- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study of structural parameters on the aerodynamic stability of three-tower suspension bridge
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2009.08.13
- Accepted : 2010.05.11
- Published : 2010.09.25
In comparison with the common two-tower suspension bridge, due to the lack of effective longitudinal restraint of the center tower, the three-tower suspension bridge becomes a structural system with greater flexibility, and more susceptible to the wind action. By taking a three-tower suspension bridge-the Taizhou Bridge over the Yangtze River with two main spans of 1080 m as example, effects of structural parameters including the cable sag to span ratio, the side to main span ratio, the deck's dead load, the deck's bearing system, longitudinal structural form of the center tower and the cable system on the aerodynamic stability of the bridge are investigated numerically by 3D nonlinear aerodynamic stability analysis, the favorable structural system of three-tower suspension bridge with good wind stability is discussed. The results show that good aerodynamic stability can be obtained for three-tower suspension bridge as the cable sag to span ratio is assumed ranging from 1/10 to 1/11, the central buckle are provided between main cables and the deck at midpoint of main spans, the longitudinal bending stiffness of the center tower is strengthened, and the spatial cable system or double cable system is employed.
- Astiz, M.A. (1998), "Flutter stability of very long suspension bridges", J. Bridge Eng., 3(3), 132-139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1998)3:3(132)
- Chen, A.R. (2006), Aerodynamic-resistant Research on the Taizhou Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River: sectional-model aerodynamic tunnel test, Research Report, the State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University.
- Chen, C. and Zhong, J.C. (2008), "Impact of key design parameters of three-tower suspension bridge on structural behavior of the bridge", World Bridges, 2, 10-12.
- Forsberg, T. (2001), "Multi-span suspension bridges", Int. J. Steel Struct., 1(1), 63-73.
- Forsberg, T. and Petersen, A. (2001), "The challenge of constructing a bridge over the Chacao channel", Proceedings of the IABSE conference on Cable-supported bridges-challenging technical limits, Seoul, Korea.
- Fukuda, T. (1976), "Analysis of multispan suspension bridges", J. Struct. Div., 94, 63-86.
- Gimsing, N.J. (1997), Cable-supported bridges - concept & design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., England.
- Ji, L. and Zhong, J. (2006), "Runyang suspension bridge over the Yangtze River", Struct. Eng. Int., 3, 194-199.
- Lin, L.X., Wu, Y.P. and Ding, N.H. (2007), "Influence of structure parameters on natural vibration characteristics of double-cable suspension bridge", J. China Rail. Soc., 29(4), 91-95.
- Nazir, C.P. (1986), "Multispan balanced suspension bridge", J. Struct. Eng., 112(11), 2512-2527. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:11(2512)
- Ruan, J., Ji, L. and Zhu, J.P. (2008), "Structure style selection of the mid-tower of a three-tower suspension bridge", J. Shandong Univ. (Engineering Science), 38(2), 106-111.
- Wang, P. (2007), Static and dynamic characteristics of multi-tower continuous suspension bridges, Dissertation of Southwest Jiaotong University, China.
- Yoshida, O., Okuda, M. and Moriya, T. (2004), "Structural characteristics and applicability of four-span suspension bridge", J. Bridge Eng., 9(5), 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(453)
- Zhang, X.J., Xiang, H.F. and Sun, B.N. (2002), "Nonlinear aerostatic and aerodynamic analysis of long-span suspension bridges considering wind-structure interactions", J. Wind. Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(9), 1065-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00251-9
- Zhang, X.J. (2008), "Wind stability of three-tower suspension bridges", Wind Struct., 11(4), 341-344. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.4.341
- Zhang, X.J. and Sun, B.N. (2004), "Parametric study on the aerodynamic stability of a long-span suspension bridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 92(6), 431-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2004.01.007
- Zhu, B.J. (2007), Structural system research of multi-tower suspension bridge, Dissertation of Tongji University, China.
- Parametric Sensitivity Analysis on the Buffeting Control of a Long-Span Triple-Tower Suspension Bridge with MTMD vol.7, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7040395
- Flutter Mode Transition of a Double-Main-Span Suspension Bridge in Full Aeroelastic Model Testing vol.19, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000625
- Parameter sensitivity study on flutter stability of a long-span triple-tower suspension bridge vol.128, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2014.03.004
- Parametric study on buffeting performance of a long-span triple-tower suspension bridge vol.14, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2017.1354034
- Seismic performance and its favorable structural system of three-tower suspension bridge vol.50, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.50.2.215
- Aerodynamic Stability of a Three-Tower Suspension Bridge during Erection via Aeroelastic Model Test vol.405-408, pp.1662-7482, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.405-408.1494