- Volume 20 Issue 5
The Relationships among Characteristics of Customers, Choice Attributes, Positive Emotion Associated with Coffee-Drinking Behavior -Focusing on Specialty Coffee Shop Customers-
커피 전문점 이용자의 일반적 특성, 선택 속성, 커피 음용 행동 및 긍정적 감정 간 관계
- Kim, Ju-Yeon (International Tourism Strategy Institute, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Ahn, Kyung-Mo (Graduate School of Tourism, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2010.08.16
- Accepted : 2010.10.04
- Published : 2010.10.31
This study explored choice attributes in specially coffee shops and examined the relations between choice attributes and positive emotions customers felt in specially coffee shops. The study also attempted to find differences in choice attributes and positive emotions according to general characteristics of customers and coffee-drinking behavior. Measured items were derived from preliminary interviews and a literature review. Questionnaires were distributed to customers in Seoul who had visited a specially coffee shop in the last 3 months. The derived factors of choice attributes were 'taste of coffee and atmosphere', 'brand', 'price benefit', 'pleasant space', and 'coffee itself. Among those, the two factors 'taste of coffee and atmosphere', and 'brand' had a statistically significant influence on positive emotions of customers. This implies that specially coffee shop customers have primarily emotional rather than utilitarian motivations. Therefore, to better satisfy customers' desires, more effort is needed to improve the physical environment in coffee shops. Female and younger customers showed higher perception of price benefits than others did. The perception of price benefits and pleasant space mainly varied by the location of coffee-drinking and frequency of visiting specially coffee shops. Further differences in positive emotion according to general characteristics and behaviors of having coffee also discussed.
Supported by : 경희대학교
- 이정실 (2007) 외식기업경영론. 기문사, 서울. p 51.
- 한국경제(2010) 커피전쟁. 기업형커피 전문점2000개시대. 5월 31일.
- Bower GH (1981) Mood and memory. American Psychologist 36: 129-148. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.36.2.129
- Chun TY (2009) The effect of store characteristics of outlet on consumption emotion, relationship quality, and loyalty. J Kor Soc Cloth Ind 11: 417-426.
- Clore GL, Schwarz N, Conway M (1994) Affective causes and consequences social information processing. in: Handbook of social cognition. Wyer, R. S., & Srull, T. K. (Eds.). 1: Hillsdale. NJ: Erlbaum: 323-419.
- Cronin JJ, Taylor SA (1992) Measuring service quality: An reexamination and extension. Journal of Marketing 5: 55-68.
- Ki MO, Lee DI (2008) Influence of perceived quality and brand image on the perceived value and loyalty in specialty coffee shop. J Foodservice Mng Soc of Korea 11: 49-72.
- Kim GJ, Lee BS (2009) Intention to revisit coffee shop and word-of-mouth referrals: Comparative research on service quality and products quality with regard. J Foodservice Mng Soc of Korea 12: 7-31.
- Kim HB, Lee JW, Ro YJ (2007) Impacts of choice attributes on customer loyalty in the coffee-shop restaurant. J Foodservice Mng Soc of Korea 10: 237-252.
- Kim JY (2007) The influence of physical surrounding and employee service on customer emotion and behavioral intention. Ph D Dissertation Kyung Hee University. Seoul.
- Kim JY, Kim HJ, Kim CM (2009) The influence of service elements on customers' emotion and loyalty: Focused on specialty coffee shop customers. The Korean J Culinary Research 15: 271-286.
- Kim JY, Lee YN (2007) The structural relationship between physical surroundings, employee service, customer emotion, and service loyalty: A focus on upscale restaurants. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 17: 753-763.
- Kim SS, Kim BK, Park JO (2006) Identification of selection attributions and assessment of brand equity of take-out coffee shops using conjoint analysis. J Foodservice Mng Soc of Korea 9: 49-69.
- Kim WS, Oh KN, Lee YH, Cho KO (2002) Marketing strategy for service quality improvement of specialty Starbucks coffeeshop: A case study. J Foodservice Mng Soc of Korea 5: 3-22.
- Kim YO (2003) A study on the choice attributes and customer satisfaction of a take-out coffee shop. Korean J Culinary Research 9: 141-154.
- Lee SH, Lee GB (2009) The characteristics of servicescape for a domestic espresso coffee specialty store. J Korean Soc of Design Science 23: 31-41.
- Lee YN, Kim JY (2009) Differences in purchase behavior and choice attributes according to characteristics of specialty coffee shop customers's. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 19: 265-277.
- Maekyung Economy (2010-6-23) Order personality and buy space. p 53.
- Mehrabian A, Russell JA (1974) Individual differences in stimulus screening and arousality. Journal of Personality 45: 237-250.
- Oliver RL (1993) Cognitive, affective, and attribute bases of the satisfaction response. Journal of Consumer Research 20: 418-430. https://doi.org/10.1086/209358
- Park SH (2005) Guilt effects on consumer choice between hedonic and utilitarian products. Journal of Marketing 20: 21-44.
- Richins ML (1997) Measuring emotion in the consumption experience. Journal of Consumer Research 24: 127-146. https://doi.org/10.1086/209499
- Schroeder JJ (1985). Restaurant critics respond: We're doing our job. The Cornell H.R.A. Quarterly 25: 57-63.
- Sohn YJ (2007) A study on the choice attributes and customer satisfaction of a specialty coffee shop: Focused on Dae-gu. MS Thesis Yong Nam University.
- Watson D, Clark LA, Tellegen A (1988) Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the PANAS scale. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 54: 1063-1070. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683