- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship of larval density of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) to damage in greenhouse sweet pepper
시설재배 피망에서 담배거세미나방의 유충밀도와 피해관계
- Received : 2010.11.19
- Accepted : 2010.12.15
- Published : 2010.12.30
This study was conducted to determine the relationship of larval density of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) to damage in greenhouse sweet pepper. Laboratory experiments, cage experiments by artificial release and field investigation were carried out in 2008. The leaf consumption rate increased greatly with larval development. The damaged leaves had several round or oval shape holes on the surface or lost certain parts of them, and the fruit damaged had a conspicuous hole on the surface or scar marks around the calyx. In the field investigation, fruit damage was highly correlated with larval densities and reached 3.5% damage at maximum. Cage experiments showed that numbers of non-marketable fruit increased as increasing larval densities released. The larval density at two weeks before harvest had a high relationship with the percentage of damaged-fruit at harvest. Corresponding larval density caused 1, 3, 5% of damaged-fruit was 0.2, 0.5, 0.8 larvae per plant, respectively.
Sweet Pepper;Tobacco cutworm;Damage analysis
- Bae, S.D. 1999. Leaf characteristics of leguminous plants and the biology of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura Fabricius, I. The larval development and leaf feeding amount. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 38: 217-224.
- Bae, S.D., H.J. Kim, G.H. Lee and S.T. Park. 2007. Seasonal occurrence of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura Fabricius and beet armyworm, Spodoptera exigua Hubner using sex pheromone traps at different locations and regions in Yeongnam district. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 46: 27-35. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.1.027
- Hyun, J.S. 2005. Integrated pest control - principles and practices. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 44: 73-90.
- Kim, H.H., S.R. Cho, H.Y. Choo, S.M. Lee, H.Y. Jeon and D.W. Lee. 2008. Biological control of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) by Steinernematid and Heterorhabditid entomopathogenic nematodes. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 47: 447-456. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.4.447
- Kim, H.Y., J.H. Kim, B.G. Son, J.R. Cho, Y.H. Lee, Y.H. Kim and M.Y. Choi. 2009. Analysis on the mass-trapping effects by Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) sex pheromon traps deployed around the tomato glasshouse. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 48: 245-251. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2009.48.2.245
- Kim, S.G., J.D. Park, D.I. Kim, D.J. Im, K.C. Kim and Y.M. Yu. 2003. Effects of field application of Spodoptera litura nucleopolyherovirus to control S. litura in chrysanthemum. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 42: 153-157.
- Lee, G.H., S.D. Bae, H.J. Kim, S.T. Park and M.Y. Choi. 2006. Economic injury levels for the common cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Fabricius) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) on soybean. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 45: 333-337.
- Nakasuji, F. and T. Matsuzaki. 1977. The control threshold density of the tobacco cutworm Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) on eggplants and sweet pepper in Vinyl-houses. Appl. Ent. Zool. 12: 184-189.
- Park, H.H., W.H. Yeh and H.M. Park. 2007a. Gain threshold estimation for some pests in major crops. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 46: 63-69. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.1.063
- Park, H.H., J.H. Lee and K.B. Uhm. 2007b. Economic threshold of western flower thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) for unripe red pepper in greenhouse. J. Asia-Pacific Entomol. 10: 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60330-1
- Rao, G.V.R, J.A. Wightman and D.V.R. Rao. 1989. Thershold temperatures and thermal requirements for the development of Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Environ. Entomol. 18: 548-551. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/18.4.548
- SAS. 2003. SAS user's manual, Enterprise 3.0. SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- Shin, H.Y., C.H. Kim, C.G. Park and Y.S. Lee. 1987. Biology of tobacco cutworm, Spodoptera litura Fabricius, (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). I. Seasonal occurrence of tobacco cutworm in Southern Korea and larval development, pupal period, adult longevity and oviposition on the different food sources. Res. Rept. RDA (D. M. & U). 29: 301-307.
- Tojo, S., Y. Hayakawa, and P. Phaophan. 2008. Strains in the common cutworm, Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) with differing host ranges. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 43: 491-496. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2008.491
- Continuous measuring of leaf area for analyzing feeding behavior of Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) larva vol.20, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2017.03.004
Grant : 주요 병해충, 잡초 경제적방제수준 설정 및 피해해석에 관한 연구
Supported by : 농촌진흥청