- Volume 23 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Genetic Relationship between Carcass Traits and Carcass Price of Korean Cattle
- Kim, Jong-Bok (College of Animal Resource Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Jung (College of Animal Resource Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Koo (College of Animal Resource Science, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Chae-Young (Department of Bioinfomatics and Life Science, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2009.11.04
- Accepted : 2010.01.29
- Published : 2010.07.01
The objectives of this study were to estimate genetic parameters for the carcass price and carcass traits contributing to carcass grading and to investigate the influence of each carcass trait on the carcass price using multiple regression and path analyses. Data for carcass traits and carcass prices were collected from March 2003 to January 2009 on steers of Korean cattle raised at private farms. The analytical mixed animal model, including slaughter house-year-month combination, linear and quadratic slaughter age as fixed effects and random animal and residual effects, was used to estimate genetic parameters. The effects of carcass traits on the carcass price were evaluated by applying multiple regression analyses. Heritability estimates of carcass traits were
- Engellandt, Th., N. Reinsch, H. J. Schild and E. Kalm. 1999. Genetic parameters from two different field testing schemes for beef traits of German Gelbvieh finishing bulls. Livest. Prod. Sci. 60:219-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00095-0
- Galli, I., G. Teira, F. Perlo, P. Bonato, O. Tisocco, A. Monje and S. Vittone. 2008. Animal performance and meat quality in cull cows with early weaned calves in Argentina. Meat Sci. 79:521-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.10.007
- Hassen, A., D. E. Wilson and G. H. Rouse. 1999. Evaluation of carcass, live, and real-time ultrasound measures in feedlot cattle: I. Assessment of sex and breed effects. J. Anim. Sci. 77:273-282.
- Hirooka, H., Ab F. Groen and M. Matsumoto. 1996. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits in Japanese Brown cattle estimated from field records. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2112-2116.
- Hwang, J. M., S. Kim, Y. H. Choy, H. B. Yoon and C. J. Park. 2008. Genetic parameter estimation of carcass traits of Hanwoo steer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 50(5):613-620 (In Korean). https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.613
- Ibi, T., A. K. Kahi and H. Hirooka. 2006. Effect of carcass price fluctuations on genetic and economic evaluation of carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 84:3204-3211. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-610
- Kahi, A. K., T. Oguni, Y. Sumio and H. Hirooka. 2007. Genetic relationships between growth and carcass traits and profitability in Japanese Brown cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 85:348-355. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-657
- Kemp, D. J., W. O. Herring and C. J. Kaiser. 2002. Genetic and environmental parameters for steer ultrasound and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1489-1496.
- Kim, J. B., C. Lee, T. Tsuyuki, T. Shimogiri, S. Okamoto and Y. Maeda. 2006. Sire-maternal grandsire model and sire model in estimation of genetic parameters for average daily gain and carcass traits of Japanese Black cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1678-1684. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1678
- Kim, N. S., J. J. Lee and J. C. Ju. 2006. Estimation of genetic parameter for carcass traits according to MTDFREML and Gibbs sampling in Hanwoo (Korean cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 48(3):337-344 (In Korean). https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.3.337
- Koots, K. R., J. P. Gibson, C. Smith and J. W. Wilton. 1994. Analyses of published genetic parameter estimates for beef production traits. 1. Heritability. Anim. Breed. Abstr. 62:309-308.
- Lynch, M. and B. Walsh. 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland, MA.
- Meyer, K. 2006. WOMBAT - A program for mixed model analyses by restricted maximum likelihood. User notes. Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit, Armidale.
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 2008. The goals for animal improvement. Official announcement 2008-16. (In Korean).
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. 2007. The Grading standards for livestock products. Official announcement 2007-20. (In Korean).
