- Volume 10 Issue 2
Foot Reflexology for the Intervention of Sensations after Breast Cancer Surgery: A Single-blind Repeated Measured Pilot Study with Comparison Group of Lavender Foot Bath
유방암 수술 후 부정적 감각 개선을 위한 발반사마사지의 효과: 라벤더 족욕과의 비교
- Kim, Dal-Sook (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, In-Sook (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2010.06.18
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to compare the improvement and maintenance effects of foot reflexology (FR) on sensations after breast cancer surgery with those of lavender foot bath (LFB). Methods: Using a single-blind design, both 18 women to receive 20-min FR by trained experts and 14 women to soak feet in
- National Cancer Information Center Online [http://cancer.go.kr]. Ministry of Health and Welfare and National Cancer Center [Cited 2010 May 30]. Available from: http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/statics/incidence/index.html#4
- Baron RH, Kelvin JF, Bookbinder M, Cramer L, Borgen PI, Thaler HT. Patients' sensations after breast cancer surgery. Cancer Practice 2000;8: 215-22. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5394.2000.85005.x
- Baron RH, Fey JV, Raboy S, Thaler HT, Borgen PI, Temple LK, et al. Eighteen sensations after breast cancer surgery: a comparison of sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary lymph node dissection. BARON 2002;29:651-9.
- Baron RH, Fey JV, Borgen PI, Zee KJ. Eighteen sensations after breast cancer surgery: a two-year comparison of sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary lymph node dissection. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004;31:691-8. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.691-698
- Baron RH, Fey JV, Borgen PI, Stempel MM, Hardick KR, Zee KJ. Eighteen sensations after breast cancer surgery: a two-year comparison of sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary lymph node dissection. Ann Surg Oncol 2006;14:1654-61.
- Jeong YH, Kim DS. Patients's experiences of sensations after breast cancer surgery in Korean women. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2009;9:145-54.
- Miguel R, Kuhn AM, Shons AR, Dyches P, Albert MD, Peltz ES, et al. The effect of sentinel node selective axillary lymphadenectomy on the incidence of postmastectomy pain syndrome. Cancer Control 2001;8:427-30.
- Maunsell E, Brisson J, Deschenes l. Arm problems and psychological distress after surgery for breast cancer . Can J Surg 1993; 36:315-20.
- Viholm OJ, Cold S, Rasmussen L, Sindrup SH. The postmastectomy pain syndrome : an epidemiological study on the prevalence of chronic pain after surgery for breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2008;99:604-10. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604534
- Catlin CG, Schulmeister L. When medication is not enough: nonpharmacologic management of pain. Clin J Oncol Nurs 2007; 11:699-704. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.CJON.699-704
- Deng G, Cassileth BR. A. Integrative oncology: complementary therapy for pain, anxiety, and mood. Cancer J Clin 2005; 55:109-16. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.109
- Blunt E. Foot reflexology. Holistic Nurs Practice 2006;20:257-9.
- Cade M. Reflexology. Kansas Nurse 2002;77(5):5-6.
- Stephenson NL, Weinlich SP, Tavakoli AS. The effects of foot reflexology on anxiety and pain in patients with breast and lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2000;27:67-72.
- Stephenson N, Dalton JA, Carlson. The effect of foot reflexology on pain in patients with metastatic cancer. Appl Nurs Res 2003;16:284-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2003.08.003
- Stephenson NL, Swanson M, Dalton JA, Keefe FJ, Engelke M. Partner-delivered reflexology : effects on cancer pain and anxiety. Oncol Nurs Forum 2007;34:127-32. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.127-132
- Wilkinson S. Lockhart K, Gambles M, Storey L. Reflexology for symptom relief in patients with cancer. Cancer Nurs 2008; 31:354-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305756.58615.81
- Fishbain DA, Lewis JE, Cutler R, Cole B, Rosomoff HL, Rosomoff RS. Can the neuropathic pain scale discriminate between non-neuropathic and neuropathic? Pain Med 2008;9:149-60. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2007.00302.x
- Brown CA, Lido C. Reflexology teatment for patients with lower limb amputations and phantom limb pain: an exploratory pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2008;14:124-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2007.12.006
- Hughes CM, Smyth S, Lowe-Strong. Reflexology for the treatment of pain in people with multiple sclerosis: a double-blind randomized sham-controlled clinical trial. Multiple Sclerosis 2009;15:1329-38. https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458509345916
- Cavanagh HM, Wilkinson JM. Biological activities of lavender essential oil. Physiother Res 2002;16:301-8.
- Jung BF, Hermann D, Griggs J, Oaklander AL, Dworkin RH. Neuropathic pain with associated with non-surgical treatment of breast cancer. Pain 2005;118:10-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2005.09.014
- Soden k, Vincent K, Craske S, Ashley S. A randomized controlled trial of aromatherapy massage in hospice setting. Palliat Med 2004;18:87-92. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216304pm874oa
- Buckle J. Aromatherapy as a complimentary treatment for chronic pain. Altern Ther Health Med 1999;5(5):42-51.
- Alexander JK, DeVries AC, Kigerl KA, Dahlman JM, Popovich PG. Stress exacerbates neuropathic pain via glucocorticoid and NMDA receptor activation. Brain Behav Immun 2009;23:851-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2009.04.001
- Smith WC, Bourne D, Squair J, Phillips DP, Chambers WA. A retrospective cohort study of post mastectomy pain syndrome. Pain 1999;83:91-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(99)00076-7
- Wikipedia. Distress (Document on the internet). The free encyclopedia. Available from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_(medicine) [accessed on 1 August 2010].
- Jeon, MH. An Experience of Life Following Breast Cancer Surgery. PhD [dissertation]. Seoul (Korea): Seoul National University; 2004.