- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Properties of Reconstituted Milk Made from Freeze-dried Milk Powder or Spray-dried Milk Powder
- Kim, Song-Hee (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Chang, Yoon-Hyuk (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University) ;
- Kwak, Hae-Soo (Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University)
- Published : 2010.02.28
This study was designed to compare the physicochemical and nutritional properties between reconstituted milk samples made from freeze-dried milk powder (FDMP) and spray-dried milk powder (SDMP). Reconstituted milk (87%, wb) was made by combining FDMP or SDMP with water. In the color analysis, the
- Caboni, M. F., Boselli, E., Messia, M. C., Velazco, V. Fratianni, A., Panfili, G., and Marconi, E. (2005) Effect of processing and storage on the chemical quality markers of spray-dried whole egg. Food Chem. 92, 293-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.07.025
- International Dairy Foods Association. (1986) International Dairy Federation Standard No. 87 and 134. IDFA, Washington,DC. USA.
- Ikins, W. G., Kwak, H. S., Zink, G. S., and Jeon, I. J. (1988) Comparison of methods for quantitation of free fatty acids in cheese. J. Food Sci. 53, 1915-1916. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb07878.x
- Galobart, J., Barroeta, A. C., Baucells, M. D., Cortinas, L., and Guardiola, F. (2001) a-Tocopherol transfer efficiency and lipid oxidation in fresh and spray-dried eggs enriched with w3-polyunsaturated fatty acids. Poultry Sci. 80, 1496- 1505. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.10.1496
- Rogers, S., Wu, W. D., Saunders, J., and Chen, X. D. (2008) Characteristics of milk powders produced by spray freeze drying. Drying Technol. 26, 404-412. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373930801929003
- Scott, K. J., Bishop, D. R., Zechalko, A., Edwards-Webb, J. D., Jackson, P. A., and Scuffam, D. (1984) The nutrient content of liquid milk. II. Concentrations of vitamin C, riboflavin, folic acid, thiamin, vitamins B12 and B6 in pasteurized milk. J. Dairy Res. 51, 37-57. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002202990002330X
- Kim, E. H. J., Chen, X. D., and Pearce, D. (2002) Surface characterization of four industrial spray-dried dairy powders in relation to chemical composition, structure and wetting property. Colloids Surf. B 26, 197-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7765(01)00334-4
- Philips, L. G., McGrief, M. L., Barbano, D. M., and Lawless, H. A. (1995) The influence of fat on the sensory properties, viscosity, and color of low fat milk. J. Dairy Sci. 78, 1258-1266. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76746-7
- Kieseker, F. G. and Aitken, B. (1993) Recombined full-cream milk powder. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 48, 33-37.
- del Angel, C. R. and Dalgleish, D. G. (2006) Structures and some properties of soluble protein complexes formed by the heating of reconstituted skim milk powder. Food Res. Int. 39, 472-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2005.09.010
- Woo, G. J. and Lee, H. J. (1994) Characteristics of protein denaturation of milk and reconstituted milk after different heat treatments. Food Biotechnol. 3, 6-9.
- Indyk, H., Littlejohn, V., and Woollard, D. C. (1996) Stability of vitamin D3 during spray-drying of milk. Food Chem. 57, 283-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(95)00225-1
- Cari , M. (1994) Milk powder: General production. In: Concentrated and dried dairy products. Cariae, M. (ed). VCH Publishers, Inc. NY. USA. pp. 57-94.
- Carvalho, A. S., Silva, J., Ho, P., Teixeira, P., Malcata, F. X., and Gibbs, P. (2007) Relationship between solubility of freeze-dried skim milk and death of freeze-dried Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus during storage. Milchwissenschaft 62, 148-150.
- Shrestha, A. K., Howes, T., Adhikari, B. P., Wood, B. J., and Bhandari, B. R. (2007) Effect of protein concentration on the surface composition, water sorption and glass transition temperature of spray-dried skim milk powders. Food Chem. 104, 1436-1444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.02.015
- Park, S. H., Kim, J. Y., Hong, G. P., Kwak, H. S., and Min, S. G. (2006) Influence of ice recrystallization on rheological characteristics of ice slurries and physicochemical properties of concentrated Milk. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 15, 756-762.
- Boss, E. A., Filho, R. M., and de Toledo, E. C. V. (2004) Freeze drying process: real time model and optimization. Chem. Eng. Process. 43, 1475-1485. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2004.01.005
- El-Safty, M. S. and Ismail, A. A. (1982) Addition of free fatty acids to improve the flavor and to accelerate the ripening of Domiati cheese made from reconstituted milk. J. Dairy Res. 49, 671-675. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900022810
- Hwang, J. H., Lee, S. J., Park, H. S., Min, S. G., and Kwak, H. S. (2007) Comparison of physicochemical and sensory properties of freeze-concentrated milk with evaporated milk during storage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20, 273-282.
- Hegenauer, J., Saltman, P., Ludwig, D., Ripley, L., and Bajo, P. (1979) Effects of supplemental iron and copper on lipid oxidation in milk. 1. Comparison of metal complexes in emulsified and homogenized milk. J. Agric. Food Chem. 27, 860-867. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60224a048
- Kwak, H. S. and Jeon, I. J. (1988) Comparison of high performance liquid chromatography and enzymatic method for the measurement of lactose in milk. J. Food Sci. 53, 975-976. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1988.tb09002.x
- Woo, G. J. and Lee, H. J. (1993) Gelation properties of various heat treated milks. Food Biotechnol. 2, 123-126.
- AOAC (1990) Official methods of analysis, Vol. I. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Tsinontides, S. C., Rajniak, P., Pham, D., Hunke, W. A., Placek, J., and Reynolds, S. D. (2004) Freeze drying-principles and practice for successful scale-up to manufacturing. Int. J. Pharm. 280, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2004.04.018
- Anema, S. G., Lowe, E. K., and Li, Y. (2004) Effect of pH on the viscosity of heated reconstituted skim milk. Int. Dairy J. 14, 541-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2003.10.007
- Woollard, D. C. and Edmiston, A. D. (1983) Stability of vitamins in fortified milk powders during a two-year storage period. N. Z. J. Dairy Sci. Technol. 18, 21-26.
- Properties of Milk Supplemented with Peanut Sprout Extract Microcapsules during Storage vol.26, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13060
- Influence of homogenisation conditions and drying method on physicochemical properties of dehydrated emulsions containing different solid components vol.48, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12118