- Volume 10 Issue 2
Understanding on Chemotherapy and Self-Care in Cancer Patients after an Individual Education
항암화학요법 개별교육을 받는 암 환자의 교육이해도와 자가간호수행 정도
- Kim, Eun-Mi (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Hee-Jin (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Soo-Jin (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Bo-Kyung (Department of Nursing, Seoul National University Hospital)
- Received : 2010.06.14
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: This study was conducted to examine understanding of chemotherapy of cancer patients after they received individual education on it and their execution of self-care for symptoms. Methods: Thirty-two participants who received individual education on chemotherapy from nurses specializing in education for cancer patients when they started to take chemotherapy were asked to complete the questionnaire on their understanding in education and execution of self-care. Results: Understanding on chemotherapy education of the participants recorded 4.30 on a scale of one to five with five the highest. Regarding self-care for symptoms, all participants carried out one or more methods of self-care except for one person each for vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation. Conclusion: This study showed that cancer patients who received individual education on chemotherapy performed self-care for their symptoms.
- Korean National Statistical Office. Annual report on the cause of death statistics on 2005.
- Kim NK. Drug therapy, Chemotherapy. Seoul:Seoul National University Press;1997.
- Park JK. Cancer information. Goyang:National Cancer Center Press;2004.
- Kim JH. Nursing program development and application for chemotherapy patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.; 2003.
- Kim EK. Post discharge nursing needs of patients with open heart surgery[dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;1993.
- Gu MO. The effect of a self regulation education program for the promotion & maintenance of self care behavior in the chronically ill patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 1994;26:113-27.
- Yu MD. Educational needs and perceived understanding of treatment in patients with cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.; 2003.
- Lee EO, Kim JE, Park HA, Lee EH, Kwon IG. Development of cancer patients' symptom management guideline. Seoul:National reaserch foundation of Korea;2004.
- Chang HK. Development of web-based self-care algorithms on symptom management for cancer patients[dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National Univ.;2002.
- Kim BJ, Kim YH, Chun MH, Choi JS. Nursing and symptom management of cancer patient. Seoul:Hyunmoonsa.;2000.
- Han KJ, Seo MJ, Park YS, Park SA, Choi MA, HA YS, et al. Nursing intervention theory and practical application. Seoul: Seoul National Univ. press;1997.
- Lauer P, Murphy SP, Powers MJ. Learning needs of cancer patients: a comparison of nurse and patients perception. Nurs Res 1982;31:11-6.
- Orem DE. Nursing Concepts Of Practice. Missouri: Mosby-Year Book;1991.
- Dodd MJ. Measuring information intervention for chemotherapy knowledge and self-care behavior. Res Nurs Health 1984; 7:43-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770070108
- Cho YS. A study of the effect on the knowledge and performance and self care in the individualized education for chemotherapy[ dissertation]. Seoul:Chung-Ang Univ.;2002.
- Kwon IS, Eun Y. The Development of a Continuing Nursing Care Program for Cancer Patients after Discharge. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2001;31:89-93.
- Molassiotis A, Chan CWH. Fatigue patterns in chinese patients receiving chemotherapy. Eur J of Oncol Nurs 2001;5:60-7. https://doi.org/10.1054/ejon.2000.0098
- DiLiberto C, Caroprese M, Pizzo G, Complilato D, Fulfaro E, Rinaldi T, et al. Oral complication in patients with head and neck after radio-chemotherapy: mucositis and xerostomia. Receti Prog Med 2007;98:302-14.
- Kim TY. The effect of reaction management education on knowledge and self care in cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy[dissertation]. Jeonbuk:Chonbuk National Univ.;2008.