- Volume 25 Issue 5
Wear Patterns and Mechanisms of Cutting Tool in Cutting of Machinable Ceramics
가공성 세라믹 절삭에서 공구의 마멸 패턴과 메카니즘
- Jang, Sung-Min (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yuhan University) ;
- Baek, Seung-Yub (Department of Mechanical Design, Induk University)
- Received : 2009.07.12
- Accepted : 2010.10.11
- Published : 2010.10.31
When the ceramic material is being machined, micro crack and brittle fracture dominate the process of material removal. Generally, ceramics are very difficult-to-cut materials and machined using conventional method such as grinding and polishing. However, such processes are generally cost-expensive and have low material removal rate. Machinable ceramics used in this study contain BN powder to overcome these problem and for productivity elevation. This paper focuses on machinability evaluation during end mill process with CNC machining center in this study. Experiment for this purpose is performed for tool wear patterns and mechanism.
- J. W. Han, "A Study on the Residual Stresses of Ceramic Coating", Journal of the KOSOS, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 19-23, 2007.
- J. W. Han, "Failure of Ceramic Coatings Subjected to Thermal Cyclings", Journal of the KOSOS, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 1-5, 2005.
- Y, Cao, "Failure analysis of exit edges in ceramic machining using finite element analysis", Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 8, pp. 325-338, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1350-6307(00)00024-8
- G. Zhang, Y. Cao and L. Qi, "Single point cutting of machinable glass ceramics", Transactions of NAMRI/ SME, Vol. XXVII, pp. 159-164, 1999.
- G. Zhang, L. Qi and Y. Cao, "Assessment of machining performance of dental ceramics", Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol. XXVI, pp. 105-110, 1998.
- Z. Y. Wang, K. P. Rajurkar and M. Murugappan, "Cryogenic PCBN turning of ceramic(Si3N4)", Wear, Vol. 195, pp. 1-6, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(95)06645-4
- B. H. Yan, F. Y. Huang and H. M. Chow, "Study on the turning characteristics of alumina-based ceramics", Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 54, pp. 341-347, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(95)01798-4
- S. M. Jang, M. W. Cho, W. S. Cho and J. H. Lee, "Evaluation of R-curve Behavior Analysis and Machinability of Si3N4-hBN Machinable Ceramics", J. of KSPE, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 61-70, 2004.