- Volume 10 Issue 2
The Experiences of Prayer in Christian Patients with Breast Cancer
기독교인 유방암 환자의 기도경험
- Lee, Won-Hee (College of Nursing & Nursing Policy Research Institute, Yonsei University) ;
- Sung, Ji-Hyun (National Cancer Center, Goyang) ;
- Lee, Jung-Eun (College of Nursing, Yonsei University) ;
- Kang, Kyung-Ah (Department of Nursing, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2010.06.20
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to understand the meaning of prayer in Christian patients with breast cancer. Methods: Data collection and analysis were conducted by the Colaizzi analysis of phenomenological method. Data were collected by in-depth interviewing the participants and by further follow-up observations. Sixteen patients participated in this study. Results: The significant statements (188), formulated meanings (42), themes (38), clusters of theme (10), and categories (5) were emerged. The 5 categories were as follows: communication with God, healing and peace, spiritual growth, distrust in prayer, and method of prayer. Conclusion: Further studies need to consider the period of faith, comparison between christian and other religions, and length of diagnosis. A better understanding of the meaning of prayer will lead to a more comprehensive view of the spiritual care for patients with breast cancer, and can lead to guidelines for assessment and intervention to reduce suffering from cancer.
- Korean National Statistical Office. Annual report on the cause of death statistics (Based on vital registration) [cited 2008 May 10]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr
- Kim BR, Kim YH, Kim JS, Jeong IS, Kim JS. A study to the coping patterns of cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003; 33:321-30. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.321
- Yoon MO, Park JS. Live spiritual experiences of patients with terminal cancer. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2003; 14:445-56.
- Taylor EJ. Nurses caring for the spirit: patients with cancer and family caregivers expectations. Oncol Nurs Forum 2003;30:585-90. https://doi.org/10.1188/03.ONF.585-590
- Kim CJ, Hur HK, Kang DH, Kim BH. The effects of psychosocial interventions to improve stress and coping in patients with breast cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2006;34:1069-80.
- Lee ML. Concept analysis of spirituality in cancer patients: focusing on christianity, buddhism, and atheism and agnosticism [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2002.
- Fish S, Shally JA. Spiritual care: The nurse's role. Illinois:I.V.P.; 1988.
- Yoon MO. Development and effect of spiritual nursing program for the terminal cancer patients [dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2005.
- Meraviglia MG. Critical analysis of spirituality and its empirical indicators: Prayer and meaning in life. J Holist Nurs 1999;17:18-33. https://doi.org/10.1177/089801019901700103
- Choi HS. Spiritual nursing care needs of christian inpatients [dissertation]. Seoul:Ewha Womans Univ.;1987.
- Lee SW, Lee EO, Park HA, Oh HS, Ahn HS, Huh DS, et al. A study on home visiting hospice care of the terminally ill patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 1988;1:39-46.
- Taylor EJ, Outlaw FH. Use of prayer among persons with cancer. Holist Nurs Pract 2002;16(3):46-60.
- Kim JN, Song MO. Effect of spiritual nursing intervention on spiritual well-being and depression of hospice patients. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2004;15:132-44.
- Yoon MO. The effect of spiritual nursing intervention on patin and anxiety o the hospice patients [dissertation]. Iksan:Wonkwang Univ.;2000.
- Fawzy FI, Fawzy NW, Kemeny ME, Elashoff R, Morton D. A structured psychiatric intervention for cancer patients. I. Changes over time in methods of coping and affective disturbance. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1990;47:720-5. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1990.01810200028004
- Park BW, Hwang SY, Lee KS. A preliminary study of psychoeducational support group program for breast cancer patients. Korean J Social Welfare studies 2000;15:291-310.
- Rawl SM, Given BA, Given CW, Champion VL, Kozachik SL, Barton D, et al. Intervention to improve psychological functioning for newly diagnosed patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2002;29:967-75. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.967-975
- Spiegel D, Bloom J, Kraemer HC, Gottheil E. Effect of psychosocial treatment on survival of patients with metastatic breast cancer. Lancet 1989;14:888-91.
- Colaizzi P. Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it. In Valle R, King M (Eds). Existential phenomenological alternatives for psychology (pp48-71). New York:Oxford University Press;1978.
- Sandelowski M. The problem of rigor in qualitative research. Adv Nurs Sci 1986;8(3):27-37.
- Kwon IG, Park EY, Ham YH, Rhoo SS, Lee EO. Effects of the self-help group program for promoting self-transcendence in women with breast cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2001;1:217-28.
- Shelly JA, Miller AB. Called to care : A christian theology of nursing. IL:InterVarsity Press;1999.
- Kim HS. The comparison of the stress and coping methods of cancer patients and their caregivers. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003; 33:538-43. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.538
- Shelly JA. Nursing for healing soul. Seoul:I.V.P.;2001.
- Taylor EJ. Spiritual care nursing: what cancer patients and family caregivers want. J Adv Nurs 2005;49:260-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03285.x
- Song MO. Effect of spiritual nursing intervention on spiritual well-being and depression of the hospice patients [dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2003.
- Kim MR. Effect of hospice nursing intervention on depression of the patients having mastectomy. Pusan:Kosin Univ.;1997.
- Forta RH. Spiritual nurisng. Seoul:Hyunmoon Publishing;1995.
- Lee HL. Effect of relaxing music on stress response of patients with acute myocardial infarction [dissertation]. Daegu: Keimyung Univ.;2002.