- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Biodegradable Poly(2-ethylhexylacrylate) as Oil Sorbers
흡유제인 생분해석 Poly(2-ethylhexylacrylate)의 제조
- Yoo, Su-Yong (Division of Applied Chemical Engineering., Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Hwan (Department of Chemistry, Dongeui University) ;
- Kam, Sang-Kyu (Division of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cheju National University) ;
- Lee, Min-Gyu (Division of Applied Chemical Engineering., Pukyong National University)
- Published : 2010.01.31
The biodegradable oil absorption resin was prepared by the suspension polymerization of the modified starch and 2-ethylhexyl acrylate (2-EHA). The highest oil-absorption capacity of B-PEHA prepared showed at the condition of the modified starch content of 10 g and ethyleneglycol dimethacrylate (EGDMA) of 0.133 wt%. Its maximum oil absorption capacity per g of oil absorber was chloroform 30.88 g, toluene 19.75 g, xylene 18.78 g, tetrahydofuran (THF) 15.96 g, octane 11.43 g, hexane 9.5 g diesel oil 12.80 g, and kerosene 13.79 g, respectively. The biodegradation of poly-2-ethylhexylacrylate (B-PEHA) determined by enzymatic hydrolysis showed approximately 17~20%. The results showed that the preparation of the biodegradable oil absorption resin is available using the modified starch.
Oil sorber;Biodegradable;Poly(2-ethylhexylacrylate);Oil absorption;Modified starch;Oil absorption rate
- National Academy of Science, 1975, Petroleum in the marine environment, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C..
- National Academy of Science, 1985, Oil in the sea, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C..
- Atlas R. M., 1981, Microbial degradation of petroleum hydrocarbons: an environmental perspective, Microbiol. Rev., 45, 180-209.
- Asper J. J. and P. Bolli, 1973, New device for removing oil slicks from the surface of water, Proc. Conf. on Prevention and Control of Oil Spills, 315-332.
- Bartha R. and R. M. Atlas, 1977, The microbiology of aquatic oil spills, Adv. Appl. Microbiol., 22, 225-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2164(08)70164-3
- Smith J. B. H., C. McLellan and L. R. Pintler, 1987, Development of an oil skimming system to meet navy specifications, Proc. Oil Spill Conf., Baltimore, Maryland, 91-94.
- Park W. C. and B. G. Kwon, 1998, A study on feasibility of oil separation with oil absorbent for spilt oil recovery, J. KOSOS, 13(2), 39-44.
- Chai J. B., B. K. Kim and Y. J. Shin, 1998, Adsorption of hydrophobic fluid by polyurethane foam, J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 9(5), 648-653.
- Ju C. S., S. S. Hong, D. K. Hwang, Y. I. Kim, H. J. Park and S. W. Jeong, 2001, Development of oil separation process from oily waste water using oil gelling agent, J. Korean Envir. Sci. Soc., 10(6), 401-405.
- Shin Y. S., Y. S. Shin, J. W. Woo, S. S. Park and J. S. Choi, 2002, Oil absorption and thermodynamic analysis of poly(laurylacrylate) polymer, HWAHAK KONGHAK, 40(1), 82-87.
- Shin Y. S., H. Y. Cha, S. S. Park, J. W. Woo and J. S. Choi, 2002, Oil absorption capacity of poly (2-ethylhexylacrylate) polymer in the presence of ultrasonic wave, J. Korean Ind. Eng. Chem., 13(4), 326-329.
- Jang J. S. and B. S. Kim, 2000, Studies of cross-linked styrene-alkyl acrylate copolymers for oil absorbency application. I. Synthesis and characterization., J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 77, 903-913. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(20000725)77:4<903::AID-APP26>3.0.CO;2-E
- Shan G. R., P. Y. Xu, Z. X. Weng and Z. M. Huang, 2003, Synthesis and properties of oil absorption resins filled with polybutadiene, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 89, 3309-3314. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.12515
- Cha H. Y., H. J. Jung, J. W. Woo and Y. S. Park, 2000, Oil absorption properties of various alkyl substituted acrylates, Appl. Chem., 4, 61-64.
- Yoo S. Y., M. A. W. D. Wan and M. G. Lee, 2009, Preparation of biodegradable oil absorber and its biodegradation, J. Microbiol. Biotech. Submitted.
- Miller L. G., 1959, Use of dinitrosalicyclic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal. Chem., 3, 426-428.