- Volume 1 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Normalised rotation capacity for deformability evaluation of high-performance concrete beams
- Zhou, K.J.H. (Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong) ;
- Ho, J.C.M. (Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong) ;
- Su, R.K.L. (Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong)
- Received : 2010.04.07
- Accepted : 2010.07.22
- Published : 2010.09.25
High-strength concrete (HSC) is becoming more popular in the construction of beams and columns of tall buildings because of its higher stiffness and strength-to-weight ratio. However, as HSC is more brittle than normal-strength concrete (NSC), it may adversely affect the flexural ductility and deformability of concrete members. Extended from a series of theoretical study conducted on flexural ductility of concrete beams, the authors would in this paper investigate the effects of some critical factors including the degree of reinforcement, confining pressure, concrete and steel yield strength on the flexural deformability of NSC and HSC beams. The deformability, expressed herein in terms of normalised rotation capacity defined as the product of ultimate curvature and effective depth, is investigated by a parametric study using nonlinear moment-curvature analysis. From the results, it is evident that the deformability of concrete beams increases as the degree of reinforcement decreases and/or confining pressure increases. However, the effects of concrete and steel yield strength are more complicated and dependent on other factors. Quantitative analysis of all these effects on deformability of beams has been carried out and formulas for direct deformability evaluation are developed. Lastly, the proposed formulas are compared with available test results to verify its applicability.
beams;curvature;deformability;high-strength concrete;reinforced concrete;rotation capacity
Supported by : The University of Hong Kong
- Altin, S., Kuran, F., Anil, O. and Emin Kara M. (2008), "Rehabilitation of heavily earthquake damaged masonry building using steel straps", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 651-664. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.6.651
- Attard, M.M. and Setunge, S. (1996), "The stress strain relationship of confined and unconfined concrete", ACI Mater. J., 93(5), 432-442.
- Au, F.T.K., Chan, K.H.E., Kwan, A.K.H. and Du, J.S. (2009), "Flexural ductility of prestressed concrete beams with unbonded tendons", Comput. Concrete, 6(6), 451-472. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.6.451
- Bai, Z.Z. and Au, F.T.K. (2009) "Effects of strain hardening of reinforcement on flexural strength and ductility of reinforced concrete columns", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., doi:10.1002/tal.554 https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.554
- Bai, Z.Z., Au, F.T.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2007), "Complete nonlinear response of reinforced concrete beams under cyclic loading", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 16, 107-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.301
- Belarbi, A., Prakash, S. and You, Y.M. (2009), "Effect of spiral reinforcement on flexural-shear torsional seismic behavior of reinforced concrete circular bridge column", Struct. Eng. Mech., 33(2), 137-158. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.33.2.137
- Bechtoula, H., Kono, S. and Watanabe, F. (2009), "Seismic performance of high strength reinforced concrete columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 31(6), 697-716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.11.006
- Bindhu, K.R., Jaya, K.P. and Manicka Selvam, V.K. (2008), "Seismic resistance of exterior beam-column joints with non-conventional confinement reinforcement detailing", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 733-761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.019
- Carrasquillo, R.L., Nilson, A.H. and Slate, F.O. (1981), "Properties of high strength concrete subjected to shortterm loads", ACI J., Proceedings 78(3), 171-178.
- Cho, C.G., Ha, G.J. and Kim, Y.Y. (2008), "Nonlinear model of reinforced concrete frames retrofitted by in-filled HPFRCC walls", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(2), 211-223. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.2.211
- Debernardi, P.G. and Taliano, M. (2002), "On evaluation of rotation capacity of reinforced concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 99(3), 360-368.
