- Volume 23 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Digestibility and Nitrogen Balance of Diets that Include Marine Fish Meal, Catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus) By-product Meal and Silage, and Processing Waste Water in Growing Pigs
- Thuy, Nguyen Thi (College of Agriculture and Applied Biology, CanTho University) ;
- Lindberg, Jan Erik (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences) ;
- Ogle, Brian (Department of Animal Nutrition and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences)
- Received : 2009.09.23
- Accepted : 2010.02.02
- Published : 2010.07.01
Ileal and total tract digestibility and nitrogen (N) balance of diets with four different protein sources were determined in growing pigs. The diets were based on rice bran, broken rice and maize meal and contained Tra catfish by-product (CBP), processed using three different methods, and marine fish meal (FM). The CBP diets consisted of the by-product in meal form, ensiled with molasses, and CBP waste water (WWBD). The four diets were fed to four growing pigs fitted with post-valve T-cecum (PVTC) cannulas in a
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemist., Washington DC. 1: pp. 69-90.
- Duran-Montge, P., R. Lizardo, D. Torrallardona and E. Esteve-Garcia. 2007. Fat and fatty acid digestibility of different fat sources in growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 109(1-3):66-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.067
- Fan, M. Z., W. C. Sauer, R. T. Hardin and K. A. Lien. 1994. Determination of apparent ileal amino acid digestibility in pigs: Effect of dietary amino acid level. J. Anim. Sci.72(11):2851-2859.
- Fenton, T. W. and M. Fenton. 1979. An improved procedure for the determination of chromic oxide in feed and feces. J. Anim. Sci. 76:563-569.
- Jorgensen, H., W. C. Sauer and P. A. Thacker. 1984. Amino acid availabilities in soybean meal, sunflower meal, fish meal and meat and bone meal fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 58(4):926-934.
- Hong, T. T. T. and J. E. Lindberg. 2007. Effect of cooking and fermentation of a pig diet on gut environment and digestibility in growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 109(1-3):135-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.121
- Htoo, J. K., B. A. Araiza, W. C. Sauer, M. Rademacher, Y. Zhang, M. Cervantes and R. T. Zijlstra. 2007. Effect of dietary protein content on ileal amino acid digestibility, growth performance, and formation of microbial metabolites in ileal and cecal digesta of early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3303-3312. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0105
- Knabe, D. A., D. C. LaRue, E. J. Gregg, G. M. Martinez and T. D. Tanksley Jr. 1989. Apparent digestibility of nitrogen and amino acids in protein feedstuffs by growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 67(2):441-458.
- Livestock Department. 2006. Livestock production situation in Vietnam 1995-2005 and development orientation 2010 -2015 (in Vietnamese). http://www.cucchannuoi.gov.vn/ccn_cms/vanban/20061110135216.doc
- Le Goff, G. and J. Noblet. 2001. Comparative total tract digestibility of dietary energy and nutrients in growing pigs and adult sows. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2418-2427.
- Men, L.T., S. Yamasaki, H. H. Chi, H. T. T. Loan and R. Takada. 2007. Effect of Catfish (Pangasius hypophthalamus) or Coconut (Cocos nucifera) oil, and Water Spinach (Ipomoea aquatica) in diets on growth/cost performances and carcass traits of finishing pigs. JARQ 41:157-162. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.41.157
- Moon, J. S., I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2004. Effects of wet feeding of diets with or without food waste on growth performance and carcass characteristics in finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:504-510. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.504
- Ngoan, L. D. and J. E. Lindberg. 2001. Ileal and total tract digestibility in growing pigs fed cassava root meal and rice bran diets with inclusion of fish meal and fresh or ensiled shrimp by-products. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14(2):216-223. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.216
- Noblet, J. and J. M. Perez. 1993. Prediction of digestibility of nutrients and energy values of pig diets from chemical analysis. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3389-3398.
- Nortvedt, R. 2007. The opportunities in the catfish surplus market in Vietnam. www.fiskeriforskning.no/content/download/2943599/6018589/file/Rapport+24-2007.pdf
- Opstvedt, J., E. Nygaard, T. A. Samuelsen, G. Venturini, U. Luzzana and H. Mundheim. 2003. Effect on protein digestibility of different processing conditions in the production of fish meal and fish feed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 83(8):775-782. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1396
- Ohh, S. H., K. N. Han and B. J. Chae. 2002. Effects of feed processing methods on growth performance and ileal digestibility of amino acids in young pigs (Ed. K. Han and S. P. Acda). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(12):1765-1772. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1765
- Sathivel, S., W. Prinyawiwatkul, J. M. King, C. C. Grimm and S. Lloyd. 2003. Oil production from catfish viscera. J. Am. Oil. Chem. Soc. 80(4):377-382. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-003-0707-z
- Scholten, R. H. J., C. M. C. Van der Peet-Schwering, M. W. A. Verstegen, L. A. Den Hartog, J. W. Schrama and P. C. Vesseur. 1999. Fermented co-products and fermented compound diets for pigs: a review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 82(1-2):1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00096-6
- Spackman, D. H., W. H. Stein and S. Moore. 1958. Automatic recording apparatus for use in chromatography of amino acids. Anal. Chem. 30:1190-1206. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60139a006
- Thuy, N. T., N. T. Loc, J. E. Lindberg and B. Ogle. 2007. Survey of the production, processing and nutritive value of catfish byproduct meals in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam. Livest. Res. Rur. Dev. 19, 124. www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd19/9/thuy19124.htm
- Van Leeuwen, P., D. J. Van Kleef, G. J. M. Van Kempen, M. W. A. Verstegen and J. Huisman. 1991. The post valve T-caecum cannulation technique in pigs applicated to determine the digestibility of amino acids in maize, groundnut and sunflower meal. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 65:183-193. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1991.tb00256.x
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wang, X. and C. M. Parsons. 1998. Effect of raw material source, processing systems, and processing temperatures on amino acid digestibility of meat and bone meals. Poult. Sci. 77(6):834-841. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.6.834
- Effects of replacing fish meal with catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus) processing waste water on the performance of growing pigs vol.43, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9709-9
- Effect of replacing marine fish meal with catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus) by-product protein hydrolyzate on the growth performance and diarrhoea incidence in weaned piglets vol.48, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-016-1112-8
- Effects of different sources of protein on the growth performance, blood chemistry and polypeptide profiles in the gastrointestinal tract digesta of newly weaned piglets vol.101, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12607