- Volume 4 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Diet intervention to improve cardiovascular risk factors among Iranian postmenopausal women
- Abedi, Parvin (Department of Midwifery, Ahvaz Jondishapur University of Medical Science) ;
- Lee, Mary Huang-Soo (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Universiti of Putra Malaysia) ;
- Kandiah, Mirnalini (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Universiti of Putra Malaysia) ;
- Yassin, Zaitun (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Universiti of Putra Malaysia) ;
- Shojaeezade, Davood (Department 9f Health, Tehran University of Medical Science) ;
- Hosseini, Mostafa (Department of Statistics, Tehran University of Medical Science) ;
- MSc, Reza Malihi (Department of Nutrition, Ahvaz, Jondishapur University of Medical Science)
- Received : 2010.07.11
- Accepted : 2010.12.12
- Published : 2010.12.31
Cardiovascular disease is a leading cause of death and disability and remains so in the future. The aim of this study was to detect the impact of a 6-month diet intervention on cardiovascular risk factors in postmenopausal Iranian women. It was a randomized controlled trial that carried out in the East Health Clinic in Ahvaz-Iran. This study started on June 2007 and was completed on May 2008. A total 64 healthy postmenopausal women recruited and randomly assigned to the intervention group (35) and control (29). Over the six months follow-up, the intervention group received five educational sessions (two face to face and three lecture discussion classes with slide demonstration) at the first month. These sessions were about menopause, cardiovascular disease and healthy diet. Every participant in the intervention group received one face to face education session at the
- Mendis S, Lindholm LH, Manda G, Whitworth J, Alderman M, Lim S, Heagerty T. World Health Organization (WHO) and International Society of Hypertension (ISH) risk prediction charts: assessment of cardiovascular risk for prevention and control of cardiovascular disease in low and middle-income countries. J Hypertens 2007;25:1578-1582. https://doi.org/10.1097/HJH.0b013e3282861fd3
- Fakhrzadeh H, Bandarian F, Adibi H, Samavati H, Malekafzali H, Hodjazadeh E, Larijani B. Coronary heart disease and associated risk factors in Qazvin: a population-based study. East Mediterranean Health J 2008;14:33-41.
- Khosravi A, Taylor R, Naghavi M, Lopez AD. Mortality in the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1964-2004. Bull World Health Organ 2007;85:607-614. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.06.038802
- Rosano GM, Vitale C, Marazzi G, Volterrani M. Menopause and cardiovascular disease: the evidence. Climacteric 2007;10:19-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/13697130601114917
- Bush TL, Fried LP, Barrett-Connor E. Cholesterol, lipoproteins, and coronary heart disease in women. Clin Chern 1988;34:B60-B70.
- Manson JE, Hu FB, Rich-Edwards JW, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Speizer FE, Hennekens CR. A prospective study of walking as compared with vigorous exercise in the prevention of coronary heart disease in women. N Engl J Med 1999;341:650-658. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199908263410904
- Hjortland M, McNamara, Kannel W. Some atherogenic concomitants of menopause: The Framingham Study. Am J Epidemiol 1976;103:304-311.
- Matthews KA, Meilahn E, Kuller LH, Kelsey SF, Caggiula AW, Wing RR. Menopause and risk factors for coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 1989;321:641-646. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198909073211004
- Wing RR, Marcus MD, Epstein LH, Jawad A. A "family-based" approach to the treatment of obese type II diabetic patients. J Consult Clin Psychol 1991 ;59: 156-162.
- Haddock BL, Marshak HP, Mason JJ, Blix G. The effect of hormone replacement therapy and exercise on cardiovascular disease risk factors in postmenopausal women. Sports Med 2000;29:39-49. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200029010-00004
- Mosca L, Banka CL, Benjamin EJ, Berra K, Bushnell C, Dolor RJ, Ganiats TG, Gomes AS, Gornik HL et al. Evidence-based guidelines for cardiovascular disease prevention in women: 2007 update. Circulation 2007;115:1481-1501. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.181546
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education [Internet]. Iran: 2007 Available from: http://www.behdasht.gov.ir.
- Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults. Executive sunnnary of the third report of the national cholesterol education program (NCEP) expert panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA 2001;285:2486-2497. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.19.2486
- Thomas L. Clinical laboratory diagnostics. 1st Ed. Frankfurt: TIH-Books Verlagsgesellschaft; 1998. p.131-137.
- Dorosty AR, Tabatabaee M. The food composition table. The Iranian nutrition world Journal 2007;16:15-20.
- Wing R, Polley B. Obesity. In: Baum A, Revenson T, Singer J. Handbook of health psychology. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum: Mahwah, NJ; 2001. p.263.
- Carels RA, Darby LA, Cacciapaglia HM, Douglass OM. Reducing cardiovascular risk factors in postmenopausal women through a lifestyle change intervention. J Womens Health 2004;13:412-426. https://doi.org/10.1089/154099904323087105
- Kasim-Karakas SE, Almario RU, Mueller WM, Peerson J. Changes in plasma lipoproteins during low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets: effects of energy intake. Arn J Clin Nutr 2000;71:1439-1447.
- McEligot AJ, Gilpin EA, Rock CL, Newman V, Hollenbach KA, Thomson CA, Pierce JP. High dietary fiber consumption is not associated with gastrointestinal discomfort in a diet intervention trial. J Arn Diet Assoc 2002;102:549-551. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90127-6
- Lairon D, Arnault N, Bertrais S, Planells R, Clero E, Hercberg S, Boutron-Ruault Me. Dietary fiber intake and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in French adults. Arn J Clin Nutr 2005;82:1185-1194.
- Trabulsi J, Schoeller DA. Evaluation of dietary assessment instnnnents against doubly labeled water, a biomarker of habitual energy intake. Arn J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E891-E899.
- Mirmiran P, Noori N, Zavareh MB, Azizi F. Fruit and vegetable consumption and risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Metabolism 2009;58:460-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2008.11.002
- Atherogenic index of plasma and risk of cardiovascular disease among Cameroonian postmenopausal women vol.15, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12944-016-0222-7