- Englekirk, R.E. (2008), "A call for change in seismic design procedures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 17, 1005-1013. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.490
- ECS, European Committee for Standardization (2004), /Eurocode 2:/ Design of concrete structures: Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, UK, 225pp
- Feng, R. and Young, B. (2009) "Behaviour of Concrete-filled Stainless Steel Tubular X-joints subjected to Compression", Thin Wall. Struct., 47(4), 365-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.09.006
- Goel, R.K. (2010), "Approximate seismic displacement capacity of piles in marine oil terminals", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 129-146. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.129
- Hashemi, S.H., Maghsoudi, A.A. and Rahgozar, R. (2008), "Flexural ductility of reinforced HSC beams strengthened CFRP sheets", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(4), 403-426 https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.4.403
- Haskett, M., Oehlers, D.J., Mohamed, Ali, M.S. and Wu, C. (2009), "Rigid body moment-rotation mechanism for reinforced concrete beam hinges", Eng. Struct., 31, 1032-1041. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.12.016
- Hawileh, R.A., Malhas, F.A. and ,Rahman A. (2009), "Comparison between ACI 318-05 and Eurocode 2 (EC2-94) in flexural concrete design", Struct. Eng. Mech., 32(6), 705-724. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.32.6.705
- Ho, J.C.M., Au, F.T.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2005), "Effects of strain hardening of steel reinforcement on flexural strength and ductility of concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 19(2), 185-198. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.19.2.185
- Ho, J.C.M., Kwan, A.K.H. and Pam, H.J. (2003), "Theoretical analysis of post-peak flexural behaviour of normal- and high-strength concrete beams", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 12, 109-125. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.216
- Ho, J.C.M., Kwan, A.K.H. and Pam, H.J. (2004), "Minimum flexural ductility design of high-strength concrete beams", Mag. Concrete Res., 56(1), 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2004.56.1.13
- Ho, J.C.M., Lam, J.Y.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2010b), "Flexural ductility and deformability of concrete beams incorporating high-performance materials", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., doi:/10.1002/tal.579 https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.579
- Ho, J.C.M., Lam, J.Y.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2010a), "Effectiveness of adding confinement for ductility improvement of high-strength concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 32, 714-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.11.017
- Ho, J.C.M. and Pam, H.J. (2003), "Inelastic design of low-axially loaded high-strength reinforced concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 25(8), 1083-1096. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(03)00050-6
- Ho, J.C.M. and Zhou, K.J.H. (2010), "Concurrent flexural strength and deformability design of high-performance concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., (submitted).
- Ko, M.Y., Kim, S.W. and Kim, J.K. (2001), "Experimental study on the plastic rotation capacity of reinforced high strength concrete beams", Mater. Struct., 34, 302-311. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02482210
- Kwak, H.G. and Kim, S.P. (2010), "Simplified monotonic moment-curvature relation considering fixed-end rotation and axial force", Eng. Struct., 32, 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.08.017
- Kwan, A.K.H., Au, F.T.K. and Chau, S.L. (2004), "Effects of confinement on flexural strength and ductility design of HS concrete beams", Struct. Eng., 84(23-24), 38-44.
- Lam, S.S.E., Wu, B., Liu, Z.Q. and Wong, Y.L. (2008), "Experimental study on seismic performance of coupling beams not designed for ductility", Struct. Eng.Mech., 28(3), 317-333. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.28.3.317
- Lam, J.Y.K., Ho, J.C.M. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2009), "Flexural ductility of high-strength concrete columns with minimal confinement", Mater. Struct., 42(7), 909-921. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-008-9431-5
- Lee, H.K., Ha, S.K. and Afzal, M. (2008), "Finite element analysis of shear-deficient RC beams strengthened with CFRP strips/sheets", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(2), 247-261. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.03.021
- Lopes, S.M.R. and Bernardo, L.F.A. (2003), "Plastic rotation capacity of high-strength concrete beams", Mater. Struct., 36, 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02481567
- Lu, Y. (2009), "Modelling of concrete structures subjected to shock and blast loading: an overview and some recent studies", Struct. Eng. Mech., 32(2), 235-249. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.32.2.235
- Mahini, S.S. and Ronagh, H.R. (2009), "Numerical modeling of FRP strengthened RC beam-column joints", Struct. Eng. Mech., 32(5), 649-665. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.32.5.649
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1825. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Mendis, P. (2001), "Plastic hinge lengths of normal and high-strength concrete in flexure", Adv. Struct. Eng., 4(4), 189-195. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943301320896651
- Nam, J.W., Kim, H.J., Yi, N.H., Kim, I.S., Kim, J.J.H. and Choi, H.J. (2009), "Blast analysis of concrete arch structures for FRP retrofitting design", Comput. Concrete, 6(4), 305-318. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.4.305
- Nawy, E.G., Danesi, R.F. and Grosko, J.J. (1968), "Rectangular spiral binders effect on plastic hinge rotation capacity in reinforced concrete beams", ACI J., 65(12), 1001-1010.
