- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
New Path Planning Algorithm based on the Visibility Checking using a Quad-tree on a Quantized Space, and its improvements
격자화된 공간상에서 4중-나무 구조를 이용한 가시성 검사를 바탕으로 한 새로운 경로 계획 알고리즘과 그 개선 방안들
- Published : 2010.01.01
In this paper, we introduce a new path planning algorithm which combines the merits of a visibility graph algorithm and an adaptive cell decomposition. We quantize a given map with empty cells, blocked cells, and mixed cells, then find the optimal path on the quantized map using a visibility graph algorithm. For reducing the number of the quantized cells we use the quad-tree technique which is used in an adaptive cell decomposition, and for improving the performance of the visibility checking in making a visibility graph we propose a new visibility checking method which uses the property of the quad-tree instead of the well-known rotational sweep-line algorithm. For the more efficient visibility checking, we propose two additional improvements for our suggested method. Both of them are used for reducing the visited cells in the quad-tree. The experiments for a performance comparison of our algorithm with other well-known algorithms show that our proposed method is superior to others.
- H. Choset, K. M. Lynch, S. Hutchinson, G. Kantor, W. Burgard, L. E. Kavraki, and S. Thrun, Principles of Robot Motion: Theory, Algorithms and Implementations. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 2005.
- J. C. Latombe, Robot Motion Planning, Kluwer Academic, Boston, 1991.
- R. Siegwart and I. R. Nourbakhsh, Introduction to autonomous mobile robot, Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 2004.
- S. Thrun, W. Burgard, and D. Fox, Probabilistic robotics, Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 2005.
- V. J. Lumelsky and A. A. Stepanov, "Path planning strategies for a point mobile automaton moving amidst unknown obstacles of arbitrary shape," Algorithmica, 2:403-430, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01840369
- I. Kamon and E. Rivlin, "Sensory-based motion planning with global proofs," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 13(6):814-822, Dec. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/70.650160
- S. L. Iaubach and J. W. Burdick, "RoverBug: Long range navigation for mars rovers," Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, pp. 339-348, 1999.
- J. Borenstein and Y. Koren, "The vector field histogram - fast obstacle avoidance for mobile robots," IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 279-288, Jun. 1991.
- R. V. Benson, Euclidean Geometry and Convexity. New York: McGrew-Hill, 1966.
- H. Choset, "Incremental construction of the generalized Voronoi diagram," in Proc. of the 1st CGC Workshop on Computationol Geometry, Oct. 1997.
- L. Guibas, L. Ramshaw, and J. Stolfi, "A kinetic framework for computational geometry," Foundations of Computer Science, 1983., 24th Annual Symposium on, pp. 100-111, Nov. 1983.
- H. Choset, "Incremental construction of the generalized Voronoi diagram, the generalized Voronoi graph, and the hierarchical generalized Voronoi graph," in Proc. Of the 1st CGC Workshop on Computational Geometry, Oct. 1997.
- H. Choset, S. Walker, K. Eiamsa.-Ard, and J. Burdick, "Sensor-based exploration: Incremental construction of the hierarchical generalized Voronoi graph," The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 19, pp. 96-125, Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/02783640022066770
- J. Barraquand and J. C. Latombe, "Robot motion planning: A distributed representation approach," The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 10, pp. 628-649, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/027836499101000604
- O. Khatib, "Real-time obstacle avoidance for manipulators and mobile robots," Robotics and Automation, in Proc. 1985 IEEE Int. Conf. on, vol. 2, pp. 500-505, Mar. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.1985.1087247
- R. Volpe and P. Khosla, "Artificial potentials with elliptical isopotential contours for obstacle avoidance," Decision and Control, 26th IEEE Conf. on, vol. 26. pp. 180-185, Dec. 1987.
- J. Barraquand, L. E. Kavraki, J. C. Latombe, T. Y. Li, R. Motwani, and P. Raghavan, "A random sampling scheme for robot path planning," The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 759-774, 1997.
- K.-Y. Im and S.-Y. Oh, "An extended virtual force field based behavioral fusion with neural networks and evolutionary programming for mobile robot navigation," Evolutionary Computation, proc of the 2000 Congress on, vol. 2, pp. 1238-1244, 2000.
- L. E. Kavraki, J. C. Latombe, and M. H. Overmars, "Probabilistic roadmaps for path planning in high-dimensional configuration spaces," in IEEE Int. Conf. on Methods and Models in Automation and Robotics, pp. 566-580, Morgan Kaufmann, 1997.
- M. H. Overmars and P. Svestka, "A probabilistic learning approach to motion planning," in Proc. Workshop on Algorithmic Foundation of Robotics, pp. 19-38, 1994.
- N. Nilsson, "A mobile automation: An application of artificial intelligence techniques," Tech. Reports 40, AI Center, SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, Mar. 1969.
- D.-T. Lee, "Proximity and reachability in the plane," Ph.D. thesis, Campaign, IL. USA. 1978.
- T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, R. L. Rivest, and C. Stein, Introduction to algorithms, second edition, Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 2001.
- 김정태, 김대진, "가시성 그래프와 가변-셀-분할을 이용한 새로운 경로계획," in Proc. of Korea Computer Congress(KCC), vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 357-361, 2009.
- 김정태, 김대진, "가시성 그래프와 가변-셀-분할을 이용한 경로계획 알고리즘," 한국 자동 제어학술회의 (KACC 2009), pp. 283-288, 2009.
- M. de Berg, O. Cheong, M. van Kreveld, and M. H. Overmars, Computational Geometry: Algorithms and Applications. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2008.
- Expanded Douglas–Peucker Polygonal Approximation and Opposite Angle-Based Exact Cell Decomposition for Path Planning with Curvilinear Obstacles vol.9, pp.4, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/app9040638