- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Reflective Writing Activities about The Environment on The Environmental Sensitivity and Willingness to Act of Primary School Students
환경에 대한 반성적 글쓰기 활동이 초등학교 학생들의 환경민감도와 실천의지에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Soon-Shik (Department of Earth Science, Busan National University) ;
- Choi, Sung-Bong (Department of Earth Science, Busan National University)
- Published : 2010.01.31
Today's fundamental purpose of environmental education is to fulfill people's desire of living in a pleasant environment and at the same time promoting individualistic and collective environmentally friendly behaviors. In order to achieve these purposes, it is very important that each person holds an environmentally friendly mind that constantly tries to preserve and protect the environment which should be acquired through experiencing the importance of the environment. In order to increases the sense of attachment of people and the natural environment, the direction of environmental education should carry out education on environment related knowledge and the condition of environment damage side by side. The direction of environmental education should consider the cultivating student's awareness for active participation on matters related to the environment and to change their behaviors towards the environment. This study has tested the effect of reflective writing activities about the environment on the environmental sensitivity and willingness to act of 5th grade primary school students. For the sole purpose of this study, 70 students out of 141 5th graders of M Primary School were divided as the experimental group, and another 71 students were divided as the control group. The experimental group participated in 10 activities in where they were asked to express their thoughts and feelings in writing regarding 10 environmental problems occurring near the M Primary School. The control group participated in 10 environmental education lectures focusing on the lecturer. The results were as following. First, the reflective writing activities about the environment were effective in the environmental sensitivity of primary school students. Second, the reflective writing activities about the environment can affect the environmental willingness to act of primary school students. Third, there was a statistically significant correlation between environmental sensitivity and environmental willingness to act.
- Lane J., R. Wilke, R. Champeau and D. Sivek, 1995, Strengths and weakness of teacher environmental education preparation in Wisconsin, The Journal of Environmental Education, 27(1), 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1995.9941970
- Hungerford H., B. Peyton and R. Wilke, 1980, Goals for curriculum development in environmental education, The Journal of Environmental Education, 11(3), 42-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.1980.9941381
- UNESCO, 1980, Environmental Education in the Light of the Tbilisi Conference, Paris: UNESCO.
- 최돈형, 남상준, 김영란, 이재영, 1992, 학교환경교육 내실화 방안에 관한 조사, 교육월보, 통권 제129호, 84-91.
- 최석진, 김정호, 이동엽, 장혜정, 1997, 우리나라 학교환경교육 실태 조사 연구, 한국환경교육학회 학술연구보고서, 367pp.
- 최석진, 신동희, 이선경, 이동엽, 1999, 학교 환경교육의 체계적 접근 방안, 한국환경교육학회, 12(1), 19-39.
- Roe M. F. and A. Stallman, 1994, A comparative study of dialogue and response journals, Teaching and Teacher Education, 10(6), 579-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(94)90027-2
- Dewey J., 1974, How we think: A restatement of the relation of reflective thinking to the educative process. In R. Archambault (Ed.), John Dewey on education: Selected writings Chicago: Chicago University Press, 230-259.
- 김경순, 2001, 충북지역 중.고등학생들의 환경에 대한 감수성 및 태도와 환경친화적 행동의 관련성, 석사학위논문, 교육학과, 충북대학교, 청주.
- 김용근, 2008, 기후변화 대응을 위한 학교환경교육 프로그램 개발에 대한 연구, 기후변화대응관련 대학(원)생 논문공모, 에너지 관리공단, 91pp.