- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Diversity in MIS Research Between South Korea and China: 1999~2003
한국-중국간 경영정보학연구의 다양성비교 : 1999년 ~ 2003년
- Received : 2010.02.24
- Accepted : 2010.05.10
- Published : 2010.06.30
The focus of this study is to analyze between South Korea and China in terms of diversity in Management Information Systems research. As a result, there is herding phenomenon regarding researches in both of the countries compared to other previous studies. There also seemed to be lack of in-depth study of basic theories and connection to related field of study considering the broad topics of management information, unlike other international journals that pursue diversity in control referencing various methodologies, analysis units and many citations. Therefore, both South Korea and China should stabilize theoretical base of MIS through securing independent field of MIS along with founding the fundamentals by searching in diversified fields, methodologies and analysis units with focused topics. The upshot here is that with respect to diversity in MIS from both countries, to alleviate herding phenomenon, enforcing accuracy of data collection and reducing convenience pursuit should be implemented. Also as criteria to select a topic, different kinds of consulting concepts and taking social issues into consideration that helps tool development and analysis power should be done. Through varied methodologies, tool development and analysis power should be assisted and analysis unit should be shifted to organization unit for Korea and team or individual for China only to augment the accessibility. As a limitation for the paper is that the data used in this analysis is secondary data. In addition, although time period used in both countries were the same, object of analysis had homogeneity in Korean case while Chinese one having heterogeneity from 19 different journals. For the future studies, multicultural comparison or time series analysis and their comparison in deeper approach with regard to object of analysis and methodologies can contribute to further MIS diversity.
Supported by : 금오공과대학교
- 강신철, 경영정보학 학술지의 통계적 기법 활용 타당성 평가, 경영정보학연구, 제7권 2호, 1997, pp. 77-102.
- 김기문.박충신.김준석.이호근.임건신, '경영정보학연구;'의 연구 다양성 평가, 경영정보학연구, 제15권 제2호, 2005, pp. 149-170
- 류영태, "정보시스템연구의 연구경향에 대한 분석: 2001-2008," 정보시스템연구, 제18권, 제2호, 2009, pp. 35-59. https://doi.org/10.5859/KAIS.2009.18.2.035
- 백상용, "질적연구의 의미와 한계: 양적연구와의 비교를 통하여," 정보시스템연구, 제15권, 제1호, 2006, pp. 239-254. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000627
- 백상용.박경수, 한국 경영정보학연구 경향 분석:1974-1993, 경영정보학연구, 제5권 2호, 1995, 37-50
- 서은경.한인구, 경영정보학분야의 계량서지학적 분석, 경영정보학연구, 제7권 3호, 1997, 145-165.
- 오재인, 경영정보학의 학문적 위상에 관한 연구, 경영정보학연구, 제8권, 제3호, 1998, pp. 181-194 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2575.1998.00983.x
- Alavi, M. and Carlson, P., "A review of MIS Research and Disciplinary Development," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 8, No. 4, 1992, pp. 45-62. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.1992.11517938
- Barkhi, R. and Sheetz, S. D. "The State of Theoretical Diversity in Information Systems," Communications of the AIS, Vol. 7, No. 6, 2001, pp. 1-18.
- Benbasat, I. and Weber, R., "Research Commentary: Rethinking Diversity in Information Systems Research," Information Systems Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1996, pp. 389-399. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.7.4.389
- Culnan, M. and Swanson, E. B., "Research in Management Information Systems 1980-1984: Points of Work and Reference," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 10, No. 3, 1986, pp. 289-301. https://doi.org/10.2307/249263
- Farhoomand, A. F., "Scientific Progress of Management Information Systems," Data Base, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1987, pp. 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1145/1017816.1017821
- Hamilton, S. and Ives, B., "MIS Research Strategies," Information and Management, Vol. 5, No. 6, 1982, pp. 339-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(82)90033-7
- Ji, S., Min, Q., and Han, W.," Research in Information Systems in China(1999-2005) and International Comparisons," Journal of Management Sciences in China, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2006, pp. 76-85.
- Ji, S., Min, Q., and Han, W., "Information Systems Research in China: An Empirical Study," Journal of Global Information Management, Vol. 15, No. 1, 2007, pp. 1-17.
- Landis, J. R. and Koch, G. G., "The Measurement of Observer Agreement for Categorical Data," Biometrics, Vol. 33, No. 1, 1977, pp. 159-174. https://doi.org/10.2307/2529310
- Robey, D. R., "Diversity in Information Systems Research: Threat Promise, and Responsibility," Information Systems Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1996, pp. 400-408. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.7.4.400
- Swanson, E. B. and Ramiller, N., "Information Systems Research Thematics: Submissions to a New Journal, 1987-1992," Information Systems Research, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1993, pp. 299-330. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.4.4.299
- Vessey, R., Ramesh, V., and Glass, R. L., "Research in Information Systems: An Empirical Study of Diversity in the Discipline and Its Journals," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2002, pp. 129-174.
- Wang Shan and Weng Gengdi, "An Evaluation of Chinese MIS Journals Based on Citation Analysis and Peer Evaluation," Journal of the China Society for Scientific and Technical Information, Vol. 27, No. 1, 2008, pp. 75-83.
- Yu Chen, Development of MIS in China, www.poweriac.com, 2006.