- Volume 52 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Yogurt Manufacture Suitability and Antimicrobial Activity of Lactobacillus plantarum LHB55 Isolated from Kimchi
김치에서 분리한 Lactobacillus plantarum LHB55의 항균성과 요구르트 제조 적합성 연구
- Lee, Seung-Gyu (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Yeon-Jung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Min-Kyung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Han, Ki-Sung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jeong, Seok-Geun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Oh, Mi-Hwa (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Jang, Ae-Ra (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Dong-Hun (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Bae, In-Hyu (Sunchun University) ;
- Ham, Jun-Sang (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 이승규 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 이연정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김민경 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 한기성 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 정석근 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 오미화 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 장애라 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김동훈 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 배인휴 (순천대학교) ;
- 함준상 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2009.11.26
- Accepted : 2010.02.17
- Published : 2010.04.30
The aim of this study was to develop a new starter for fermented milk. The approach started with 103 acid-producing isolates from Kimchi, a type of spiced, fermented cabbage and then PCR screening was used to identify 72 Lactobacillus strains. The ability to inhibit the growth of food-borne human pathogens (Escherichia coli, Salmonella enteritidis, Staphylococcus aureus) of these strains were measured, using the paper disk method. Among them, one bacterium (LHB55) that showed a strong antibacterial activity against food-borne human pathogens was identified and further characterized, using 16S rDNA sequencing and API 50CHL system. Because this isolate was identified as L. plantarum, it was named as L. plantarum LHB55. The yogurt produced using commercial LAB with L. plantarum LHB55 did not display properties that are microbially or physico-chemically different from the control group, which suggests that L. plantarum LHB55 can be used as a useful starter for yogurt containing high antibacterial activity. We think that identifying effective starter strains enabling further development of fermented milk that can deliver better health benefits such as antimicrobial properties is of high significance, and thus our effort in this type of approach will continue.
Kimchi;Lactic acid bacteria;Lactobacillus plantarum;Antibacterial activity;Yogurt
- DeDios, Pozo-Olano, J., Warran, J. H., Gomez, G. G. and Cavazos, M. G. 1978. Effect of a lactobacilli preparation on traveler's diarrhea. Gastroenterol. 74:829-839.
- Deurenberg, R. H., Vink, C., Kalenic, S., Friedrich, A. W., Bruggeman, C. A. and Stobberingh, E. E. 2007. The molecular evolution of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 13:222-235. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2006.01573.x
- Francis, A. W. 1995. Staphylococcus aureus (including toxic shock syndrom). pp. 1754-1755, Mandell Douglas and Bennetts Principles Bennett's Principles & Practice of Infections Disease. 4th eds., Churchill Livingstone.
- Han, S. J., Jung, P. M., Kim, H. G. Hwang, E. H. and Seong, I. W. 1999. Multiple intestinal ulcerations and perforations secondary to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus enteritis in infants. J. Pediatr. Surg. 34:381-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3468(99)90481-5
- Jeon, S. R., Song, T. S., Kim, J. Y., Shin, W. C., Her, S. U. and Yoon, S. S. 2007. Identification and characterization of lactic acid bacteria starters isolated from the commercial drink-yogurt products. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 27:509-516. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.4.509
- Jeong, H. J., Kim, W. J., Kim, M. J. and Park, S. C. 1995. Nosocomial infection surveillance in the care unit. Kor. J. Infect. Dis. 27:105-117.
- Kim, S. I., Kim, I. C. and Chang, H. C. 1999. Isolation and identification of antimicrobial agent producing microorganisms and sensitive strain from soil. J. Kor. Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 28: 526-533.
- Klaenhammer, T. R. 1988. Bacteriocins of lactic acid bacteria. Bichimie. 70:337-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9084(88)90206-4
- Ko, Y. D., Kim, H. J., Chun, S. S. and Sung, N. K. 1994. Development of control system for Kimchi fermentation and storage using refrigerator. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 26:199-203.
- Lee, I. S., Park, W. S., Koo, Y. J. and Kang, K. H. 1994. Changes in some characteristics of brined chinese cabbage of fall cultivars during storage. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 26:239-245.
