- Volume 1 Issue 2
The main objectives of this work were to investigate the effects of the nonlinear behavior of the isolation pads on the seismic response of bridges with rubber bearings, and to identify when base isolation improved their seismic performance. To achieve these objectives a parametric study was conducted designing a set of bridges for three different soil types and varying the number of spans, span lengths, and pier heights. The seismic responses (accelerations, displacements and pier seismic forces) were evaluated for three different structural models subjected to three earthquakes with different dynamic characteristics. The first represented bridges without base isolation; the second corresponded to the same bridges including now rubber bearings as an isolation system, with linear elastic behavior that shifted the natural period of the bridge by a factor of 2 to 4. In the third model the seismic response of bridges supported on lead-Rubber bearings was studied accounting for the nonlinear behavior of the lead. The results show clearly the importance of the nonlinear behavior on the seismic performance of the bridges.
lead-rubber bearings;base isolation;bridges;nonlinear behavior
- AASHTO (2000), Guide specifications for seismic isolation design, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, D. C.
- AASHTO (1995), Standard specifications for seismic design of highway bridges, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, D. C.
- Abe, M., Yoshida, J. and Fujino, Y. (2004), "Multiaxial behavior of laminated rubber bearings and their modeling. I: experimental study ", J. Earthq. Eng., 130(8), 1119-1132. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:8(1119)
- Briseghella, L. Gori, R. and Negro, P. (1989), "Seismic isolation of pier bridges", Proc. of 9th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Japan Assn. for Earthquake Disaster Prevention, Tokyo, V, 621-626.
- CALTRANS (1987), Bridge design specifications, Department of Transportation, State of California, Sacramento, California.
- Ciampoli, M. and Pinto, P. (1995), "Effects of soil-structure interaction on inelastic seismic response of bridge piers", J. Struct. Eng., 121(5), 806-814. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:5(806)
- Wen, Y. and Roesset, J.M. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", J. Eng. Mech. Division, 102(EM2), 249-263.
- CFE (1993), Manual de diseno de Obras Civiles: Diseno por Sismo, Comision Federal de Electricidad e Instituto de Investigaciones Electricas, Mexico.
- Ghobarah, A. and Ali, H.M. (1989), "Design of base-isolated highway systems", Proc. of 9th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Japan Assn. for Earthquake Disaster Prevention, Tokyo, V, 615-620.
- Hosam-Eddin, M.A. and Abdel-Ghaffar, A.M. (1995), "Modeling of rubber and lead passive-control bearings for seismic analysis", J. Struct. Eng., 121, 1134-1144. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:7(1134)
- Hwang, J.S. and Sheng, L.H. (1994), "Equivalent elastic seismic analysis of base-isolated bridges with leadrubber bearings", Eng. Struct., 16(3), 201-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(94)90078-7
- Hwang, J.S. (1996), "Evaluation of equivalent linear analysis methods of bridge isolation", J. Struct. Eng., 122(8), 972-976. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:8(972)
- Hwang, J.S., Chang, K.C. and Tsai, M.H. (1997), "Composite damping ratio of seismically isolated regular bridges", Eng. Struct., 19(1), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(96)00040-5
- Imbsen, R.A. (2001), "Use of isolation for seismic retrofitting bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 6(6), 425-438. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2001)6:6(425)
- Jangid, R.S. (2004), "Seismic response of isolated bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 9(2), 156-166. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:2(156)
- Lee, X.M. (1989), "Optimization of the stochastic response of a bridges isolation systems with hysteretic dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 18, 951-964. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290180703
- Li, J. and Xin, X. (1998), "Non-linear seismic response analyses of isolation systems for continues bridges", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 18, 67-63.
- Mahin, S.A. (1993), "A simplify preliminary design approach for base isolated brisges", Proc. Of Second U.S.- Japan Workshop on Earthquake protective systems for bridges, Public Works Research Institute, Japan, 311-320.
- Monti, G., Pinto, P.E. and Nuti, C. (1995), "Response of conventional and isolated bridges under nonsynchronous seismic motions", Proc. Of fifth SECED Conference, Rotterdam, 117-124.
- NZMWD (1983), Design of lead-rubber bridge bearings, New Zealand Ministry of Works and Development, Civil Division Publication 818/A, Willington, New Zealand.
- Olmos, B.A. (2008), "Nonlinear seismic response of Mexican bridges with base isolation accounting for soil structure interaction effects", Dissertation, Texas A&M University.
- Park, Y.J., Wen, Y.K. and Ang, H.S. (1986), "Random vibration of hysteretic systems under bi-directional ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 14(4), 543-557. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140405
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F. and Calvi, G.M. (1996), Seismic design and retrofit of bridges, Jhon Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, N. Y.
- Saiidi, M. and Maragakis, E. (1999), "Effect of base isolation on the seismic response of multi-column bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 8(4), 411-419. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19126.96.36.1991
- Shen, J., Sai, M.H., Chang, K.C. and Lee, G.C. (1999), "Performance of a seismically isolated bridge under nearfult earthquake ground motions", J. Struct. Eng., 130(6), 861-868.
- Spyrakos, C.C. and Vlassis, A.G. (2002), "Effect of soil-structure interaction on seismically isolated bridges", J. Earthq. Eng., 6(3), 391-429.
- Turkington, D.H., Cooke, N., Moss, P.J. and Carr, A.J. (1989), "Development of a design procedure for bridges on lead-rubber beatings", Eng. Struct., 11, 2-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(89)90026-6
- New experimental system for base-isolated structures with various dampers and limit aspect ratio vol.5, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.4.461
- Further results on the heating of single and multi-core lead-rubber bearings and dampers vol.14, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-015-9830-2
- Seismic performance of single pier skewed bridges with different pier-deck connections vol.10, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.6.1467
- A new method to identify bridge bearing damage based on Radial Basis Function Neural Network vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.841