- Volume 43 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Validation of Morphology-based Identification of Two Cynoglossidae Larvae using Mitochondrial DNA
참서대과(Pisces: Cynoglossidae) 자어 2종의 미토콘드리아 DNA에 의한 형태동정의 타당성
- Kwun, Hyuck-Joon (Department of Marine Biology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Jin-Koo (Department of Marine Biology, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2010.08.11
- Accepted : 2010.10.18
- Published : 2010.10.31
Three specimens of Cynoglossidae larvae were collected from the southern Korean Sea in May and August of 2009, and were identified using morphological and molecular analysis. Specimens were divided into two groups based on the number of elongated dorsal fin rays on the top of the head: Cynoglossidae sp. A was defined as having two elongated dorsal fin rays, while Cynoglossidae sp. B possessed a single elongated dorsal fin ray. One specimen of Cynoglossidae sp. A, a post-larva with a notochord length (NL) of 5.8 mm was thought to be a Cynoglossus joyneri larva based on the presence of 115 dorsal pterogiophores, 85 anal pterogiophores, and 50 myomeres. Two specimens of Cynoglossidae sp. B, a 4.1 mm NL larva and a 11.3 mm NL juvenile, were thought to be Cynoglossus abbreviatus based on the presence of yolk in the former and 133 dorsal fin rays, 105 anal fin rays, and 63 myomeres in the latter. To test this morphology-based identification, molecular analysis was conducted using 419-422 bp of mitochondrial DNA 16S rRNA. Cynoglossidae sp. A was clearly matched to a Cynoglossus joyneri adult (d=0.000) and Cynoglossidae sp. B clustered closely with Cynoglossus abbreviatus adults (d=0.002). A neighbor-joining tree supported this robust relationship (bootstrap value=100%). Therefore, these molecular data validate the morphological identification of the two Cynoglossidae larval species.
Cynoglossus abbreviatus;Cynoglossus joyneri;Larvae;Identification;Validation
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Aranishi F, Okimoto T and Izumi S. 2005. Identification of gadoid species (Pisces, Gadidae) by PCR-RFLP analysis. J Appl Genet 46, 69-73.
- Baeck GW, Huh SH and Hashimoto H. 2002. Feeding habits of tonguefish, Cynoglossus joyneri collected in the coastal waters of Yosu, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 14, 234-239.
- Baeck GW and Huh SH. 2004a. Age and growth of red tongue sole (Cynoglossus joyneri) in the southern sea of Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 37, 307-311. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2004.37.4.307
- Baeck GW and Huh SH. 2004b. Age and growth of three-lined tonguefish (Cynoglossus abbreviatus) (Soleidae; Teleostei). J Kor Fish Soc 37, 51-56. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2004.37.1.051
- Baeck GW and Huh SH. 2004c. Feeding habits of robust tonguefish, Cynoglossus robustus collected in the coastal waters of Yosu, Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 16, 341-347.
- Blaxter JHS. 1984. Ontogeny, systematic and fisheries. In: Ontogeny and systematic of fishes based on an international symposium dedicated to the memory of Elbert Halvor Ahlstrom. Moser HG, Richards WJ, Cohen DM, Fahay MP, Kendall Jr AW and Richardson SL, eds. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, U.S.A. 1-6.
- Choi Y, Kim IS, Ryu BS, Chung EY and Park JY. 1995. Ecology of Cynoglossus joyneri Günther from the western coast of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 7, 56-63.
- Fujita S, Kitajima C and Hayashida G. 1986. Induction of ovarian maturation and development of eggs, larvae and juveniles of the tonguefish, Cynoglossus abbreviatus, reared in the laboratory. Jpn J Ichthyol 33, 304-315.
- Gu SO, Hwang HJ and Kim JK. 2009. Morphological description of Cynoglossus joyneri larvae collected from the Yellow Sea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42, 725-728. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2009.42.6.725
- Hall TA. 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucl Acids Symp Ser 41, 95-98.
- Ivanova NV, Zemlak TS, Hanner RH and Hebert PDN. 2007. Universal primer cocktails for fish DNA barcoding. Mol Ecol Notes 7, 544-548. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-8286.2007.01748.x
- Kendall Jr AW and Gray AK. 2001. A comparison of genetic identifications and pigment patterns of Sebastes larvae caught on NOAA ship John N. Cobbcruise 9809. AFSC processed report 2001-02, 1-31.
- Kim BJ, Kim S, Seo HS and Oh J. 2008. Identification of Albula sp. (Albulidae: Albuliformes) leptocephalus collected from the southern coastal waters of Korea using cytochrome b DNA sequences. Ocean Sci J 43, 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03020586
- Kim IS, Choi Y, Lee CL, Lee YJ, Kim BJ and Kim JH. 2005. Illustrated book of Korean fishes. Kyo-Hak Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea, 487-490.
- Kim JK, Watson W, Hyde J, Lo N, Kim JY, Kim S and Kim YS. 2010. Molecular identification of Ammodytes (PISCES, Ammodytidae) larvae, with ontogenetic evidence on separating populations. Genes & Genomics 32, 431-439.
- Kimura M. 1980. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rates of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J Mol Evol 16, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01731581
- Lee JS, Kim SY, Ma KH and Huh SH. 2000. Ovarian development and reproductive cycle of the female red tongue sole, Cynoglossus joyneri (Teleostei: Cynoglossidae). J Kor Fish Soc 33, 554-558.
