- Volume 4 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Revocable Fingerprint Template for Security and Privacy Preserving
- Jin, Zhe (Faculty of Information Science & Technology, Multimedia University) ;
- Teoh, Andrew Beng Jin (Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department, Yonsei University) ;
- Ong, Thian Song (Faculty of Information Science & Technology, Multimedia University) ;
- Tee, Connie (Faculty of Information Science & Technology, Multimedia University)
- Received : 2010.07.16
- Accepted : 2010.09.20
- Published : 2010.12.23
With the wide deployment of biometric authentication systems, several issues pertaining security and privacy of the biometric template have gained great attention from the research community. To resolve these issues, a number of biometric template protection methods have been proposed. However, the design of a template protection method to satisfy four criteria, namely diversity, revocability and non-invertibility is still a challenging task, especially performance degradation when template protection method is employed. In this paper, we propose a novel method to generate a revocable minutiae-based fingerprint template. The proposed method consists of feature extraction from fingerprint minutiae pairs, quantization, histogram binning, binarization and eventually binary bit-string generation. The contributions of our method are two fold: alignment-free and good performance. Various experiments on FVC2004 DB1 demonstrated the effectiveness of the proposed methods.
- N. K. Ratha, J. H. Connell, R. M. Bolle, "Enhancing security and privacy in biometrics-based authentication systems," IBM Syst. J., vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 614-634, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1147/sj.403.0614
- http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Cancelable_biometrics (accessed on 2010.05.31)
- Andrew B.J. Teoh, A. Goh, and D.C.L. Ngo, "Random Multispace Quantisation as an Analytic Mechanism for BioHashing of Biometric and Random Identity Inputs," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1892-1901, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2006.250
- N. K. Ratha, S. Chikkerur, J. H. Connell, and R. M. Bolle, "Generating Cancelable Fingerprint Templates," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Special Issue on Biometrics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 561-572, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2007.1004
- Q. Feng, F. Su, A. Cai, F.F. Zhao, "Cracking Cancelable Fingerprint Template of Ratha," in Proc. of International Symposium on Computer Science and Computational Technology, vol. 2, pp. 572-575, 2008.
- S.W. Shin, M.-K. Lee, D.S. Moon, K.Y. Moon, "Dictionary Attack on Functional Transform-Based Cancelable Fingerprint Templates," ETRI Journal, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 628-630, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.09.0209.0137
- http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Cancelable_biometrics (accessed on 2010.05.31).
- F.L. Han, J.k. Hu, L.L. He, Y. Wang, "Generation of Reliable PINs from Fingerprints," in Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on communication, pp. 1191-1196, 2007.
- A. Nagar, S. Rane, A. Vetro, "Alignment and Bit Extraction for Secure Fingerprint Biometrics," SPIE Conference on Electronic Imaging, vol. 7541, pp. 75410N-75410N-14, 2010.
- Y. Sutcu, S. Rane, J. Yedidia, S. Draper, A, Vetro, "Feature extraction for a slepian-wolf biometric system using ldpc codes," in Proc. of International Symposium on Information Theory, pp. 2297-2301, 2008.
- S. Tulyakov, F. Farooq, V. Govindaraju, "Symmetric Hash Functions for Fingerprint Minutiae," in Proc. of International Workshop on Pattern Recognition for Crime Prevention, Security and Surveillance, vol. 3687, pp. 30-38, 2005.
- F. Farooq, R. Bolle, M. Ruud, T. Jea, and N. Ratha, "Anonymous and Revocable Fingerprint Recognition," in Proc. of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1-7, 2007.
- C. Lee, J. Choi, K. Toh, S. Lee, and Jaihie Kim, "Alignment-Free Cancelable Fingerprint Templates Based on Local Minutiae Information," IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part B, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 980-992, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2007.896999
- Z. Jin, A.B.J. Teoh, T. S. Ong, C. Tee, "Secure Minutiae-based Fingerprint Templates Using Random Triangle Hashing," in Proc. of 1st International Visual Informatics Conf., pp. 521-531, 2009.
- C.H. Lee, J. Kim, "Cancelable fingerprint templates using minutiae-based bit-strings," J Network Comput Appl, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 236-246, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2009.12.011
- G. Parziale and A. Niel, "A fingerprint matching using minutiae triangulation," In Proc. of ICBA, pp. 241-248, 2004.
- Third International Fingerprint Verification Competition. http://bias.csr.unibo.it/fvc2004/, 2004.
- A.B.J. Teoh, and C.T. Yuang, "Cancellable Biometrics Realization with Multispace Random Projections". IEEE Transaction SMC Part B - Special Issue on Recent Advances in Biometrics Systems, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1096-1106, 2007.
- T. M.Cover and J. A.Thomas, "Elements of Information Theory," John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1991.