- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Damages and Rice Consumption by Golden Apple Snails(Pomacea canaliculata: Ampullariidae) at Growth Stages of Rice
벼 생육시기별 왕우렁이의 벼 섭식량 및 피해해석
- Received : 2010.10.14
- Accepted : 2010.11.24
- Published : 2010.12.30
The golden apple snail was introduced to the Korea from Japan as a potential food for people in 1983. It is one of the pests of direct-seeded rice in korea. This study was conducted to investigate rice(Oriza sativa) consumption and the extent of damage by the golden apple snail(Pomacea canaliculata) in direct-sown paddy fields. Food consumption of the golden apple snail was highest at
Golden apple snail;Rice;Consumption;Damage
- Chang, K.M. 1985. Agricultural pest of apple snails in Taiwan. Chiribotan. 16: 1-7.
- Department of agriculture-FAO. 1989. Integrated "golden" kuhol management. inter-country program for integrated pest control in rice in south and southeast asia, 44pp(Leafet).
- Halwart, M. 1994a. The golden apple snail Pomacea canaliculata in asian rice farming systems: Present impact and future threat. Int. J. Pest Manage. 40: 199-206. https://doi.org/10.1080/09670879409371882
- Halwart, M. 1994b. Fish as biocontrol agents in rice- the potential of common carp cyprinus carpio (L) and Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L). Margraf Verlag, Weikersheim, F.R. Germany, 169pp.
- Hirai, Y. 1988 Apple snail in Japan- the present status and management JARQ Japan. 22: 161-165.
- Hirai, Y. 1989. Expanding occurrence and distribution of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata (Lamark), in Japan. Plant Prot. 43: 498-501.
- Ihering H. 1919. Las especies de Ampullaria en la Argentina. I Reunion Nac. Soc. Arg. Cs. Nat. (Actas): 329-350.
- Joseph, K., P.V. Hemachandra and S.D.G. Jayawardena. 1989. Effect of seedling age on performance of the 3-month rice variety Bg 276-5. Tropical. Agriculturist(Sri Lanka). 145: 93-101.
- Kim, D,I., S.G. Kim, K.J. Choi, B.R. Kang, J.D. Park, J.J. Lim, D.R. Choi and H.M. Park. 2007. Occurrence and damage of golden apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata: Ampullariidae) in Jeonnam province of south Korea. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 46: 109-115. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.1.109
- Lee, J.W., K.B. Uhm and C.K. Kim. 1984. Survey of rice damage by apple snails. Rep. Res. Exp. RDA. 357-358.
- Lee, S.B., M.H. Koh, Y.E. Na and J.H. Kim. 2002. Physiological and ecological characteristics of the apple snails. Kor. J. Environ. Agri. 21: 50-56. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2002.21.1.050
- Litsinger, J.A. and D.B. Estano. 1993. Management of the golden apple snail Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck) in rice. Crop Protection 12: 363-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-2194(93)90079-X
- Matienzo, L.H. 1984. Wilson Ang's big foot snails. Green elds. 14: 24-29.
- Miyahara, Y., Y. Hirai and S. Oya. 1986. Occurrence of Ampullarius insularus D'Orbigny injuring lowland crops. Shokubutsu-boeki 40: 31-35.
- Mochida O. 1991. Spread of freshwater Pomacea canaliculata snail (Pilidae, Mollusca) from Argentina to asia. Micronesica Suppl. 3: 51-62.
- Moon, Y.H., D.H. Oh, G.C. Kim, J.S. Choi and J.S. Na. 1997. Test of organic agricultural material on paddy field. Rep. Res. Exp. Chonbuk ARES. 533-540.
- Naylor, R. 1996. Invasion in agriculture: assessing the cost of the golden apple snail in asia. Ambio 25: 443-448.
