- Volume 10 Issue 2
Pilot Study on Development of Telecommunication Guideline for Symptom Management of Lung Cancer Patients
폐암환자 증상관리를 위한 전화상담 가이드라인 개발 예비 조사
- Sung, Ji-Hyun (Department of Nursing, National Cancer Center) ;
- Kim, Min-Young (Department of Nursing, National Cancer Center) ;
- Hwang, Ok-Hee (Department of Nursing, National Cancer Center) ;
- Yoo, Han-Jin (Department of Nursing, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Eun-Ja (Department of Nursing Science, Gachon University of Medicine and Science)
- Received : 2010.06.23
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to develop the telecommunication guideline that was possible to make the immediate, logical decisions and to evaluate the possibility of the use by verifying it from the specialists' group. Methods: Telecommunication guideline was designed with selected six symptoms which were pain, dyspnea, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and cough based on the results of literature. Results: This study showed that the patients understood well about the contents of the questions, examination, and education. Also, 85% of them fulfilled the guidelines of the adjustment and more of them were satisfied with the results shown to all of them compared to the previous telecommunication. And 95% of them replied that the information from the telecommunication was more useful than any other information sources related to the information of cancer and self management that were used previously. Conclusion: The telecommunication was considered to complement the weakness during the time the cancer patients spent at home after the treatments. Also, it was expected to be a role as an immediate and comprehensive method of decision making and a passage for information supply which was considered the specialty of individual patient related to an inquiry of the self management.
- Oh EG. Functional status lung cancer. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2002;14:491-500.
- Chung, BY, Kim, KH. Nursing Needs and Family Burdens of Caregivers who have had Terminal Cancer Patinets. J Kyungpook Research institute of Nursing Science 2003;7(2):63-82.
- Lee SW, Lee EO, Huh DS, Noh KH, Kim HS, Kim SR, et al. The study on the medical and nursing service neeeds of the terminal cancer patients and their caregivers. J Korean Acad Nurs 1998;28:958-69. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19188.8.131.528
- Sheen, SS. Development of Clinical Parctice Guidelines. J Korea Society of Quality Assurance in Health Care 2003;10(2):266-77.
- Margaret Hickey, Susan Newton. Telephone Triage For Oncology Nurses. Oncology Nursing Society, Pittburgh, PA;2005.
- Nursing Professional Advisory Committee. Telephone nursing practice and symptom management guidelines. Available at: http://www.cancercare.on.ca/common/pages/UserFile.aspx?fileId=13838 on 3 March 2009.
- Korean Society for Hospice and Palliative Care (KSHPC) & Korean Cancer Study Group (KCSG). Cancer pain guideline. Seoul: Koonja;2001.
- Chang HK. Development of web-based self-care algorithms on symptom management for cancer patients. Unpublished Masters thesis, Seoul: Seoul National Univ.;2000.
- Lee EO, Kim JE, Park HA, Kwon IG. Development and evaluation of symptom management guidelines for cancer patients. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2005;17:208-18.
- Greenberg ME, Schultz C. Telephone nursing: Client experiences and perceptions. Nurs Econ 2002;20(4):181-7.
- Kim AS, Lee ES, Kim SH. Effects of telephone intervention as supportive nursing on self-care practices and quality of life for gynecological cancer patients under chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:744-53. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.744
- Kim KH, Park KS. Theory and Practice of telephone counseling. Seoul: Samwon,1993.
- Song AS, Park IH, Joo AR. Effects of supportive care using the telephone for mothers of premature infants an anxiety and confidence of baby care after discharge. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health 2007;11:98-108. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2007.11.1.98
- Song MS, Kim HS. Effects of Diabetes Education and Telephone Counseling on Depression in Patients with Diabetes. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2008;20:481-8.
- Lee, SH. The Effect of a telephone follow-up management selfefficacy and Self-care activities in Continuous Ambulatory peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD) patients. Unpublished Masters thesis, Incheon: Gachon Univ. of Medicine and Science;2006.
- Kwon KE. Information needs & satisfaction among family members of terminal cancer patients using phone counselling. Unpublished Masters thesis, Seoul: Hanyang Univ.;2008.
- Kim HJ. Analysis of users' satisfaction for telephone cancer information service. Unpublished Masters thesis, Seoul: Yonsei Univ.;2006.