- Pam, H.J. and Ho, J.C.M. (2001), "Flexural strength enhancement of confined reinforced concrete columns", Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Struct. Build., 146(4), 363-370. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2001.146.4.363
- Pam, H.J. and Ho, J.C.M. (2009), "Length of critical region for confinement steel in limited ductility highstrength reinforced concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 31, 2896-2908. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.07.015
- Pam, H.J. and Ho, J.C.M. (2010), "Effects of steel lap splice locations on strength and ductility of reinforced concrete columns", Adv. Struct. Eng., 13(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.52
- Pam, H.J., Kwan, A.K.H. and Ho, J.C.M. (2001), "Post-peak behavior and flexural ductility of doubly reinforced normal- and high-strength concrete beams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 12(5), 459-474. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2001.12.5.459
- Park, J.W. and Kim, S.E. (2008), "Nonlinear inelastic analysis of steel-concrete composite beam-columns using stability functions", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 763-785. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.30.6.763
- Park, H.S., Seo, J.H. and Kwon, Y.H. (2008), "Development of drift design model for high-rise buildings subjected to lateral and vertical loads", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 17, 273-293. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.351
- Pecce, M. and Fabbrocino, G. (1999), "Plastic rotation capacity of beams in normal and high-performance concrete", ACI Struct. J., 96(2), 290-296.
- Ramadoss, P. and Nagamani, K. (2009), "Behavior of high-strength fiber reinforced concrete plates under inplane and transverse loads", Struct. Eng. Mech., 31(4), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.31.4.371
- Restrepo, J.I., Seible, F., Stephan, B. and Schoettler, M.J. (2006), "Seismic testing of bridge columns incorporating high-performance materials", ACI Struct. J., 103(4), 496-504.
- Sadjadi, R. and Kianoush, M.R. (2010), "Application of fiber element in the assessment of the cyclic loading behavior of RC columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 34(3), 301-317. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.34.3.301
- Su, R.K.L., Lam, W.Y. and Pam, H.J. (2009) "Experimental study of plate-reinforced composite deep coupling beams", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 18, 235-257. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.407
- Teran-Gilmore, A., Sanzhez-Badillo, A. and Espinosa-Johnson, M. (2010), "Performance-based seismic design of reinforced concrete ductile buildings subjected to large energy demands", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 129-146. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.129
- Watson, S. and Park, R. (1994), "Simulated seismic load tests on reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 120(6), 1825-1849. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:6(1825)
- Weerheijm, J., Mediavilla, J. and van Doormaal, J.C.A.M. (2009), "Explosive loading of multi storey RC buildings: Dynamic response and progressive collapse", Struct. Eng. Mech., 32(2), 193-212. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.32.2.193
- Wu, Y.F. (2008), "Ductility demand of compression yielding fiber-reinforced polymer-reinforced concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 105(1), 104-110.
- Wu, Y.F., Oehlers, D.J. and Griffith, M.C. (2004), "Rational definition of the flexural deformation capacity of RC column sections", Eng. Struct., 26, 641-650. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.01.001
- Zhu, Y. and Su, R.K.L. (2010), "Seismic behavior of strengthened reinforced concrete coupling beams by bolted steel plates, Part 2: Evaluation of theoretical strength", Struct. Eng. Mech., 34(5), 563-580. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.34.5.563
- Deformability design of high-performance concrete beams vol.22, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.728
- High-strength RC columns subjected to high-axial and increasing cyclic lateral loads vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.779
- Limited Deformability Design of High-strength Concrete Beams in Low to Moderate Seismicity Regions vol.17, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.3846/13923730.2011.594219
- Simplified models to control plastic hinges in reinforced concrete frame structures 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42107-017-0002-3
- Uni-axial behaviour of normal-strength CFDST columns with external steel rings vol.13, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.6.587
- Minimum deformability design of high-strength concrete beams in non-seismic regions vol.8, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.4.445
- Flexural Strength and Deformability Design of Reinforced Concrete Beams vol.14, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.176
- Improving strength, stiffness and ductility of CFDST columns by external confinement vol.75, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.10.009
- Experimental and theoretical studies of confined HSCFST columns under uni-axial compression vol.7, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.4.527
- Post-yield deformation parameters of reinforced concrete beam with corroded reinforcement pp.14644177, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201800037