- Leis JM and Carson-Ewart BM. 2000. The larvae of Indo-Pacific coastal fishes: an identification guide to marine fish larvae. Brill, Leiden, Netherlands, 9-24.
- Lindstrom DP. 1999. Molecular species identification of newly hatched Hawaiian amphidromous gobioid larvae. Mar Biotechnol 1, 167-174. https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00011764
- Matarese AC, Kendall AW, Blood DM and Vinter BM. 1989. Laboratory guide to early life history stages of northeast Pacific fishes. NOAA Tech Rep NMFS 80, 13-27.
- Minami T. 1982. The early life history of a tongue fish Paraplagusia japonica. Bull Jpn Soc Sci Fish 48, 1041-1046. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.48.1041
- Minami T. 1983. The early life history of a tongue fish Cynoglossus joyneri. Bull Jpn Soc Sci Fish 49, 719-724. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.49.719
- Nelson JS. 2006. Fishes of the world. 4th ed. John Wiley and Sons Inc., Hoboken, U.S.A. 450-451.
- Okiyama M. 1988. An atlas of the early stage fishes in Japan. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, Japan, 959-964.
- Paine MA, McDowell JR and Graves JE. 2008. Specific identification using COI sequence analysis of scombrid larvae collected off the Kona coast of Hawaii Island. Ichthyol Res 55, 7-16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-007-0003-4
- Park KD, Myoung JG, Kang YJ and Kim YU. 2005. Seasonal variation of abundance and species composition ichthyoplankton in the coastal water off Tongyoung, Korea. J Kor Fish Soc 38, 385-392. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2005.38.6.385
- Pegg GG, Sinclair B, Briskey L and Aspden WJ. 2006. MtDNA barcode identification of fish larvae in the southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Sci Mar 70S2, 7-12.
- Robertson MD, Ovenden JR and Barker SC. 2007. Identification of small juvenile scombrids from northwest tropical Australia using mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b sequences. Ichthyol Res 54, 246- 252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-007-0397-z
- Russell FS. 1976. The eggs and planktonic stages of British marine fishes. Academic Press, London, U.K. 22-29.
- Seikai T, Tanangona JB and Tanaka M. 1986. Temperature influence on larval growth and metamorphosis of the Japanese flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus in the laboratory. Bull Jpn Soc Sci Fish 52, 977-982. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.52.977
- Seo YI, Kim JI, Oh TY, Lee SK, Kim ST and Joo H. 2007. Age and growth of the robust tonguefish, Cynoglossus robustus in the southern sea of Korea. Korean J Ichthyol 19, 324-331.
- Sharina SN and Kartavtsev YP. 2010. Phylogenetic and taxonomic analysis of flatfish species (Teleostei, Pleuronectiformes) inferred from the primary nucleotide sequence of cytochrome oxidase 1 gene (CO-1). Russ J Genet 46, 401-407.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M and Kumar S. 2007. MEGA4: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Evol 24, 1596-1599. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msm092
- Taylor CA and Watson W. 2004. Utility of larval pigmentation to identify nearshore rockfishes of the Sebastes subgenus pteropodus from southern California. CalCOFI Rep 45, 113-117.
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG and Gibson TJ. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl Acids Res 22, 4673-4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Uyeda S and Sasaki K. 2000. Larvae of two tonguefishes (Cynoglossidae; Pleuronectiformes) occurring off southern Japan. Ichthyol Res 47, 401-406. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02674270
- Vandersea MW, Litaker RW, Marancik KE, Hare JA, Walsh HJ, Lem S, West MA, Wyanski DM, Laban EH and Tester PA. 2008. Identification of larval sea basses (Centropristis spp.) using ribosomal DNA-specific molecular assays. Fish Bull 106, 183-193.
- Victor BC, Hanner R, Shivji M and Hyde J. 2009. Identification of the larval and juvenile stages of the cubera snapper, Lutjanus cyanopterus, using DNA barcoding. Zootaxa 2215, 24-36.
- Vinas J and Tudela S. 2009. A validated methodology for genetic identification of tuna species (genus Thunnus).PLoSONE4,e7606. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007606
- Wan RJ, Jiang YW and Zhuang ZM. 2004. Morphological and developmental characters ar the early stages of the tonguefish Cynoglossus semilaevis. Acta Zool Sin 50, 91-102.
- Yago Y, Kinoshita I, Fujita S, Ueda H and Aoyoma D. 2009. Comparison of the early life histories of two Cynoglossus species in the inner estuary of Ariake Bay, Japan. Ichthyol Res 56, 363-371. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-009-0109-y
- Yamada U, Tokimura M, Horikawa H and Nakabo T. 2007. Fishes and fisheries of the East China and Yellow Sea. Tokai University Press, Hadano, Japan, 1136-1162.
- A New Record of Juvenile Chromis mirationis (Perciformes: Pomacentridae) from Korea, Revealed by Molecular Analysis, with a Comparison to Juvenile Chromis notata vol.17, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2014.0263
- Two New Records of Juvenile Oedalechilus labiosus and Ellochelon vaigiensis (Mugiliformes: Mugilidae) from Jeju Island, Korea, as Revealed by Molecular Analysis vol.16, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5657/FAS.2013.0109