- Volume 35 Issue 1
Fabrication of Ionization Chamber to Measure the Burnup of Spent Fuel
사용후핵연료 연소도 측정을 위한 이온 챔버 제작
- Park, Se-Hwan (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Eom, Sung-Ho (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Shin, Hee-Sung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Lim, Hye-In (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Ha, Jang-Ho (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Han-Soo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.01.27
- Accepted : 2010.03.12
- Published : 2010.03.30
Burnup of spent fuel should be determined accurately for the safety control of spent fuel. Especially, it is necessary to measure the burnup profile along the nuclear fuel axis. In the present work, an ionization chamber was designed and fabricated to measure the gamma ray profile inside the guide tube of spent fuel. The ionization chamber was composed of three parts; induction part, gas-inlet part, and sensor part. The sensor part had two electrodes; cathode and anode. A guide electrode was considered in the ionization chamber design to make the ionization chamber to be inserted easily into the guide tube. Pure gas (argon and xenon) was inserted into the ionization chamber, and the leakage current and saturation curve were measured to determine the operation characteristics of the ionization chamber. The gamma ray radiation was also measured in relatively high dose environment. The gamma ray profile of the spent fuel will be measured with the ionization chamber.
- Knoll GF. Radiation Detection and Measurement. 2nd ed. New York; John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1989:131-134.
- Toubon H, Riffard C, Batifol M, Pelletier S. Burn-up Credit Applications for UO2 and MOX Fuel Assemblies in AREVA/COGEMA. International Conference on Nuclear Criticality Safety 2003.
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Implementation of Burnup Credit in Spent Fuel Management Systems. IAEA-TECDOC-1013. 1997.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory. Passive Nondestructive Assay of Nuclear Materials. LA-UR-90-732. 1991.
- Lebrun A, Bignan G. Nondestructive assay of nuclear low-enriched uranium spent fuel for burnup credit application. Nuclear Technology 2001;135: 216-229. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT01-A3217
- Oeda K, Naito H, Hirota M, Natsume K, Kumanomido H. Calibration of burnup monitor installed in Rokkasho Reprocessing Plant. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology 2000;37:543-547. https://doi.org/10.3327/jnst.37.543
- Kim YK. Polarity effect on the thimble type ionization chamber at a low dose rate. Physics in medicine and biology 2005;50:4995-5003. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/50/21/003
- 엄성호, 신희성, 안성규, 황용화, 오석진, 김호동, 이 정원, 함영수. 사용후핵연료집합체 내부 위치별 감마선 중성자 측정 기술. 한국방사성폐기물학회 가을 학술논문 요약집 2008:346-347.
- Park SH, Kim HS, Kim YK, Kang SM, KIM JC, Kim JK. Saturation characteristics of the ionization chamber at a low dose rate. Radiation physics and chemistry 2005;73:248-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2005.01.005