- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Novel TIGBT with Trench Collector
트렌치 콜렉터를 가지는 새로운 TIGBT 에 관한 연구
- Published : 2010.03.01
Various power semiconductor devices have been developed and evolved since 1950s. Among them, IGBT is the most developed power semiconductor device which has high breakdown voltage, high current conduction and suitable switching speed which perform trade-offs between each other. In other words, there are trade-offs between a breakdown voltage and on-state voltage drop, and between on-state voltage drop and turn-off time. In this paper, the new structure is proposed to improve a trade-off between a breakdown voltage and on-state voltage drop. The proposed structure has a trench collector and this trench collector induces an accumulation layer at the bottom of an n-drift region during off-state. And this accumulation layer prevents expansion of depletion layer so that trapezoidal electric field distribution is performed in the n-drift region. As a result of this, breakdown voltage is increased without increasing on-state voltage drop. The electrical characteristics of the proposed IGBT is analyzed and optimized by using representative device simulator, TSUPREM4 and MEDICI. After optimization, the electrical characteristics of the proposed IGBT is compared with NPT IGBT which have the same device thickness. As a result of this, it can be confirmed that the proposed structure increases the breakdown voltage of 800 V than that of the conventional NPT IGBT without increasing the on-state voltage drop.
- G. Majumdar and T. Minato, "Recent and future IGBT evolutiojn", Power Conversion Conference Proc., p. 355, 2007.
- Y. I. Choi, “Yesterday and tomorrow of the power semiconductor devices”, J. of KIEE(in Korean), Vol. 46, No. 2, p. 13, 1997.
- B. J. Baliga, "Power semiconductor devices", PWS Publishing Company, p. 426, 1996.
- V. K. Khanna, "IGBT theory and design", John Wiley & Sons, p. 229, 2003.
- S. Kyoung, J.-S. Lee, S.-H. Kwak, E.-G. Kang, and M. Y. Sung, "A novel trench IGBT with a deep P+ layer beneath the trench emitter", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 30, No. 1, p. 82, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/LED.2008.2008731
- J.-S. Lee, E.-G. Kang, and M. Y. Sung, "Shielding region effects on a trench gate IGBT", Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 39, No. 1, p. 57, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mejo.2007.10.023