- Volume 8 Issue 5
A grid was sandwiched between two cascaded imaging plates. Using a fan-beam X-ray tube and a single exposure scheme, the two imaging plates, respectively, recorded grid-less and grid type information of the object. Referring to the mathematical model of the Grid-less and grid technique, it was explained that the collected components whereas that of imaging plates with grid was of high together with large scattered components whereas that of imaging plate with grid was of low and suppressed scattered components. Based on this assumption and using a Gaussian convolution kernel representing the effect of scattering, the related data of the imaging plates were simulated by computer. These observed data were then employed in the developed post-processing estimation and restoration (kalman-filter) algorithms and accordingly, the quality of the resultant image was effectively improved.
Kalman filter;Computed Radiography;Xray tube;scattering;X-ray imaging
- M. Sonoda, M. Takano, J. Miyahara, and H. kato, "Computed radiography utilizing scanning laser stimulated luminescence," Radiology, vol.148, no.3, pp. 833-838, Sep. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.148.3.6878707
- W. Ito, K.Shimura, N. Nakajima, M. Ishida, and H. Kato, "Improvement of detection in computed radiography by new single-exposure dual-energy subtraction," J Digit Imaging, vol.6, no.1, pp. 42-47, Feb. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03168417
- S. W. Smith, and R. A. Kruger, "A signal processing model of diagnostic x-ray scatter," Med. Phys., vol.13, no.6, pp. 831-835, Nov-Dec. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.595806
- J. A. Seibert, and J. M. Boone, "X-ray scatter removal by deconvolution," Med. Phys., vol.15, no.4, pp. 567-575, Jul-Aug. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.596208
- A. Ersahin, S. Molloi, and Y. J. Qian, "A digital filtration technique for scatter-glare correction based on thickness estimation," IEEE Trans. Med. Img., vol.14, no.3, pp. 587-595, Sep. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.414624
- C. G. Shaw, and D. B. Plewes, "Quantitative digital subtraction angiography: two scanning techniques for correction of scattered radiation and veiling glare," Radiology, vol.157, no.1, pp. 247-253, Oct. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.157.1.3898220
- L. A. Love, and R. A. Kruger, "Scatter estimation for a digital radiographic system using convolution filtering," Med. Phys., vol.14, no.2, pp. 178-185, Mar-Apr. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.596126
- C. G. Shaw, D. L. Ergun, P. D. Myerowitz, M. S. Van Lysel, C. A. Mistretta, W. C. Zarnstorff, and A. B. Crummy, "Atechnique of scatter and glare coreection for video densitometric studies in digital subtraction video angiography," Radiology, vol.142, pp. 209-213, Jan. 1982. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.142.1.7031761
- R. A. Kruger, and P. Y. Liu, "Digital angiography using a matched filter," vol. 1, no. 1, pp.16-21, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.1982.4307544
- T. N. Hangartner, "Correction of scatter in computed tomography images of bone," Med. Phys., vol.14, no.3, pp. 335-340, May-Jun. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.596089
- S. Y. Molloi, and C. A. Mistretta, "Scatter-glare correction in quantitative dual-energy fluoroscopy," Med. Phys., vol.5, pp. 289-297. 1988.
- H. Fahighnam, and A. Macovski, "Reducing the effects of scattered photons in x-ray projection imaging," IEEE Trans. Med. Img., vol.8, no.1, pp.56-63, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.20362
- R. P. Highnam, J. M. Brady, and B. J. Shepstone, "Computing the scatter component of mammographic images," IEEE Trans. Med. Img., vol.13, no.2, pp.301-313, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.293922
- R. E. Kalman, "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems," ASME Trans.J.Basic Eng., vol.D, pp.35-45, Mar. 1960.
- J. E. Dennis, and R. B. Schnabel, "Numberical Methods for Unconstrained Optimization and Nonlinear Equations," INew Jersy: Prentice-Hall, 1983.
- S. Wong, l. Zaremba, D. Gooden, and H. K. Huang, "Radiologic image compression - a review," Proc. IEEE, vol.83, pp.194-219, Feb. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.364466