- Volume 7 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation of short column effect of RC buildings: failure and prevention
- Cagatay, Ismail H. (Cukurova University, Civil Engineering Department) ;
- Beklen, Caner (Adana) ;
- Mosalam, Khalid M. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California)
- Received : 2010.01.04
- Accepted : 2010.05.28
- Published : 2010.12.25
If an infill wall in a reinforced concrete frame is shorter than the column height and there is no initial gap between the column and the infill wall, the short column effect can occur during an earthquake shaking. This form of damage is frequently observed in many earthquake-damaged buildings all around the world and especially in Turkey. In this study, an effective method, which consists of placing additional infill wall segments surrounding the short column, to prevent this type of failure is examined. The influence of adding infill wall in the reduction of the shear force in the short column is also investigated. A parametric study is carried out for one-storey infilled frames with one to five bays using the percentage of the additional infill wall surrounding the short column and the number of spans as the parameters. Then the investigation is extended to a case of a multistorey building damaged due to short column effect during the 1998 Adana-Ceyhan earthquake in Turkey. The results show that the addition of the infill walls around the potential short columns is an effective way to significantly reduce the shear force.
- Cagatay, I.H. (2005), "Failure of an industrial building during a recent earthquake in Turkey", Eng. Fail. Anal., 12(4), 497-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2004.09.004
- Caglar, N. and Mutlu, M. (2009), "Failure analysis of reinforced concrete frames with short column effect", Comput. Concrete, 6(5), 403-419. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2009.6.5.403
- Guevara, L.T. and Garcia L.E. (2005), "The captive- and short-column effects", Earthq. Spectra, 21(1), 141-160. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1856533
- Hashemi, A. and Mosalam, K.M. (2007), Seismic evaluation of reinforced concrete buildings including effects of masonry infill walls, PEER 2007/100, University of California, Berkeley.
- Kadysiewski, S. and Mosalam, K.M. (2008), Modeling of unreinforced masonry infill walls considering in-plane and out-of-plane interaction, PEER 2008/102, University of California, Berkeley.
- Pineda, J.C. (1994), Ensayos experimentales sobre control de columnas cortas, Proyecto de Grado IC-94-II-24, Departamento de Ingenieria Civil, Universidad de los Andes, Bogota, Colombia. (in Spanish)
- Sezen, H., Elwood, K.J., Whittaker, A.S., Mosalam, K.M., Wallace, J.W., and Stanton, J.F. (2000), Structural engineering reconnaissance of the August 17, 1999 Kocaeli (Izmit), Turkey, earthquake, PEER 2000/09, University of California, Berkeley.
- Specification for Buildings to be Built in Seismic Zones (2007), Ministry of Public Works and Settlement, Government of Republic of Turkey.
- SAP Series (1999), Structural analysis programs, Computers and Structures, Berkeley, USA.
- TS500 (1984), Building code requirements for reinforced concrete, Turkish Standards Institute.
- An investigation on plan geometries of RC buildings: with or without projections in plan vol.9, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2012.9.6.439
- The 2011 Earthquake in Simav, Turkey and Seismic Damage to Reinforced Concrete Buildings vol.3, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3390/buildings3010173
- Numerical modeling and seismic evaluation of masonry-infilled reinforced concrete frames retrofitted with carbon fiber–reinforced polymer wraps 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433217749768
- The effect of architectural form on the earthquake behavior of symmetric RC frame systems vol.13, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.2.271
- Experimental behavior and shear bearing capacity calculation of RC columns with a vertical splitting failure vol.9, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.6.1233
- The effect of short columns on the performance of existing buildings vol.46, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.4.505
- Comparative Capacity Assessment of CFRP Retrofit Techniques for RC Frames with Masonry Infills Using Pushover Analysis pp.2191-4281, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-018-3488-4