- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Change of Wetland Microbial Activities after Creation of Constructed Wetlands
인공습지 조성 후 습지미생물활성도 변화에 관한 연구
- Lee, Ja-Yeon (Department of Ecological Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Bo-Ra (Department of Ecological Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, So-Young (Department of Ocean Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Sung, Ki-June (Department of Ecological Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Published : 2010.01.31
To understand the initial changes in the microbial activities of wetland soil after construction, dehydrogenase activity (DHA) and denitrification potential (DNP) of soil from 1 natural wetland and 2 newly constructed wetlands were monitored. Soil samples were collected from the Daepyung marsh as a natural wetland, a treatment wetland in the West Nakdong River, and an experimental wetland in the Pukyong National University, Busan. The results showed that the DHA of the natural wetland soil was 6.1 times higher than that of the experimental wetland and similar to that of the treatment wetland 6 months after wetland construction (fall). Few differences were observed in the DNP between the soil samples from the natural wetland and 2 constructed wetlands four months after wetland construction (summer). However, 6 months after the construction (fall), the DNP of the soil samples from the natural wetland was 12.9 times and 1.8 times higher than that of the experimental wetland and the treatment wetland, respectively. These results suggested that the presence of organic matter as a carbon source in the wetland soil affects the DHA of wetland soil. Seasonal variation of wetland environment, acclimation time under anaerobic or anoxic wetland conditions, and the presence of carbon source also affect the DNP of the wetland soil. The results imply that the newly constructed wetland requires some period of time for having the better contaminant removal performance through biogeochemical processes. Therefore, those microbial activities and related indicators could be considered for wetland management such as operation and performance monitoring of wetlands.
Constructed wetland;Natural wetland;Dehydrogenase activity;Denitrification potential;Biogeochemistry;Indicators
- Kadlec R. H. and D. L. Hey, 1994, Constructed wetlands for river water quality improvement, Water Sci. Technol., 29, 159-168.
- Mitsch W. J. and J. G. Gosselink, 2000, Wetlands, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons., New York, 3-24.
- Kadlec R. H. and R. L. Knight, 1996, Treatment wetlands, Lewis Publishers, New York, 3-13.
- Yoon C. G., S. K. Kwun, J. H. Ham and J. K. Noh, 2000, Study on the Performance of Constructed Wetland System for Sewage Treatment, J. Kor. Soc. Agri. Eng., 42(4), 96-105.
- Bachand P. A. M. and A. Horne, 2000, Denitrification constructed free-water wetlands: 1, very high removal rates in a macrocosm study, Ecol. Eng., 14, 9-15.
- Mitsch W. J. and R. F. Wilson, 1996, Improving the success of wetland creation and restoration with know-how, time, and self-design, Ecol. Appl., 6, 77-83. https://doi.org/10.2307/2269554
- Moon H. S., 2005, The Developmental Stages of the Circumstances and Characteristics in Wetland: in the Gyeonggi-Do Mountains, Ph. D. Dissertation, Dept. of Geography, Dongguk University, Seoul, 35-47.
- Lee J. Y., B. R. Kim, S. Y. Park and K. J. Sung, 2009, Comparison of microbial activity of constructed wetlands and natural wetland, 2009 Joint Spring Meeting of Korean Society on Water Quality and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 85-86.
- Ministry of Environment, 2005, Restoration technology for damaged ecosystem: Constructed wetlands for water quality improvement, 37-40.
- Kim Y. R., J. L. Kim, K. S. Lee, K. J. Sung and S. M. Lee, 2008, Performance comparison of a natural wetland and a constructed wetland for nonpoint pollutants control, 2008 Joint Fall Meeting of Korean Society on Water Quality and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 37-38.
- Baligar V. C., R. J. Wright and M. D. Smedley, 1991, Enzyme activities in appalachian soils: 4. Dehydrogenase, commun, Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 22(17&18), 1797-1804. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103629109368536
- Skujins J., 1973, Dehydrogenase: an indicator of biological activities in arid soil, Bulletin of Ecological Research Communication, 17, 235-241.
- Shin A. H., C. G. Yoon, H. C. Kim and S. J. Lee, 2006, Soil sedimentation and microbial activities for nonpointsource control of wetland, 2006 Joint Fall Meeting of Korean Society on Water Quality and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 841-847.
- Heckman J. R., 1997, Restoration of degraded land: A comparison of structural and functional measurements of recovery, Ph. D. Dissertation, Dept. of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1-6.
- Lee I. S. and O. K. Kim, Dehydrogenase activity and physico-chemical characteristics of golf course soils in Kyonggi Province, Kor. J. Ecol., 17(2), 143-148.
- Song K. Y., 2004, Nutrient removals and extracellar enzyme activities in pond-and marsh type and pond/marsh linked wetlands microcosms, Master Thesis, Dept. of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 8-13.
- Sirivedhin T. and Gray K. A., 2006, Factors affecting denitrification rates in experimental wetlands: Field and laboratory studies, Ecol. Eng., 26(2), 167-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2005.09.001
- Gardner M. L., 2008, Denitrification enzyme activity as an indicator of nitrate loading in a wetland receiving diverted mississippi river water, Master Thesis, Dept. of Oceanography and Coastal Science, Ohio State University, 30-32.
- Tiedje J. M., 1982, Denitrification, In A. L. Page (ed.), Methods of Soil Analysis, part 2., Madison, WI: ASA-SSSA, 1011-1026.
- Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, 2005, Ocean environment testing methods.
- Choe B. S. and S. B. Lee, 2003, Modern statistics using SAS, Sagyeng Publishers, 345-350.
- Kim S. B., T. Y. Ahn and Y. C. Hah, 1991, Analysis of Denitrifying Capacity and Environmental Factors in Sediments of Lake Soyang, Kor. J. Limnol., 24(4), 275-281.
- Min S. H., O. J. Rhee and T. Y. Ahn, 1995, Nitrification and Denitrification Potentials in the sediment of Lake Soyang, Kor. J. Limnol., 28(4), 413-420.
- Hernandez M. E. and Mitsch W. J., 2007, Denitrification Potential and Organic Matter as Affected by Vegetation Community, Wetland Age, and Plant Introduction in Created Wetlands, J. Environ. Qual., 36, 333-342. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2006.0139
- Son Y. K., C. G. Yoon, H. C. Kim, S. B. Lee and H. Y. Um, 2007, Analysis of constructed wetland treatment efficiency for nonpoint source pollution, 2007 Joint Fall Meeting of Korean Society on Water Quality and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 130-141.