral content of laying hens. Poult. Sci. 62:1261-1268.
- Chi, Y. S. and J. H. Han. 2008. Synthesis and characterization of metal-proteinates. Proceeding of the 4th Asian Biological Inorganic Chemistry Conference (ASBIC-4). November. P50:100 (Abstr.).
- Dressel, E. I. B. and J. E. Falk. 1954. Studies on biosynthesis of blood pigments. 1. Haem synthesis in haemolysed erythrocytes of chicken blood. Biochem. J. 56:156-163.
- Eisen, E. J., B. B. Bohren and H. E. Mckean. 1962. The Haugh Units as a measure of egg albumen quality. Poult. Sci. 41:1461-1468. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0411461
- Fouad, M. T. 1976. The physiochemical role of chelated minerals in maintaining optical body biological functions. J. Appl. Nutr.28:5.
- Gaal, K. K., O. Safar, L. Gulyas and P. Stadler. 2004. Magnesium in animal nutrition. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 23(6):754S-757S. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2004.10719423
- Han, J. H., Y. S. Chi, B. K. Shin, S. K. Kim and I. K. Paik. 2006. FT-IR and XRD analyses of commercial methionine-mineral chelates. Agric. Chem. Biotechnol. 49(1):8-10.
- Kennedy, G. Y. and H. G. Vevers. 1973. Eggshell pigmentation of the Araucano fowl. Comp. Biol. Phy. 44B:11-25.
- Lang, M. R. and J. W. Wells. 1987. A review of eggshell pigmentation. World's Poult. Sci. J. 43(3):238-246. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19870016
- McDonald, P., R. A. Edwards and J. F. D. Greenhalgh. 1971. "Animal Nutrition," 3rd ed. London: Oliver and Boyd, pp. 83-84.
- McNaugton, J. L., B. Day, B. C. Dilworth and B. D. Lott. 1974. Iron and copper availability from various sources. Poult. Sci. 53:1325-1330. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0531325
- Miller, D., J. H. Soares Jr., P. Bauersfeld Jr. and S. L. Cupett. 1972. Comparative selenium retention by chicks fed sodium selenite, selenomethionine, fish meal and fish soluble. Poult. Sci. 51:1669-1673. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0511669
- Naber, E. C. 1979. The effect of nutrition on the composition of eggs. Poult. Sci. 58:518-528. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0580518
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient requirement of poultry. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Paik, I. K. 2001. Application of chelated minerals in animal production. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(Special Issue):191-198.
- Paik, I. K., H. K. Lee and S. W. Park. 2009. Effects of organic iron supplementation on the performance and iron content in the egg yolk of laying hens. J. Poult. Sci. 46:198-202. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.46.198
- Park, S. W., H. Namkung, H. J. Ahn and I. K. Paik. 2004. Production of iron enriched eggs of laying hens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(12):1725-1728. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1725
- SAS Institute. 2000. SAS system for window V 8.01. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Solomon, S. E. 1997. Egg and eggshell quality. Lowa State University Press.
- Spears, J. W. 1992. The bioavailability of zinc, copper and manganese amino acid complexes and chelates. NFIA., Nutrition Institute.
- Stafford, J. E. H. and N. A. Edwards. 1972. Magnesium netabolism in the laying fowl. Br. Poult. Sci. 14:137-148.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics. A Biometrical Approach. 2nd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY.
- Zoubek, G. L., E. R. Peo Jr., B. D. Moser, T. Stahly and P. J. Cunningham. 1975. Effects of source on copper uptake by swine. J. Anim. Sci. 40:880-884.
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Copper-soy Proteinate on the Performance of Laying Hens vol.38, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2011.38.3.165
- Effects of Increasing Supplementation of Magnesium in Diets on Productive Performance and Eggshell Quality of Aged Laying Hens vol.151, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-012-9537-z
- A selection study for improving eggshell colour in two parent lines of laying hens and their hybrids vol.15, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2016.1215232
- Effect of Inclusion of Blood Meal in Diets on Eggshell Color of Brown-egg Laying Hens vol.16, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2017.238.241
- Gallinarum in experimentally infected layers vol.18, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2017.18.3.291
- Recent advances in avian egg science: A review vol.96, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex187
- Influence of dietary supplemental chromium and magnesium on performance and metabolic parameters of laying hens subjected to heat stress vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1535436