- Volume 35 Issue 1
AN INTEGRATED APPROACH TO RISK-BASED POST-CLOSURE SAFETY EVALUATION OF COMPLEX RADIATION EXPOSURE SITUATIONS IN RADIOACTIVE WASTE DISPOSAL
- Seo, Eun-Jin (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Jeong, Chan-Woo (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Sato, Seichi (Hokkaido University)
- Received : 2009.12.21
- Accepted : 2010.02.01
- Published : 2010.03.30
Embodying the safety of radioactive waste disposal requires the relevant safety criteria and the corresponding stylized methods to demonstrate its compliance with the criteria. This paper proposes a conceptual model of risk-based safety evaluation for integrating complex potential radiation exposure situations in radioactive waste disposal. For demonstrating compliance with a risk constraint, the approach deals with important exposure scenarios from the viewpoint of the receptor to estimate the resulting risk. For respective exposure situations, it considers the occurrence probabilities of the relevant exposure scenarios as their probability of giving rise to doses to estimate the total risk to a representative person by aggregating the respective risks. In this model, an exposure scenario is simply constructed with three components:radionuclide release, radionuclide migration and environment contamination, and interaction between the contaminated media and the receptor. A set of exposure scenarios and the representative person are established from reasonable combinations of the components, based on a balance of their occurrence probabilities and the consequences. In addition, the probability of an exposure scenario is estimated on the assumption that the initiating external factors influence release mechanisms and transport pathways, and its effect on the interaction between the environment and the receptor may be covered in terms of the representative person. This integrated approach enables a systematic risk assessment for complex exposure situations of radioactive waste disposal and facilitates the evaluation of compliance with risk constraints.
- Nuclear Energy Agency. Features, Events and Processes (FEPs) for Geological Disposal of Radioactive Waste: An International Database. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2000.
- International Commission on Radiation Protection. Protection from Potential Exposure: A Conceptual Framework. ICRP Publication 64. Pergamon Press, 1993.
- International Commission on Radiation Protection. Radiation Protection Recommendations as Applied to the Disposal of Long-Lived Solid Radioactive Waste. ICRP Publication 81. Pergamon Press, 2000.
- Nuclear Energy Agency. Regulating the Long-Term Safety of Geological Disposal. NEA/RWM/RF (2007)1. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. 2007.
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Near Surface Disposal of Radioactive Waste. WS-R-1, 1999.
- Kumamoto H, Henley EJ. Probabilistic Risk Assessment and Management for Engineers and Scientists. IEEE Press 1996.
- Park CG, Ha JJ. Probabilistic Safety Assessment (in Korean). Brain Korea. 2003.
- Lee CJ, Lee KJ. Application of Bayesian network methodology to the probabilistic risk assessment of nuclear waste disposal facility. Reliab. Eng. Syst. Saf. 2006;91:515-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2005.03.011
- Swedish Nuclear Fuel and Waste Management Company. Dose Assessment for SFR1. SKB R-08-15, 2008.
- International Commission on Radiation Protection. Recommendations of the ICRP. ICRP Publication 103. Pergamon Press, 2008.
- International Commission on Radiation Protection. Assessing Dose of the Representative Person for the Purpose of Radiation Protection of the Public and the Optimization of Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 101. Pergamon Press, 2007.