- Volume 35 Issue 1
A STUDY ON THE EFFECTS OF SCATTERING DOSE ON EYES AND THYROID FOR PANORAMAGRAPHY (Focus on TLD and PLD)
- Jung, Yeun (Department of Radiological Technology, Gwangju Health College University) ;
- Dong, Kyung-Rae (Department of Radiological Technology, Gwangju Health College University) ;
- Kweon, Dae-Cheol (Department of Radiological Science, Shinheung College University) ;
- Dieter, Kevin (Department of Physical Therapy, Gwangju Health College University) ;
- Goo, Eun-Hoe (Department of Radiology, Seoul Medical Center) ;
- Ahn, Se-Youn (Department of Dental Hygiene, Dongnam Health University) ;
- Chung, Jae-Eun (Department of Digital Management and Information, Nambu University)
- Received : 2010.01.05
- Accepted : 2010.02.20
- Published : 2010.03.30
This study concerning the surface dose of eye and thyroid from panoramagraphy used thermoluminescent dosimeter (TLD) and photoluminescent dosimeter (PLD) to take measurements at ten hospitals in the Gwangju metropolitan area. The recommendations from ICRP 60 and ICRP 73 on the allowance standard for eye are 15 mSv and for thyroid is 1 mSv. The left eye TLD and PLD values are 0.19 mSv and 0.24 mSv respectively. The right eye TLD and PLD values are 0.23 mSv and 0.25 mSv respectively. Thyroid TLD and PLD values are 0.08 mSv and 0.25 mSv respectively and did not exceed the allowance standards(p<0.001). Also comparisons are made between TLD and PLD for each organ and PLD has higher dose measurements than TLD. There are statistically significant differences in left eye measurements and thyroid measurements (p<0.01). There is no significant difference in measurements for the right eye (p>0.05). The TLD and PLD measured dose from panoramagraphy instruments on eyes and thyroid from each hospital did not exceed the recommended dose from ICRP 60 for surface dose measurements. However, due to the probability of influence, consideration should be made for all levels of dose.
- Kim BS, Choi KS, Kim CS and Kim BS. Distribution of absorbed dose to the important groans of head and neck region in panoramic radiography. Academy of oral and Maxillofacial Radiology 1990;20(2):253‐264.
- Berge T and Wohn T. Absorbed dose to discrete organs of the head and neck from 4 maxillary occlusal projections. Dento maxillo facial Radiology 1981; 10(2):77‐84. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr.1981.0012
- Brooks S, Lanzetta M. Absorbed doses from temporomandibular joint radiography. J. of Oral Surg. 1985;59:640‐652.
- Priv.‐Doz T. Gonadal doses resulting from panoramic X‐ray examinations of the teeth. J. of Oral Surg. 1965;19:745‐753. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(65)90343-9
- Kuba R and Beck J. Radiation dosimetry in panorex roentgenography II : Pattern of radiation distribution. J. of Oral Surg. 1968;25:386‐392. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(68)90013-3
- Manson‐Hing L and Greer D. Radiation exposure and distribution measurements for three panoramic X‐ray machines. J. of Oral Surg. 1977;44:313‐321. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(77)90286-9
- Myers D. Radiation exposure during panoramic radiography in children. J. of Oral Surg. 1978;46:588‐ 593. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(78)90390-0
- Whitcher B, Gratt B and Sickles E. A lead apron for use in panoramic dental radiography. J. of Oral Surg. 1980;49:467‐470. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(80)90293-5
- Skoczylas LJ. Comparison of X‐radition doses between conventional and rare‐earth panoramic radiographic techniques. J. of Oral Surg. 1989;68:776‐ 781. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(89)90172-2
- Updegrave W. The role of panoramic radiography in diagnosis. J. of Oral Surg. 1966;22:49‐57. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(66)90141-1
- Aken J. and Linden L. The integral ansorbed dose in conventional and panoramic complete‐mouth examinations. J. of Oral Surg. 1966;22:603‐617. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(66)90164-2
- Wall B. Doses to patient from pantomographic and conventional dental radiography. Br.J.of Radiol. 1979;52:727‐734. https://doi.org/10.1259/0007-1285-52-621-727
- White S and Rose T. Absorbed bonemarrow dose in certain dental radiographic techniques. J.A.D.A. 1979; 98:553‐558.
- ICRP Publication 60: ICRP Recommendations. 1990; 82.