- Volume 37 Issue 1
Tracking hands is an essential technique for hand gesture recognition which is an efficient way in Human Computer Interaction (HCI). Recently, many researchers have focused on hands tracking using a 3D hand model and showed robust tracking results compared to using 2D hand models. In this paper, we propose a novel 3D hand tracking method based on a coupled particle filter. This provides robust and fast tracking results by estimating each part of global hand poses and local finger motions separately and then utilizing the estimated results as a prior for each other. Furthermore, in order to improve the robustness, we apply a multi-cue based method by integrating a color-based area matching method and an edge-based distance matching method. In our experiments, the proposed method showed robust tracking results for complex hand motions in a cluttered background.
- B. Stenger, A. Thayananthan, P. Torr, and R. Cipolla, "Model-based Hand Tracking using a Hierarchical Bayesian Filter," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol.28, no.9, pp.1372-1384, 2006.
- M. Bray, E. Meier, and L. Gool, "Smart Particle Filtering for High-Dimensional Tracking," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, vol.106, no.1, pp.116-129, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2005.09.013
- J. Maccormick and M. Isard, "Partitioned Sampling, Articulated Objects, and Interface Quality Hand Tracking," Proc. European Conference on Computer Vision, Dublin, Ireland, pp.3-19, 2000.
- Y. Wu, J. Lin, and T. Huang, "Analyzing and Capturing Articulated Hand Motion in Image Sequences," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol.27, no.12, pp.1910-1922, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2005.233
- M. Isard and A. Blake, "CONDENSATION - Conditional Density Propagation for Visual Tracking," International Journal of Computer Vision, vol.29, no.1, pp.5-28, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008078328650
- J. Lin, Y. Wu, and T. Huang, "Modeling the Constraints of Human Hand Motion," Proc. Workshop on Human Motion, Texas, USA, pp.121-126, 2000.
- F. Chen, C. Fu, and C. Huang, "Hand Gesture Recognition Using a Real-time Tracking Method and Hidden Markov Models," Image and Vision Computing, vol.21, no.8, pp.745-758, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0262-8856(03)00070-2
- A. Argyros and M. Lourakis, "Real Time Tracking of Multiple Skin Colored Objects with a Possibly Moving Camera," European Conference on Computer Vision, Prague, Czech Republic, pp. 368-379, 2004.
- G. Borgefors, "Hierarchical Chamfer Matching: A Parametric Edge Matching Algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol.10, no.6, pp.849-865, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.9107
- J. Kovac, P. Peer, and F. Solina, "Human Skin Color Clustering for Face Detection," Proc. The IEEE Region 8 EUROCON 2003: Computer as a Tool, pp.144-148, 2003.