- Oya, S., Y. Hirai and Y. Miyahara. 1986. Injuring habits of the apple snail, Ampullarius insularus D'Orbigny, to the young rice seedlings. Proc. Assoc. Pl. Prot. Kyushu 32: 92-95. https://doi.org/10.4241/kyubyochu.32.92
- Ozawa, A. and T. Makino. 1989. Biology of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck), and its control. Shokubutsuboeki 43: 502-505.
- Parlis, F.V., R.F. Macatula, T. Marchand, H. Dupo, M. Olandy and G. Estoy. 1994. Niclosamide (bayluscide 250EC): an effective molluscicide for golden apple snail (Pomacea sp.) control in rice in the Philippines. In: The 4th International Conference on Plant Protection in the Tropics. pp. 266-270.
- Park, J.K. and D.J. Cho. 1985. Damage of rice seedlings period by apple snails in southern area. Rep. Res. Exp. Gyeongnam ARES. 513-515.
- Rejesus, B.M., A.S. Sayboc and R.C. Joshi. 1990. The distribution and control of the introduced golden apple snail (Pomacea sp.) in the Philippines. In: Introduction of Germplasm and Quarantine Procedures. Planti Proc. 4: 213-224, PLANTI K.L. Malaysia.
- Rondon, M.B and D.P. Callo. 1991. Distribution and mode of infestation of golden snail in the rice farming. In: Acocta, B.O., pullen R.S.(Eds.), Environmental impact of golden snail on rice farming system in the philippines. A summary report of workshop 9-10 November 1989. The freshwater aquaculture center, central Luzon state university, Nueva Ecija, philippines and ICLARM, penang, pp.16-17.
- Sanico, A.L., S. Peng, R.C. Laza and R.M. Visperas. 2002. Effect of seedling age and seedling number per hill on snail damage in irrigated rice. Crop Pro. 21: 137-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-2194(01)00075-8
- SAS Institute. 1995. SAS/STAT user's guide, lease 6.12 ed. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Schnorbach, H.J. 1995. The golden apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata Lamarck), an increasing important pest in rice, and methods of control with bayluscids. Pflanzenschutz-nachr. Bayer 48: 313-346.
- Suzuki, M. and T. Fukuda. 1988. Seasonal occurrence of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck). Proc. Kanto-Tosan Pl. Prot. Soc. 35: 219-220.
- Tanaka, K., T. Watanabe, H. Higuchi, K. Miyamoto, Y. Yusa, T. Kiyonaga, H. Kiyota, Y. Suzuki and T. Wada. 1999. Density-dependent growth and reproduction of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata: a density manipulation experiment in a paddy field. Res. Popul. Ecol. 41: 253-262. https://doi.org/10.1007/s101440050029
- Teo, S.S. 2002. Selecting plants with molluscicidal properties for the control of the golden apple snail Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck). Paper presented in the 3rd International Conference on Biopesticides, 22-26 April 2002, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Teo, S.S. 2004. Biology of golden apple snail Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck), with emphasis on responses to certain environmental conditions in Sabah, Malaysia. Molluscan Research. 24: 139-148. https://doi.org/10.1071/MR04009
- Wada, T. 2004. Strategies for controlling the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck) (Gastropoda: Ampullariidae) in Japanese direct-sown paddy fields. JARQ. 38: 75-80. https://doi.org/10.6090/jarq.38.75
- Wada, T., H. Higuchi,, K. Ichinose and Y. Fukushima. 1999. Effect of drainage on damage to direct-sown rice by the apple snail Pomacea canaliculata (Lamarck). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 34: 365-370.
- Yano, S. and M. Nakatani. 1989. Injury to rice and overwintering of the apple snail, Pomacea canaliculata. Proc. Kansai Pl. Prot. Soc. 31: 57.
- SOWING METHODS AND WATER LEVELS INFLUENCE APPLE SNAIL DAMAGE TO RICE AND ITS YIELD IN PENINSULAR MALAYSIA vol.53, pp.04, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0014479716000557
- Investigation on Disease Incidence and Yield of Rice Cultivars for Use in Processing of Eco-friendly-grown Germinated Brown Rice vol.18, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2012.18.4.399