- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Management plan for UNESCO Shinan Dadohae Biosphere Reserve (SDBR), Republic of Korea: integrative perspective on ecosystem and human resources
- Lee, Heon-Jong ;
- Cho, Kyoung-Man ;
- Hong, Sun-Kee ;
- Kim, Jae-Eun ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Wan ;
- Lee, Kyoung-Ah ;
- Moon, Kyong-O
- Received : 2009.01.20
- Accepted : 2010.04.06
- Published : 2010.06.01
The archipelago in the southwest sea, Korea, was registered as Shinan Dadohae Biosphere Reserve by United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization Man and the Biosphere (UNESCO MAB) on May 26, 2009. This study was conducted to determine a method of reconciling natural and anthropogenic processes and to enable sustainable development in the vicinity of the Shinan Dadohae Biosphere Reserve (SDBR). To accomplish this, the characteristics of SDBR with respect to biodiversity and cultural diversity were evaluated. In addition, a management plan regarding the wise use of the SDBR was developed while focusing on four parts: cultural support to induce motivation for native conservation and development; development and specification of fisheries and cultivation based on local community systems; restructuring of marine food products and resource transporting systems; activation and discovery of indigenous knowledge to enable networking between local residents, academia and the UNESCO-international society.
biodiversity;island culture;Shinan Dadohae Biosphere Reserve;sun-dried salt;sustainable development;tidal flat;UNESCO
- Cho KM. 1995. Island ecosystem and island culture: a review of the studies on the island cultures in the southwestern part of Korea. Moden Soc Sci Res 6: 193-219.
- Gossling S. 1999. Ecotourism: a means to safeguard biodiversity and ecosystem functions? Ecol Econ 29: 303-320. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(99)00012-9
- Hong SK, Nakagoshi N, Fu B, Morimoto Y. 2007. Landscape Ecological Applications in Man-Influenced Areas: Linking Man and Nature Systems. Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht.
- Hong SK, Koh CH, Harris RR, Kim JE, Lee JS, Ihm BS. 2010. Land use in Korean tidal wetlands: impacts and management strategies. Environ Manage 45: 1014-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-006-0164-3
- Ihm BS, Kang JH, Lee KC. 1998. Studies on the Structure and Function of Coastal Wetland Ecosystem to Conserve Coastal Area. Mokpo National University, Muan.
- Kim JM, Kim JM, Lee SM. 2007. Development of modules for the restoration of tidal-flat. J Kor Soc Mar Environ Eng 10 Suppl: 127-130.
- Kiss A. 2004. Is community-based ecotourism a good use of biodiversity conservation funds? Trends Ecol Evol 19: 232-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2004.03.010
- Koh CH. 1997. Korean megatidal environments and tidal power projects: Korean tidal flats-biology, ecology and land uses by reclamation and other feasibilities. La Houille Banche 3: 66-78.
- Koh CH. 2001. Geomorphology and dyking of the Korean tidal flat. In: The Korean Tidal Flat: Environment, Biology, and Human (Koh CH, ed). Seoul National University Press, Seoul, pp 76-85.
- Koh CH, Shin HC. 1988. Environmental characteristics and distribution of macrobenthos in a mud flat of the west coast of Korea (Yellow Sea). Neth J Sea Res 22: 279-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0077-7579(88)90030-0
- Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute. 2001. Studies on Inventories and a Sustainable Use of Tidal Flats in Korea, BSPM 118-00-1370-3. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Busan.
- Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute. 2002. Studies on Inventories and a Sustainable Use of Tidal Flats in Korea, BSPM 16100-1465-3. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Busan.
- Lim HS, Park KY, Ihm BS, Lee JS, Chu SD. 1997. Macrozoobenthic community on the mud-tidal flat around Mokpo coastal area, Korea. Korean J Ecol 20: 355-365.
- Ministry of Environment. 2005. A Study on Natural Environment Protection Plan of Islands and Costal Area. Korean Environmental Policy Evaluation Research Center, Gwachon.
- Ministry of Oceanic and Marine Products. 1999a. Tidal-flat Ecosystem Research and the Study on Sustainable Using Plan I, BSPM 99035-00-1228-3. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Busan.
- Ministry of Oceanic and Marine Products. 1999b. Tidal-flat Ecosystem Research and the Study on Sustainable Using Plan IV, BSPM 16100-1465-3. Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Busan.
- Ministry of Oceanic and Marine Products. 2002. Korean Maritime Culture 2, the West Sea Area, Vol. 1. Institute of Islands Culture, Mokpo National University, Muan.
- UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere. 2008. Madrid Action Plan (MAP) for Biosphere Reserves (2008-2013). UNESCO MAB, Paris.