- Moon, W. G., B. W. Kim, S. H. Roh, H. S. Kim, D. J. Jung, D. W. Sun, K. N. Kim, Y. T. Yoon, J. H. Jung, J. T. Jeon and J. G. Lee. 2007. Estimation of environmental effect and genetic parameters for the carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean cattle). J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 49(6):689-698 (In Korean). https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.6.689
- Mukai, F., K. Oyama and S. Kohno. 1995. Genetic relationships between performance test traits and field carcass traits in Japanese Black cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 44:199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(95)00069-0
- Oikawa, T., M. A. Hoque, T. Hitomi, K. Suzuki and H. Uchida. 2006. Genetic parameters for traits in performance and progeny tests and their genetic relationships in Japanese Black cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:611-616. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.611
- Osawa, T., K. Kuchida, S. Hidaka and T. Kato. 2008. Genetic parameters for image analysis traits on M. longissimus thoracis and M. trapezius of carcass cross section in Japanese Black cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 86:40-46.
- Pariacote, F., L. D. Van Vleck and R. E. Hunsley. 1998. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for carcass traits of American Shorthorn beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2584-2588.
- Pyatt, N. A., L. L. Berger, D. B. Faulkner, P. M. Walker and S. L. Rodriguez-Zas. 2005. Factors affecting carcass value and profitability in early-weaned Simmental steer: I. Five-year average pricing. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2918-2925.
- Riley, D. G., C. C. Chase, Jr, A. C. Hammond, R. L. West, D. D. Johnson, T. A. Olson and S. W. Coleman. 2002. Estimated genetic parameters for carcass traits of Brahman cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 80:955-962.
- Rios-Utrera, A., L. V. Cundiff, K. E. Gregory. R. M. Koch, M. E. Dikeman, M. Koohmaraie and L. D. Van Vleck. 2005. Genetic analysis of carcass traits of steers adjusted to age, weight, or fat thickness slaughter endpoints. J. Anim. Sci. 83:764-776.
- Rumph, J. M., W. R. Shafer, D. H. Crews, Jr, R. M. Enns, R. J. Lipsey, R. L. Quaas and E. J. Pollak. 2007. Genetic evaluation of beef carcass data using different endpoint adjustment. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1120-1125. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-694
- Smith, T., J. D. Domingue, J. C. Paschal, D. E. Franke, T. D. Bidner and G. Whipple. 2007. Genetic parameters for growth and carcass traits of Brahman steers. J. Anim. Sci. 85(6):1377-1384. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-653
- Van Vleck, L. D., L. V. Cundiff, T. L. Wheeler, S. D. Shackelford and M. Koohmaraie. 2007. Across-breed adjustment factors for expected progeny differences for carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1369-1376. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-658
- Wilson, D. E., R. L. Willham, S. L. Northcutt and G. H. Rouse. 1993. Genetic parameters for carcass traits estimated from Angus field records. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2365-2370.
- Effect of Carcass Traits on Carcass Prices of Holstein Steers in Korea vol.26, pp.10, 1970, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13109
- Genome-wide association study reveals five nucleotide sequence variants for carcass traits in beef cattle vol.42, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2010.02156.x
- Effects of Raising Farm on Genetic Evaluation for Carcass Traits in Hanwoo Cows vol.53, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.325
- Association of bovine carcass phenotypes with genes in an adaptive thermogenesis pathway vol.39, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-0880-5
- Fatty acid composition of beef is associated with exonic nucleotide variants of the gene encoding FASN vol.39, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-011-1190-7
- Effects of Carcass Traits on Auction Price in Hanwoo vol.54, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.2.77
- Novel SNPs in the bovine ADIPOQ and PPARGC1A genes are associated with carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean cattle) vol.40, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-013-2560-0
- Genetic Relationships of Carcass Traits with Retail Cut Productivity of Hanwoo Cattle vol.27, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14170
- Gene–gene interactions of fatty acid synthase (FASN) using multifactor-dimensionality reduction method in Korean cattle vol.41, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-014-3050-8
- Estimation of genetic parameter for carcass traits in commercial Hanwoo steer vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.3.741
- Detection of superior genotype of fatty acid synthase in Korean native cattle by an environment-adjusted statistical model vol.30, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0263
- Haplotypes and Sequence Variation in the Ovine Adiponectin Gene (ADIPOQ) vol.6, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/genes6041230
- Genetic parameters for yearling weight, carcass traits, and primal-cut yields of Hanwoo cattle1 vol.93, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7953