- Volume 10 Issue 2
Cancer Risk Perception and Cancer Related Health Behavior in College Students
일부 대학생의 암 발생요인에 대한 지각과 암 관련 건강행위
- Shin, Gye-Young (Department of Nursing, Shinheung College) ;
- Joo, Mee-Kyoung (Department of Nursing, Kyungbok College)
- Received : 2010.05.28
- Accepted : 2010.08.02
- Published : 2010.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to survey the college students' perception of cancer risks, cancer related health behavior, and perception of cancer occurrence possibility before and after age 40. Methods: The subjects were 771 college students who were conveniently selected from two colleges in the Gyeonggi Province. Data were analyzed using SPSS WIN 12.0. Results: The mean score of cancer risk perception was 3.8. The highest score item was 'smoking may cause cancer'. The mean score of cancer related health behavior was 3.0. The highest score item was 'take bath or shower'. Student felt that possibility of developing cancer before age 40 was 20.1% and that after age 40 was 36.2%. The perception of cancer risks was significantly different between male and female, and the health behavior was significantly different between age groups. There were weak relationships between the perception of cancer risks and cancer related health behavior. Conclusion: College students' perception of cancer risks was mostly good, but their behavior to reduce the risks did not match the degree of perception. Students recognized that after age 40 has a higher risk of developing cancer, therefore, intervention on behavioral modification to reduce cancer risks would be beneficial.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. 2008 Cause of death. Available at http://kosis.kr/nsportal/abroad/abroad_01List.jsp [accessed on June 20, 2009].
- National Cancer Registry. 5-Year survival rate. Available at http://ncc.re.kr/manage/manage03_033_list.jsp[accessed on May 1, 2010].
- Cancer Information Center. National cancer screening project. Available at http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/checkup/prophylaxis/general/index.html[accessed on February 14, 2009].
- Meng KH. A case-control study on risk factors of five major cancers in adult Koreans. Korean J Epidemiol 1993;15:59-73.
- Shin GY, Ham MY. A study for development of educational contents about cancer prevention. Shin Heung Res 2005;28: 369-93.
- Smith RA, Cokkinides V, Brawley OW. Cancer screening in the United State, 2008: A review of current American cancer society guidelines and cancer screening issues. CA Cancer J Clin 2008;58:161-79. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0017
- Moon SS, Lee SB. A study of health behavior through comparative analysis of self-perceived health status and health examination results. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 2001;18:11-36.
- Kim SK, Lee BS. Knowledge, attitude and preventive health behavior of high school students on the six most common cancers in Korea. Keimyung J Nurs Sci 2006;10:135-48.
- Oh BJ. An integrative review of oncology nursing research in Korea: 2003-2008. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2010;10:80-7.
- Suh SR, Jung BY, So HS, Tae YS. A study to advance the development of educational programs for the early detection and prevention of the five major cancer in Korea. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1998;10:268-80.
- Choi IK, Seo HY, Sul H, Choi G, Sung HJ, Park KH, et al. A survey of cancer perception in the students of Korea university. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2003;6:172-6.
- American Cancer Society. Cancer prevention & early detection facts & figures 2008. 1-25.
- Park ER, Ostroff JS, Rakowski W, Gareen IF, Diefenbach MA, Feibelmann S, et al. Risk perceptions among participants undergoing lung cancer screening: Baseline results from the national lung screening trial. Ann Behav Med 2009;37:268-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-009-9112-9
- Choi MK. A study on health behavior of nursing students. J Korean Soc Health Educ 1998;12:185-98.
- Lee HK, Cheon SJ, Jwang MH, Suh SR. Nursing students' perceptions on diet and as environmental factors related to cancer risk factors. J Korean Acad Nurs 1998;28:193-200. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1922.214.171.124
- Oh JJ. Comparative study on the health behavior and related factors of the Korean elderly and non-elderly adults. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1997;9:286-96.
- Yoo JS, Kim CJ, Park JW. A study of the correlation between health perception, health behavior, and health status of adolescents. Yonsei Non Chong 1985;25;169-87.
- Lee OS, Suk IS. A study on the health perception and health behaviors in nursing students. J Korea Community Health Nurs Acad Soc 1997;11:39-50.
- Suh YO. A comparative study on health-promoting behavior between man and women college students. Soonchunhyang University, Res of Stud Life 2001;8:63-82.
- Yi SE, Oh K, Park YJ, Kim J, Kim HS, Oh KO, et al. Structural equation model for the health behaviors of university nursing students in Korea. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2004;10:278-88.
- Kim NJ. A study on the relation of health concern, health behavior, and subjective health status between the aged and the preliminary aged group. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 2000;17:99-110.