- Volume 16 Issue 1
An analytical method for robust design of the multi-loop proportional-integral (PI) controller is proposed for various types of multi-delay processes. On the basis of the direct synthesis and generalized IMC-PID approach, the analytical tuning rules of the multi-loop PI controller are firstly derived for achieving the desired closed-loop response, and the structured singular value synthesis is then utilized for the tradeoffs between the robust stability and performance by adjusting only one design parameter (i.e., the closed-loop time constant). To verify the superiority of the proposed method, the simulation studies have been conducted on a wide variety of multivariable processes. The multi-loop PI controller designed by the proposed method shows a fast, well-balanced and robust response with the minimum integral absolute error (IAE) in compared with other renowned methods.
- W. L. Luyben, "Simple method for tuning SISO controllers in multivariable systems," Ind. Eng. Chem. Proc. Des. Dev., vol. 25, pp. 654-660, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1021/i200034a010
- P. Grosdidier and M. Morari, "Interaction measures for systems under decentralized control," Automatica, vol. 22, pp. 309-319, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(86)90029-4
- A. P. Loh, C. C. Hang, C. K. Quek, and V. N. Vasnani, "Autotuning of multivariable proportional-integral controllers using relay feedback," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., vol. 32, pp. 1102-1107, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00018a017
- M. Lee, K. Lee, C. Kim, and J. Lee, "Analytical design of multi-loop PID controllers for desired closed-loop responses," AIChE J., vol. 50, pp. 1631-1635, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.10166
- N. L. V. Truong and M. Lee, "Robust multi-loop PI controller design for multivariable processes," Korea Automatic Control Conference, Bexco, Pusan, 2009, pp. 771-776.
- J. G. Truxal, Automatic Feedback Control System Synthesis, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1955.
- D. E. Seborg, T. F. Edgar, and D. A. Mellichamp, Process Dynamics and Control, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.
- N. L. V. Truong and M. Lee, "Multi-loop PI controllers based on the direct synthesis for interacting multi-time delay processes," ISA Trans., in press, 2009.
- M. Morari and Z. Zafiriou, Robust Process Control, Prentice Hall, 1989.
- C. E. Garcia and M. Morari, "Internal model control I. A unifying review and some new results," Ind. Eng. Chem. Proc. Process. Des. Dev., vol. 21, pp. 308-318, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1021/i200017a016
- D. E. Rivera, M. Morari, and S. Skogestad, "Internal model control. 4. PID controller design: multi-loop design," Ind. Eng. Process Design. Dev, vol. 25, pp. 252-262, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1021/i200032a041
- C. G. Economou and M. Morari, "Internal model control 6: multi-loop design," Ind. Eng. Chem. Proc. Process. Des. Dev., vol. 25, pp. 411-419, 1989.
- N. L. V. Truong, J. Lee, and M. Lee, "Design of multi-loop PID controllers based on the generalized IMC-PID method with Mp criterion," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, vol. 5, pp. 212-217, 2007.
- S. Skogestad and I. Postlethwaithe, Multivariable Feedback Control Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
- J. C. Doyle, J. E. Wall, and G. Stein, "Performance and robustness analysis for structured uncertainty," Proc. of IEEE Conf. Decision Control, pp. 629-636, 1982.
- S. L. William, Control system fundamentals, CRC, 1999.
- E. H. Bristol, "Recent results on interactions in multivariable process control," In: AIChE Annual Meeting at Florida. p. 78b, 1978.
- J. Jung, J. Y. Choi, and J. Lee, "One-parameter method for a multi-loop control system design," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., vol. 38, pp. 1580-1588, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie980314j
- J. Lee, W. Cho, and T. F. Edgar, "Multi-loop PI controller tuning for interacting multivariable processes," Comput. Chem. Eng., vol. 22, pp. 1711-1723, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0098-1354(98)00230-0