- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of Liquid Metal Flow Characteristics in the Annular Passage of an Electromagnetic Pump
- Kim, Chang-Eob (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Jeon, Mun-Ho (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Kwon, Jeong-Tae (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Lim, Hyo-Jae (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Hoseo University) ;
- Lee, Suk-Won (Department of System Control Engineering, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2009.03.12
- Accepted : 2010.03.31
- Published : 2010.06.01
An electromagnetic pump using a tubular induction motor (TLIM) has been proposed to pump liquid metal fluids. TLIM has been designed for liquid metal flow systems with a motor with a thrust force of 40~77[N]. The flow characteristics have been investigated by solving the Navier-Stokes equation, where the Lorentz force was included simply by considering it as a constant in the Navier-Stokes equation. A wood metal was chosen to simulate the liquid metal. The effect of Lorentz force on the flow rate was investigated. An experiment was conducted and its results were compared with those of the simulation. The simulation result showed an overestimation of about 17% compared with the experimental one.
Electromagnetic pump;TLIM;Lorentz force;Navier-Stokes equation;Liquid metal
- Jacek. F. Gieras, Linear Induction Drives, Clarendon Press, 1994.
- S. A. Nasar, Linear motion electromagnetic systems, John Wiley and Sons, pp. 131-263, 1985.
- S. A. Nasar, Linear motion electric machines, John Willey and Sons, pp. 215-219, 1976.
- J. E. Cha, "Preliminary Design of Dynamic Corrosion- Facility for Lead-Bismuth Eutectic," KNS spring Conference, 2003.
- Frank M. White, Fluid Mechanics, McGraw-Hill, pp. 371-399, 2004.
- Keisuke Fukisaki, "Fundamental Characteristics of Molten Metal Flow Control by Linear Induction Motor," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 4764-4766, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.334215
- Chuichi Arakawa, Computational Fluid Dynamics for Engineering, University of Tokyo Press, 1994.
- Suhas V. Patankar, Numerical heat transfer and fluid flow, McGraw-Hill, 1980.