- Volume 23 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Estimates of Direct and Maternal Effects on Growth Traits in Angora Rabbits
- Niranjan, S.K. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, S.R. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Gowane, G.R. (Division of Animal Genetics and Breeding, CSWRI)
- Received : 2009.10.29
- Accepted : 2010.01.14
- Published : 2010.08.01
Genetic parameters of growth traits were estimated in the German Angora rabbit reared in the sub-temperate region of India. Estimates of (co)variance components were obtained for body weights at weaning (42 days) and post-weaning at 84, 126 and 168 days. A total of 8,324 animal records were used for the analysis of these traits. The data were analyzed by restricted maximum likelihood (REML) fitting six animal models with various combinations of direct and maternal effects. A log likelihood ratio test was used to select the most appropriate univariate model for each trait. Direct heritability estimates were observed to be moderate for the traits under study. Heritability estimates for weaning (42 d), 84, 126 and 168 d weights obtained from the best models were
- Bhatt, R. S. and S. R. Sharma. 2009. Seasonal production performance of Angora rabbits under sub-temperate Himalayan conditions. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:416-420. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80326
- Castellini, C. and F. Panella. 1988. Heritability of pre and post weaning weights in rabbits. Proc. 4th World Rabbit Congress, Budapest, Vol III, 112-119.
- Ferraz, J. B. S., R. K. Johnson and L. D. Van Vleck. 1992. Estimation of genetic trends and genetic parameters for reproductive and growth traits of rabbits raised in subtropics with animal models. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:131-142.
- Garcia, F. X. and J. C. Magofke. 1982. Genetic parameters for the production of fleece and body weight in Angora rabbits. Adv. Prod. Anim. 12:81-90.
- Henderson, C. R. 1988. Theoretical basis and computational methods for a number of different animal models. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1-16.
- Jelinek, P., A. Polach, F. Kukla and P. Kivana. 1980. The relationship of body weight with fibreyield in Angora rabbits. Ada Universatalis Agriculture, Faculta Agronomica Berno 28:205-211.
- Lukefahr, S. D., J. K. A. Atakora and E. M. Opoku. 1992. Heritability of 90 d body wt in domestic rabbits from tropical Ghana, West Africa. J. Hered. 83:105-108.
- Lukefahr, S. D., J. D. Roberts and L. D. Van Vleck. 1993. Estimates of components of (co) variance by restricted maximum likelihood for carcass traits in rabbits using an animal model. Prof. Anim. Sci. 9:89-97.
- Lukefahr, S. D., H. B. Odi and J. K. A. Atakora. 1996. Mass selection for 70 Day body weight in rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1481-1489.
- Mahajan J. M. and S. S. Lahiri. 1983. Inheritance of broiler traits in New Zealand White rabbits. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 53(12):1365-1367.
- Meyer, K. 1992. Variance components due to direct and maternal effects for growth traits of Australian beef cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 31:179-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(92)90017-X
- Meyer, K. 2000. DFREML programs to estimate variance components by restricted maximum likelihood using derivative free algorithm-user notes.
- Notter, D. R. and J. D. Hough. 1997. Genetic parameter estimates for growth and fleece characteristics in Targhee sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1729-1737.
- Panella, F., M. Battaglini, C. Castellini, A. Rosati and E. Facchin. 1992. Comparison between two genetic evaluation indexes in rabbit. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:190-197.
- Piles, M. E., A. Gomez, O. Rafel, J. Ramon and A. Blasco. 2004. Elliptical selection experiment for the estimation of genetic parameters of the growth rate and feed conversion ratio in rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2309-2315.
- Qinyu, M. 1992. Studies on method of early selection and early mating in German Angora rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:322-328.
- Rafat, S. A., D. Allain, R. G. Thebault and H. de Rochambeau. 2007. Divergent selection for fleece yield in French Angora rabbits: Non-genetic effects, genetic parameters and response to selection. Livest. Sci. 106:169-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.08.001
- Rafat, S. A., H. de Rochambeau, R. G. Thebault, I. David, S. Deretz, M. Bonnet, B. Pena-Arnaud and D. Allain. 2008. Divergent selection for total fleece weight in Angora rabbits: Correlated response in wool characteristics. Livest. Sci. 113:8-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.02.012
- Roff, D. A. 2002. Life History Evolution, Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- Singh, U., S. R. Sharma, R. S. Bhatt, D. Kumar and K. S. Risam. 2006. Effect of shearing intervals on the growth and wool parameters of German Angora rabbits. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 76:88-91.
- SPSS. 2005. SPSS for Windows, Brief Guide, Version 14.0, SPSS Inc. Chicago, IL.
- Willham, R. L. 1972. The role of maternal effects in animal breeding: III. Biometrical aspects of maternal effects in animals. J. Anim. Sci. 35:1288-1293.
- Wilson, J. A. and D. Reale. 2006. Ontogeny of additive and maternal genetic effects: Lessons from domestic mammals. Am. Nat. 167:24-38.
- ) vol.40, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2011.645037
- The direct-maternal genetic correlation has little impact on genetic evaluations vol.93, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2015-9548
- Estimates of (co)variance components and genetic parameters for body weights and growth efficiency traits in the New Zealand white rabbit vol.25, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4995/wrs.2017.7057