- Volume 16 Issue 4
Rendering of Sweep Surfaces using Programmable Graphics Hardware
그래픽스 하드웨어를 이용한 스윕 곡면의 렌더링
- Ko, Dae-Hyun (Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology) ;
- Yoon, Seung-Hyun (Dept. of Multimedia Eng., Dongguk Univ.) ;
- Lee, Ji-Eun (School of Computer Eng., Chosun Univ.)
- Received : 2010.04.30
- Accepted : 2010.11.05
- Published : 2010.12.01
We present an efficient algorithm for rendering sweep surfaces using programmable graphics hardware. A sweep surface can be represented by a cross-section curve undergoing a spline motion. This representation has a simple matrix-vector multiplication structure that can easily be adapted to programmable graphics hardware. The data for the motion and cross-section curves are stored in texture memory. The vertex processor considers a pair of surface parameters as a vertex and evaluates its coordinates and normal vector with a single matrix multiplication. Using the GPU in this way is between 10 and 40 times as fast as CPU-based rendering.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- M. Guthe, A. Balazs, and R. Klein, "Gpu-based trimming and tessellation of nurbs and t-spline surfaces," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1016-1023,2005. https://doi.org/10.1145/1073204.1073305
- T. Kanai, "Fragment-based evaluation of non-uniform bspline surfaces on gpus," Computer-Aided Design and Applications, vol. 4, no, 1-4, pp. 287-294, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1080/16864360.2007.10738549
- C. Loop and J. Blinn, "Real-time gpu rendering of piecewise algebraic surfaces," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 25, no. 3,pp. 664-670, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1145/1141911.1141939
- H.-F. Pabst, J. Springer, A Schollmeyer, R. Lenhardt, C. Lessig, and B. Froehlich, "Ray casting of trimmed nurbs surfaces on the gpu," Proc. IEEE Symposium on Interactive Raytracing, pp, 151-160,2006.
- D, Blythe, "The direct3d 10 system," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 724-734, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1145/1141911.1141947
- M. Lee, "Next-generation graphics programming on xbox360," 2006. [Online]. Available: http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30d58cd-87a2-4Id5-bb53-baf560aa2373/
- J. J. van Wijk, "Ray tracing objects defined by sweeping planar cubic splines," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 3, no. 3,pp. 223-237, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1145/3870.3875
- S. Coquillart, "A control-point-based sweeping technique," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 36-45,1987.
- K. I. Joy, "Visualization of swept hyperpatch solids," Proc. CG International, 1992.
- W. F. Bronsvoort and F. Kolk, "Ray tracing generalized cylinders," ACM Transactions on Graphics, vol. 4, no, 4, pp, 291- 303,1985. https://doi.org/10.1145/6116.6118
- W. F. Bronsvoort, P. R. van Nieuwenhuizen, and F. H. Post, "Display of profiled sweep objects," The Visual Computer, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 147-157, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01901389
- D.-E. Hyun, S.-H. Yoon, J.-W. Chang, J.-K. Seong, M.-S. Kim, and B. Juttler, "Sweep-based human deformation," The Visual Computer, vol. 21, no, 8-10, pp. 542-550, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00371-005-0343-x
- J. Lee, S,-H, Yoon, and M.-S, Kim, "Realistic human hand deformation," Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 479-489, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/cav.150
- T. Nishita and H. Johan, "A scan line algorithm for rendering curved tubular objects," Proc. of Pacific Graphics, pp. 92- 101, 1999.
- B. Juttler and M. G. Wagner, "Computer aided design with spatial rational b-spline motions," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, vol. 118, pp. 193-201. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2826869
- T.-I. Chang, J.-H, Lee, M.-S. Kim, and S, Hong, "Direct manipulation of generalized cylinders based on b-spline motion," The Visual Computer, vol. 14, no. 5/6, pp. 228-239, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003710050137