- Volume 10 Issue 5
The Relationship Between MMORPG Players' Leadership-related Game Experience and Offline Leadership
MMORPG 내 리더십 관련 경험과 오프라인 리더십의 상관관계 연구
- Jang, Yei-Beech (GSCT, KAIST) ;
- Ryu, Seoung-Ho (Dept. of Visual Culture, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2010.07.20
- Accepted : 2010.08.16
- Published : 2010.10.20
This research investigated the relationship between MMORPG players' leadership-related game experience and offline leadership using online survey samples(N=664). According to the correlation results, MMORPG players' leadership-related game experience, age, game usage time and offline leadership exhibited a significantly positive relationship. When players had more leadership-related game experience, they reported higher offline leadership scores. In terms of "spillover effect", more valuable implications of using MMORPGs are discussed in conclusion.
- 한국콘텐츠진흥원, "2009 대한민국 게임백서", pp337, 2009.
- 임소혜, 박노일, "다사용자 온라인 롤플레잉 게임 (MMORPG) 이용 동기와 오프라인 리더십 영향 연구", 한국언론학보, 51권, 5호, pp322-345, 2007.
- 전경란, "상호작용 텍스트의 구체화 과정 연구: 다사용자 온라인 롤플레잉 게임(MMORPG)을 중심으로", 한국언론학보, 48권 5호, pp188-213, 2004.
- S. D. Freitas and M. Griffiths, "Online gaming as an educational tool in learning and training", British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp535-537, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00720.x
- G. Yukl and D. D. Van Fleet, "Theory and research on leadership in organizations", Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology, Vol. 3, pp147-192, 1992.
- B. J. Avolio and S. S. Kahai, "Adding the 'E' to e-leadership: how it may impact your leadership", Organizational Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp325-338, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(02)00133-X
- J. J. Sosik, S. S. Kahai, and B. J. Avolio, "Transformational leadership and dimensions of creativity: Motivating idea generation in computer-mediated groups", Creativity Research Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp111-121, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15326934crj1102_3
- J. J. Sosik, B. J. Avolio, S. S. Kahai, and D. I. Jung, "Computer-supported work group potency and effectiveness: the role of transformational leadership, anonymity, and task interdependence", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol 14, No. 3, pp491-511, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0747-5632(98)00019-3
- B. M. Bass, "Two decades of research and development in transformational leadership", European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp9-32, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/135943299398410
- B. J. Avolio and B. M. Bass, B. M, "Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire. Manual and sampler set(3rd ed.)", Redwood City, CA: Mind Garden, 2004.
- N. Yee, "The psychology of massively multi-user online role-playing games: Motivations, emotional investment, relationships and problematic usage", Avatars at Work and Play, Springer, pp187-207, 2006.
- B. Revees, T. W. Malone and T. O'Driscoll, "Leadership's online labs. Harvard Business Review", Vol. 86, No. 5, pp58-66, 2008.
- N. Yee, "The demographics, motivations, and derived experiences of users of massively multi-user online graphical environments", Presence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp309-329, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1162/pres.15.3.309
- D. Giver, L. Carter and M. Goldsmith, "Linkage Inc.'s Best Practices In Leadership Development Handbook", Jossey-Bass/Pfeiffer, San Francisco, CA, 2000.
- 필 하킨스, 최상모 역, "파워풀 컨버세이션: 강력한 리더들의 의사소통 비법", 거름, pp302-304, 2002.
- 한국게임산업진흥원, "게임의 효과성 연구 4차 년도 보고서: 게임과 리더십 향상의 관계를 중심으로", 연구보고서 08-003, 2008.
- E. Chan and P. Vorderer, "Massively multiplayer online games. In P. Vorderer & J. Bryant (Eds), Playing computer games: motives, responses, and consequences", Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2006.
- M. D. Childress and R. Braswell, "Using massively multiplayer online role-playing games for online learning", Distance Education, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp187-196, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/01587910600789522
- D. P. Twitchell, D.P. K. Wiers, M. Adkins, J. K. Burgoon and J. F. Nunamaker, "StrikeCOM: A multi-player online strategy game for researching and teaching group dynamics", Proceedings of the 38th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp45b, 2005.
- M. DeMarco, E. Lesser and T. O'Driscoll, "IBM Institute for Business Value study: Leadership in a distributed world: Lessons from online gaming", IBM Global Business Services, 2007.