- Lee, S. G., Lee, Y. J., Kim, M. K., Han, K. S., Jeong, S. G., Jang, A., Chae, H. S., Kim, D. H. and Ham, J. S. 2009. Quality characteristics and inhibitory activity against Staphylococcus aureus KCCM 40510 of yogurts manufactured with garlic juice. Kor. J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 29:500-505. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.4.500
- Lim, S. M. and Im, D. S. 2007. Bactericidal effect of bacteriocin of Lactobacillus plantarum K11 isolated from Dongchimi on Escherichia coli O157. J. Food Hyg. Saf. 22:151-158.
- Lim, S. M. and Im, D. S. 2009. Screening and characterization of probiotic lactic acid bacteria isolated from Korean fermented foods. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 19:178-186. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0804.269
- Mheen, T. I. and Kwon, T. W. 1984. Effect of temperature and salt concentration on Kimchi fermentation. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 16:443-450.
- Muller, D. M., Carrasco, M. S., Tonarelli, G. G. and Simonetta, A. C. 2009. Characterization and purification of a new bacteriocin with a broad inhibitory spectrum produced by Lactobacillus plantarum lp31 strain isolated from dry-fermented sausage. J. Appl. Microbiol. 106:2031-2040. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04173.x
- Nguyen, T. D., Kang, J. H. and Lee, M. S., 2007. Characterization of Lactobacillus plantarum PH04, a potential probiotic bacterium with cholesterol-lowering effects. 2007. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 113:358-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2006.08.015
- Park, S. G., Hwang, Y. O., Jung, J. H. and Lee, K. M. 2001. Biological characteristics of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from food-borne patients in Seoul. J. Food Hyg. Saf. 16:159-167.
- Park, W. S., Lee, I. S., Han, Y. S. and Koo, Y. J. 1994. Kimchi preparation with brined chinese cabbage and seasoning mixture stored separately. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 26:231-238.
- Rhee, Y. H. and Kang, M. S. 1996. Characteristics of betagalactosidase activity in Lactobacillus plantarum from Kimchi. Agr. Chem. Biotechnol. 39:60-66.
Rhee, Y. H. and Kang, M. S. 1996. Physico-chemical characteristics and
$\beta$-galactosidase activity of Lactobacillus plantarum from Kimchi. Agr. Chem. Biotechnol. 39:54-59.
- Sanders, M. E. and Huis In't Veld, J. 1999. Bringing a probioticcontaining functional food to the market: microbiological, product, regulatory and labeling issues. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 76:293-315. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1002029204834
- So, M. H. and Kim, Y. B. 1995. Cultural characteristics psychrotrophic lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kimchi. Kor. J. Food Sci. Technol. 27:506-515.
- Straume, D., Johansen, R. F., Bjoras, M., Nes, I. F. and Diep, D. B. 2009. DNA binding kinetics of two response regulators, PlnC and PlnD, from the bacteriocin regulon of Lactobacillus plantarum C11. BMC. Biochem. 10:17-27. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2091-10-17
- Taylor, J., Hirsch, A. and Mattick, A. R. T. 1949. The treatment of bovine streptococcal and staphylococcal mastitis with nisin. Vet. Rec. 61:197-198.
- Tsai, T. y., Chu, L. H., Lee, C. L. and Pan, T. M. 2009. Atherosclerosis-preventing activity of lactic acid bacteriafermneted milk-soymilk supplemented with Momordica charantia. J. Agric. Food Chem. 57:2065-2071. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf802936c
- Wang, Y., Xu, N., Xi, A., Ahmed, Z., Zhang, B. and Bai, X. 2009. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum MA2 isolated from Tibet kefir on lipid metabolism and intestinal microflora of rats fed on high-cholesterol diet. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 84:341-347. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-009-2012-x
- Yoon, J. H., Lee, S. T. and Park, Y. H. 1996. Inter-and intraspecific phylogenetic analysis of the genus Nocardioides and related taxa based on 16S rDNA sequences. Int. J. Syst. Bacteriol. 48:187-194. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-48-1-187
- Repeated-Dose Oral Toxicity Study of Lactobacillus Plantarum AF1 Isolated from Kimchi in Rats vol.41, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.5.612
- Edible Culture Media from Cereals and Soybeans for Pre-cultivation of Lactic Acid Bacteria vol.42, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.6.991
- A Genotoxicological Safety Evaluation of Crude Antifungal Compounds Produced by Lactobacillus Plantarum AF1 and Lactobacillus Plantarum HD1 vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2015.26.4.633
- Efficient conversion of conjugated linoleic acid c9,t11 by Lactobacillus fermentation from vegetable oil to generate fermented milk with high CLA content vol.25, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.4.482