- Volume 28 Issue 4
Meta-Analysis of Research Papers on Horticultural Therapy Program Effect
원예치료 효과 검증을 위한 연구논문의 메타분석
- Jang, Eu-Jean (Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Han, Go-Wun (Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Hong, Jong-Won (Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Yoon, Sung-Eun (ChungKang College of Cultural Industries) ;
- Pak, Chun-Ho (College of Life Sciences & Biotechnology, Korea University)
- Received : 2010.04.06
- Accepted : 2010.04.14
- Published : 2010.08.31
To analyze the effectiveness of horticultural therapy reported in research papers, a meta-analysis was carried out with 108 of 377 Korean and overseas research papers on horticultural therapy from 1985 to February 2009 (196 Korean dissertations, 113 Korean journal articles, 5 overseas dissertations, and 63 overseas journal articles). The results revealed a large effect size of 0.71. The effectiveness according to the type, age and number of participants were also analyzed. The therapy was most effective in children, and it was more beneficial for children with special needs and elderly people affected by dementia than for the typical population. The greatest effect was found with group sizes of five people or less, and when carried out by researchers from departments related to horticultural therapy than by researchers from unrelated fields of study. The most effective horticultural therapy programs involved floral decorations; and participants who took part in 21 to 30 sessions or at least 31 sessions benefited the most. Among the main effects of short-term horticultural therapy are cognitive, social, physical and emotional; the greatest effect was observed in the physical domain.
Supported by : 고려대학교
- Choi, J.H. 1990. Scholarly monographs and statistical methods. Freedom Academy, Seoul.
- Choi, Y.A. 2003. Horticultural therapy. Hakjisa, Seoul.
- Cohen, J. 1977. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Academic Press, NY.
- Hong, S.Y. 2006. Meta-analysis of the effects of horticultural therapy. MS Diss., Hanyang Univ., Seoul.
- Ji, S.E. 2009. Analysis of study tendency of Korean master's and doctorate degree dissertations on horticulture therapy. MS Diss., Korea Univ., Seoul.
- Kim, S.H. 2007. Meta-analysis for the effectiveness of researches related to horticultural therapy. MS Diss., Konkuk Univ., Seoul.
- Kim, R.B. 2007. Effect of holistic horticultural therapy on the stress and attention concentration of juvenile delinquents. MS Diss., Catholic Univ. of Daegu, Daegu, Korea.
- Lee. W.I. 2002. Meta-analysis on learning strategies intervention studies. MS Diss., Seoul Natl. Univ., Seoul.
- Lipsey, M.W. and D.B. Wilson. 2001. Practical meta-analysis. Sage Publications.
- National Assembly Library (NAL). 2009. http://www.nanet.go.kr.
- National Library of Korea (NLK). 2009. http://www.nl.go.kr.
- Oh, D.M., E.J. Jang, I.S. So, Y.H. Lee, M.R. Huh, Y.A. Choi, and B.G. Heo. 2006a. A research of horticultural activities in therapeutic programs of participants through the paper publish on horticultural therapy in Korea. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 24:110-116.
- Oh, D.M., E.J. Jang, I.S. So, Y.H. Lee, M.R. Huh, Y.A. Choi, and B.G. Heo. 2006b. A research of horticultural activities in therapeutic programs of participants through the papers published on horticultural therapy in Korea. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 24:117-121.
- Relf, P.D. 1981. The use of horticultural in vocational rehabilitation. J. of Rehab. 47:53-56.
- Song, H.H. 2006. Meta-analysis. Cheongmoongak Press, Seoul.
- Sung, S.K., J.W. Choi, and J.C. Lee. 1993. Statistical errors in research papers in Korea management review. Kor. Mgt. Rev. 22:163-198.
- Ulrich, R.S. 1990. Plants and the individual: Their influenced on human behavior, physical health, and perceptions of comport. The role of horticulture in human well-being and social development. National Symposium. Arlington, Virginia.