- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental studies on composite beams with high-strength steel and concrete
- Zhao, Huiling (School of Civil Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Yuan, Yong (Department of Geotechnical Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2009.06.17
- Accepted : 2010.05.26
- Published : 2010.09.25
This paper presents the experimental studies of the flexural behavior of steel-concrete composite beams. Herein, steel-concrete composite beams were constructed with a welded steel I section beam and concrete slab with different material strength. Four simply supported composite beams subjected to two-point concentrated loads were tested and compared to investigate the effect of high strength engineering materials on the overall flexural response, including failure modes, load deflection behavior, strain response and interface slip. The experimental results show that the moment capacity of composite beams has been improved effectively when high-strength steel and concrete are used. Comparisons of the ultimate flexural strength of beams tested are then made with the calculated results according to the methods specified in guideline Eurocode 4. The ultimate flexural strength based on current codes may be slightly unconservative for predicating the moment capacity of composite beams with high-strength steel or concrete.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Amadio, C., Fedrigo, C. and Fragiacomo, M. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of effective width in steelconcrete composite beams", J. Construct. Steel Res., 60(2), 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.08.007
- American Institute of Steel Construction (1994), Load and resistance factor design specification for structural steel buildings, Eng. J-AISC, Chicago.
- Architectural Institute of Japan (1987), AIJ: Standards for structural calculation of steel reinforced concrete structures, AIJ, Tokyo, Japan.
- Bullo, S. and Di Marco, R. (2004), "A simplified method for assessing the ductile behavior of stud connectors in composite beams with high strength concrete slab", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 60(9), 1387-1408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.01.001
- Castro, J.M., Elghazouli, A.Y. and Izzuddin, B.A. (2004), "Modeling of the panel zone in steel and composite moment frames", Eng. Struct., 27(1), 129-144.
- China Academy of Building Research (2003), Code for design of steel structures(GB 50017-2003), China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing.
- El-Tawil, S. and Deierlein, G.G. (2001), "Nonlinear analyses of mixed steel-concrete moment frames", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE., 127(6), 647-655. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:6(647)
- Johnson, R.P. and Anderson, D. (1993), Designers' guide to EN1994-1-1: Eurocode4: design of composite steel and concrete structures, Part1-1: general rules and rules for building, CEN, Brussels.
- Lam, D. and EI-Lobody, E. (2005), "Behavior of headed stud shear connectors in composite beam", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE., 131(1), 96-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:1(96)
- Liew, J. Y. R., Chen, H. and Shanmugam, N.E. (2001), "Inelastic analysis of steel frames with composite beams" J. Struct. Eng-ASCE., 127(2), 194-202. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:2(194)
- Mansur, M. and Islam, M.M. (2002), "Interpretation of concrete strength for nonstandard specimens", J. Mater. Civil. Eng., 14(2), 151-155. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2002)14:2(151)
- Nie, J.G., Xiao, Y. and Tan, Y. (2004), "Experimental studies on behavior of composite steel high-strength concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 101(2), 245-251.
- Nie, J.G., Qin, K. and Cai, C.S. (2008), "Seismic behavior of connections composed of CFSSTCs and steel-concrete composite beams-experimental study", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 64(10), 1178-1191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.12.004
- Richard Liew, J.Y. (2001), "State-of-the-art of advanced inelastic analysis of steel and composite structures", Steel. Compo. Struct., 1(3), 341-354. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.3.341
- Salari, M. R. and Spacone, E. (2001), "Analysis of steel-concrete composite frames with bond-slip" J. Struct. Eng., 127(11), 1243-1250. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:11(1243)
- Spacone, E. and EI-Tawil, S. (2004), "Nonlinear analysis of steel-concrete composite structures: state of the art", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE., 130(2), 159-168. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:2(159)
- Tagawa, Y., Kato, B. and Aoki, H. (1989), "Behavior of composite beams in steel frame under hysteretic loading", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE., 115(8), 2029-2045. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:8(2029)
- Uy, B. and Sloane, R.J. (1998), "Behavior of Composite Tee Beams Constructed with High Strength Steel", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 46(1-3), 203-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(98)00126-6
- Viest, I.M., Colaco, J.P., Furlong, R.W. and Griffes, L.G. (1997), Composite construction: design for buildings, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Xue, W. and Yang, F. (2009), "Experiment research on seismic performance of prestressed steel reinforced high performance concrete beams", Steel. Compos. Struct., 9(2), 159-172. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2009.9.2.159
- Yuan, Y., Zhao, H.L. and Bao, X.F. (2008), "Design for a large underground space", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Municipal Engineer, Issue MEI, 35-41.
- Available rotation capacity of composite beams with high-strength materials under sagging moment vol.118, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.11.008
- A new 3-D element formulation on displacement of steel-concrete composite box beam vol.20, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-013-1622-8
- Elastoplastic Cross-Sectional Behavior of Composite Beams with High-Strength Steel: Analytical Modeling vol.141, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001208
- Behaviour of Composite Beams Made Using High Strength Steel vol.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2017.08.005
- Bending Resistance of Composite Sections with Nonductile Shear Connectors and Partial Shear Connection vol.2018, pp.1687-8094, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5350315
- A review of research on high-strength steel structures vol.171, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.16.00197