- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Movement range and behavior of mandarin fish (Siniperca scherzeri) and catfish (Parasilurus asotus) in Chungju Lake
충주호에서의 쏘가리와 메기의 이동범위 및 행동
- Kang, Kyoung-Mi (BK21 Graduate School of Earth Environmental System, Pukyong National University) ;
- Shin, Hyeon-Ok (Division of Marine Production System Management, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2010.02.05
- Accepted : 2010.03.29
- Published : 2010.05.31
This study was conducted to collect the information on the behavioral characteristics and the habitat environment of mandarin fish (Siniperca schezeri) and catfish (Parasilurus asitus) with acoustic telemetry method in Chungju Lake, Korea. Mandarin fish tended to stay within 1km from the release points in downstream, and had a strong diurnal behavior. They approached to the lakefront at night. They also preferred to stay at deep water off the lakefront. The average swimming speed was faster at night (0.4BL/s) than during a day (0.2BL/s). They swam the shallow water area at night. Catfish frequently moved between upstream and downstream. Catfish tended to act during a day. The average swimming speed was faster during a day (0.3BL/s) than at night (0.2 BL/s). The average swimming depth was 14.3m, and they tended to float about 4m during a day.
Acoustic telemetry;Siniperca scherzeri;Parasilurus asotus,;Diurnal behavior;Chungju Lake
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Breen, M., J. Dyson, F.G. O Neil, E. Jones and M. Haigh. 2004. Swimming endurance of haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus L.) at prolonged and sustained swimming speeds, and its role in their capture by towed fishing gears. ICES J. Mar. Sci., 61, 1071-1079. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icesjms.2004.06.014
- Carol, J., L. Zamora and E. Garcìa-Berthou. 2007. Preliminary telemetry data on the movement patterns and habitat use of European catfish (Silurus glanis) in a reservoir of the River Ebro, Spain. Ecol. Fresh. Fish, 16, 450-456. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0633.2007.00225.x
- Drucker, E.G. and G.V. Lauder. 2000. A hydrodynamic analysis of fish swimming speed: wake structure and locomotor force in slow and fast labriform swimmers. J. Exp. Biol., 203, 2379-2393.
- Jang, S.I. 2003. Fine structure of peripheral blood leucocytes in freshwater mandarin fish (Siniperca scherseri). Korean J. Ichthyol., 15, 248-258.
- Jang, S.I., W.O. Lee, J.Y. Lee, J.H. Cho, S.M. Kim and K.J. Kim. 1997. Mass mortality by Aeromonas hydrophila infection in the production of the Korean mandarin fish fingerling, Siniperca scherzeri. J. Aquaculture, 10, 439-447.
- Jo, J.Y. and Y. Kim. 1999. Oxygen consumption of far eastern catfish, Silurus asotus, on the different water temperature and photoperiods. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 32, 56-61.
- Kang, K.M. and H.O. Shin. 2004. Characteristic of current patterns and structure of bamboo-weir in Samchunpo water area. Fish. Sci., 70, 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2003.00782.x
- Kang, K.M. and H.O. Shin. 2008. Behavioral characteristics of black seabream Acanthopagrus schegeli in Yeosu waters during winter. J. Kor. Fish. Soc., 41, 48-53. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2008.41.1.048
- Kim, I.S. 2006. Freshwater fishes of Korea. Bori Publishing Company, Paju, Korea, pp. 91.
- Kim, S.C. and H.O. Shin. 2001. Research on the geographic characteristics of the sea bed and the distribution of artificial reefs in Jaran Bay. Bull. Kor. Soc. Fish. Technol., 37, 214-222.
- KOSIS, 2008. Report of 2008 trends in fishery production. The Korea National Statistical Office, Seoul, pp 22.
- Lee, Y.A., B.M. Lee, K.C. Choi, S.Y. Park and I.C. Bang. 2005. Early gonadogenesis and sex differentiation of the mandarin fish Siniperca scherzeri. J. Aquaculture, 18, 76-30.
- Lee, W.O., J.Y. Lee, S.J. Son and N.J. Choi. 1997. Early life history and reproductive ecology of mandarin fish, Siniperca scherzeri (Pisces, Centropomidae) in Soyang Lake. Korean J. Ichthyol., 9, 99-107.
- Lee, W.O., S.I. Jang, J.Y. Lee and S.J. Son. 1997. Comparison of morphologucal and chromosomal characteristics and cross breeding of the two the two types korean mandarin fish, Siniperca schezeri. Korean J. Ichthyol, 9, 228-234.
- Lee, W.O., S.I. Jang and J.Y. Lee. 1998. Studies on early life history of the Korean mandarin fish, Siniperca scherzeri (Perciformes: Centropomidae). Korean J. Ichthyol., 10, 1-10.
- Liang, S.F., J.K. Liu and B.Y. Huang. 1998. The role of sense organs in the feeding behaviour of Chinese perch. J. Fish Biol., 52, 1058-1067. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1998.tb00603.x
- Liang, X.F., X. Kin, S. Li and J.K. Liu. 2008. Impact of environmental and innate factors of the food habit of Chinese perch Siniperca chuatsi (Basilewsky) (Percichthyidae). Aqua. Res., 39, 50-157. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2007.01870.x
- Mitamura, H., Y. Mitsunaga, N. Arail and T. Viputhanumas. 2006. Comparison of two methods of attaching telemetry transmitters to the Mekong giant catfish, Pangasianodon gigas. Zool. Sci., 23, 235-238. https://doi.org/10.2108/zsj.23.235
- Mitamura, H., Y. Mitsunaga, N. Arail and T. Viputhanumas. 2008. Movements of immature hatchery-reared Mekong giant catfish Pangasianodon gigas released in the Mekong River, measured using acoustic telemetry. Fish. Sci., 74, 1034-1039. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2008.01621.x
- Myoung, J.G., C. Jung, M.S. Han, P.K. Kim, H.B. Kim, H.J. Choi and M.S. Kim. 1999. Effect of delayed initial feeding on body form, mortality and cannibalism in larval stages of mandarin fish, Siniperca scherzeri (Teleostei : Centropomidae). J. Korean Fish. Soc., 32, 669-673.
- Shin, M.J., J.E. Lee and E.W Seo. 2009. Effect of muddy water on the fishes in Imha reservoir. J. Life Sci., 19, 1112-1118. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.8.1112
- Slavik, O., P. Horky, L. Bartos, J. Kolarova and T. Randak. 2007. Diurnal and seasonal behaviour of adult and juvenile European catfish as determined by radio-telemetry in the River Berounka, Czech Republic. J. Fish. Biol., 71, 101-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2007.01471.x
- Song, H.B. and H.M. Baek. 2005. Population ecology of the common freshwater goby Rhinogobius brunneus (Pisces: Cyprinidae) in Korea. Korean J. Ichthyol., 17, 195-204.
- Suh, K.H., B.J. Kim and J.Y. Jo. 2002. Culture of nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in recirculating aquaculture system. J. Korean Fish. Soc., 35, 27-34. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.1.027
- Movement patterns of three freshwater fish species after upstream transportation by fishway in the Jangheung Dam vol.12, pp.S1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-014-0429-z