- Volume 10 Issue 2
Effects of Progressive Muscle Relaxation on Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Anxiety, and Depression in Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
점진적 근육이완요법이 항암화학요법환자의 오심과 구토, 피로, 불안 및 우울에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Young-Jae (Chosun Nursing College, Gwangju) ;
- Seo, Nam-Sook (Department of Nursing, Dongshin University)
- Received : 2010.06.17
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of progressive muscle relaxation on nausea, vomiting, fatigue, anxiety, and depression in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Methods: This study was a quasi-experimental research using non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design. Data were collected from outpatients in a university hospital from April to August, 2009. There were 74 participants, 39 in the experimental group and 35 in the control group. The experimental group was given daily the progressive muscle relaxation for 20 min during three weeks. The structured questionnaire was used to measure nausea, vomiting, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Data were analyzed using the SPSS/WIN 12.0 program,
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Retrieved May 28, 2010, from http://stat.mw.go.kr/homepage/news/press_content.jsp?ctrl_command=doNothing&curr_page=1&menu_id=33&seq_no=9914.
- Song MS, Shin GY. Efficacy of progressive muscle relaxation training in reducing nausea and vomiting, anxiety and symptom distress of cancer chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 1987;17: 195-203.
- Jung KH. The effect of muscle relaxation therapy on nausea, vomiting and anxiety of children with chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs 2000;6:60-8.
- Ream E, Richardson A, Alexander-Dann C. Supportive intervention for fatigue in patients undergoing chemotherapy: a randomized controlled trial. J Pain Symptom Manage 2006;31:148-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2005.07.003
- So WK, Marsh G, Ling WM, Leung FY, Lo JC, Yeung M, et al. Anxiety, depression and quality of life among Chinese breast cancer patients during adjuvant therapy. Eur J Oncol Nurs 2010; 14:17-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2009.07.005
- Burish TG, Lyles JN. Effectiveness of relaxation training in reducing the adverseness of chemotherapy in treatment of cancer. J Behav Med 1981;4:65-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00844848
- Cheung YL, Molassiotis A, Chang AM. The effect of progressive muscle relaxation training on anxiety and quality of life after stoma surgery in colorectal cancer patients. Psychooncology 2002;12:254-66.
- Yoo HJ, Ahn SH, Kim SB, Kim WK, Han OS. Efficacy of progressive muscle relaxation training and guided imagery in reducing chemotherapy side effects in patients with breast cancer and in improving their quality of life. Support Care Cancer 2005;13: 826-33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0806-7
- Jacobson E. Progressive relaxation. University of Chicago Press; 1974.
- Holland JC, Morrow GR, Schmale A, Derogatis L, Stefanek M, Berenson S, et al. A randomized clinical trial of alprazolam versus progressive muscle relaxation in cancer patients with anxiety and depressive symptoms. J Clin Oncol 1991;9:1004-11.
- Molassiotis A. A pilot study of the use of progressive muscle relaxation training in the management of post-chemotherapy nausea and vomiting. Eur J Cancer Care 2008;9:230-4.
- Lehrer PM. How to relax and how not to relax: A re-evaluation of the work of Edmund Jacobson-I. Behav Res Ther 1982; 20:417-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(82)90063-8
- Rhodes VA. Nausea, vomiting and retching. Nurs Clin North Am 1990;25:885-900.
- Carpenito LJ. Nursing diagnosis: application to clinical practice. Philadelphia:JB. Lippincott;1992.
- Spielberger CD. Anxiety current trends in theory and research. New York: NY Academic Press;1972.
- Beck AT, Ward CH, Meldelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1961; 4:561-71. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for behavioral science. New York:Academic Press;1988.
- Rhodes VA, McDaniel RW. The index of nausea, vomiting and retching: a new format of the index of nausea and vomiting. Oncol Nurs Forum 1999;26:889-93.
- Kim YJ, Kim JY, Choi IR, Kim MW, Rhodes VA. The index of nausea, vomiting and retching(Korean translation). J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2000;12:278-85.
- Suh EY, Lee EO. The effects of rhythmic walking exercise on physical strength, fatigue and functional status of breast cancer patients in adjuvant chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1997;9:422-37.
- Bang KA. The effect of hand reflexology on nausea, vomiting, and fatigue in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy [dissertation]. Daegu, Korea:Keimyung Univ;2003.-
- Kim JY, Shin DK. A study based on the standardization of the STSI for Korea. Newest Med J 1987;21(11):69-75.
- Han HM, Yum TJ, Shin YW, Kim GH, Yun DG, Jung GJ. A study of standard Beck depression inventory. J Korean Neuropsychiatr 1986;25:487-502.
- Molassiotis A, Yung HP, Yam BM, Chan FY, Mok TS. The effectiveness of progressive muscle relaxation training in managing chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in Chinese breast cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial. Support Care Cancer 2002; 10:237-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-001-0329-9
- Kim YJ, Cho IS, So HS. Changes on index of nausea, vomiting, and retching in hospitalized cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2004;34:1326-33. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.7.1326
- Donovan KA, Jacobsen PB. Fatigue, depression, and insomnia: evidence for a symptom cluster in cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs 2007;23:127-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2007.01.004
- Kwon YE. A study of the relationship between fatigue and quality of life in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1999;11:820-30.
- Yang JH. The effects of foot reflexology on nausea, vomiting and fatigue of breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35:177-85. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.1.177