- Volume 10 Issue 2
The Effect of the Cancer Genetic Education Program for Nurses
간호사를 위한 종양유전교육 프로그램의 효과
- Choi, Kyung-Sook (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Jang, Eun-Sil (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Jun, Myung-Hee (Department of Nursing, Daejeon University) ;
- Jung, Ji-Young (Department of Nursing, Chungnam University) ;
- Park, Jung-Ae (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2010.06.25
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: Advancing genetic knowledge for oncology nurses is especially important in Korea because physicians have launched to incorporate genetic risk assessment and genetic testing into their practice. The purpose of this paper was to identify the effect of the first academic cancer genetic risk assessment and counseling course for Korean nurses. Methods: Thirty-five nurses were recruited and educated from June 8 to 14, 2006 in Seoul, Korea. Two measurement tools were used: 'knowledge about the hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC)' and 'knowledge about the cancer genetics'. Results: Students' score of knowledge about HBOC at pre-education was
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Jun MH. Cancer genetic counseling Nursing (2nd ed). Seoul: Daihaks Book Inc; 2008.
- You KM. The Study on the Demand Analysis and Perspective of Genetic Test. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare;2006.
- Lee CH, Roh JW. Clinical approach of hereditary cancer in gynecology. Korean J of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2009;52:1-16.
- Kim KS, Kim SW, Lee MH, Ahn SH, Park SK, Korean Breast Cancer Society. Practice patterns of surgeon for the management of hereditary breast cancer in Korea. J Breast Cancer 2008; 11:95-101. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2008.11.2.95
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Ahn SH, Anderson G. Implementing and evaluating a nurse led hereditary cancer genetics educational program in a Korean breast cancer surgery clinic. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2008;20:815-28.
- Kim SH. Rare genetic disorders and educational content development for practitioners. Seoul: Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention 2006.
- McCann B, MacAuley D, Barnett Y, Bunting B, Bradley A, Jeffers L, et al. Cancer Genetics: consultants' perceptions of their roles, confidence and satisfaction with knowledge. J Eval Clin Pract 2007;13:276-86. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2006.00695.x
- Tranin AS, Masny A, Jenkins, J. Genetics in oncology practice: Cancer risk assessment 2003. Pittsburgh: Oncology Nurse Society.
- Bilgin KV, Ayse GT, Nevin KK, Ayten T. Nursing student's self-reported knowledge of genetics and genetic education. Public Health Genomics 2009;12:225-32. https://doi.org/10.1159/000197972
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Anderson G. The first Korean cancer genetic counseling program for nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;9:104-14.
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Tae YS, So HS, Eun Y, Suh SR, et al. The knowledge of hereditary breast cancer in Korean nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;12:272-9.
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Tae YS, So HS, Eun Y, Hur MH, et al. Physicians' knowledge about hereditary breast cancer in South Korea. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2007;13:105-13.
- Gu BK. Comparison of knowledge according to the risk of hereditary breast cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Ewha Womans Univ.; 2007.
- Erblich J, Brown K, Kim Y, Valdimarsdottir HB, Livingstone BE, Bovbjerg DH. Development and validation of a breast cancer genetic counseling knowledge questionnaire. Patient Education and Counseling 2005;56:182-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2004.02.007
- Ondrusek N, Warner E, Goel V. Development of a knowledge scale about breast cancer and heredity (BCHK). Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 1999;53:69-75. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006114710328
- Oncology Nursing Society. ONS genetics short course for cancer nurses: Whtat's your role in the genetics revolution? Pittsburgh: Oncology Nursing Society;2005.
- Lashley FR. Thinking about genetics in new ways. J Nurs Schol 1997;29:202.
- George FB. Genetics: Challenges for nursing education. J Pediatri Nurs 1992;17:5-8.
- Kim HJ, Choi JY. A study on genetic counseling curriculum, accreditation of the training program, and the certification process of genetic counselors in Korea. J Genetic Medicine 2009; 6:38-55.
- Blazer KR, MacDonald DJ, Ricker C, Sand S, CUman G, Weitzel JN. Outcomes from intensive training in genetic cancer risk counseling for clinicians. J Genet Med 2005;7:40-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.GIM.0000151154.27612.49
- Carroll JC, Rideout AL, Wilson BJ, Allanson J, Blaine SM, Esplen MJ, et al. Genetic education for primary care providers; Improving attitudes, knowledge, and confidence. Can Fam Physician 2009;55:92-9.
- Masny A, Daly M, Ross E, Balshem A, Gillespie D, Weil S. A training course for oncology nurses in familial cancer risk assessment: evaluation of knowledge and practice. J Cancer Educ 2003;18:20-5. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15430154JCE1801_10