- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Taping Therapy on the ROM, Pain, and Discomfort of Adults with Ankle Pain
테이핑요법이 발목부위 손상 대상자의 관절운동범위, 통증 및 불편감에 미치는 효과
- Jeong, Hyeon-Cheol (Department of Nursing, Sahmyook University) ;
- Lim, Nan-Young (Department of Nursing, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2010.09.08
- Accepted : 2010.11.04
- Published : 2010.11.30
Purpose: This study was intended to examine an effect of taping therapy for adults suffering from ankle pain. Method: A non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used for the study. An experimental group had 32 subjects and a control group 23 subjects. Subjects from the experimental group were taped for 24 hours and thereafter their range of motion [ROM], pain, and discomfort in the injured ankle were evaluated. SPSS Windows was used for data analysis. Result: The degree of ROM of the taped experimental subjects was greater compared to that of non-taped control subjects. The score of ankle pain of the taped subjects was lower than that of non-taped subjects. The score of ankle discomfort of the taped subjects was lower than that of non-taped subjects. Conclusion: This taping therapy can be used independently by nurses as an effective nursing intervention to decrease ankle pain and discomfort after the injury of ankle, which would contribute to expanding a realm of nursing.
Athletic tape;Range of motion(ROM);Pain
- Aeo, K. (2000). Balance taping therapy. Seoul: Jangmunsan.
- Aeo, K. (2001). Cross taping therapy: Diagnosis and treatment use orthopedics and motor mechanics. Seoul: Green Care.
- Cho, J. H., & Park, W. H. (1999). Characteristic analysis of knee joint isokinetic parameters after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine, 17(1), 176-187.
- Choi, Y. H., & Paek, K. S. (1998). The effect of adhesive taping therapy on the relieve of chronic low back pain. The Journal of Korean Society for Health Education, 15(2), 55-66.
- Chung, K. H., & Lee, E. S. (2008). Effects of taping therapy on pain and physical functions of aged people with degenerative knee arthritis. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 14(3), 129-140.
- Cline, M. E., Herman, J., Shaw, E. R., & Morton, R. D. (1992). Standardization of the visual analogue scale. Nursing Research, 41, 378-380.
- Clum, G. A., Luscomb, R. L., & Scott, L. (1982). Relaxation training & cognitive redirection strategies in the treatment acute pain. Pain, 12(2), 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(82)90193-2
- Ferrel, B. A., & Whiteman, J. E. (2003). Geriatric palliative care. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Go, D. I. (2004). Easy Kinesio taping therapy. Seoul: Purunsol.
- Han, K. J. (2007). Changes of muscle strength, ROM, and proprioceptive function as exercise time after ankle taping. Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, Yongin.
- Han, T. R., & Bang, M. S. (2008). Rehabilitation medicine (3th ed.). Seoul: Koonja Publishing.
- Host, H. H. (1995). Scapular taping in the treatment of anterior shoulder impingement. Physical Therapy, 75(9), 803-812. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/75.9.803
- Hyun, S. S., & Park, K. S. (2004). A study on effect of balance taping therapy applied on the patients with arthritis caused upon the pain in legs and obstacle in daily activity. Journal of Korean Academy Adult Nursing, 16(4), 585-596.
- Kim, C. I., Kwon O. Y., & Yi, C. H. (2001). The effect of taping on the range of motion and proprioception at the ankle joint. Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapists, 8(3), 43-52.
- Kim, H. J. (2004). Effect of taping method on pain and ROM of knee joint in elderly. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Kim, G. W. (2004). Orthopedic medical taping treatment. Goyang: Daesung medicalbook.
- Kwon, S. S. (2003). The effects of the taping therapy on range of motion, pain, and depression in stroke patient. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(5), 651-658. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.651
- Lee, Y. K. (1995). A study of effect of ankle taping on activities athletes. Journal of Kyungsan University, 13(1), 229-244.
- Melzack, R., & Wall, P. D. (1965). Pain mechanism: A new theory, Science, 150, 971-979. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.150.3699.971
- Park, K. Y. & Park, K. S. (2010). Effects of a balance taping on pain and ROM of the knee joint in the elderly with lower limbs arthritis. Journal of Korean Academy adult Nursing, 22(3), 312-321.
- Park, K. S., Park, K. Y., & Ryoo, E. N. (2008). Effects of balance taping therapy for elders with leg pain. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals Nursing, 15(1), 45-52.
- Park, K. S., Ryoo, E. N., Moon, K. S., Lee, W. Y., Lee, S. O., Kim, M. H., Youn, M. S., Oh, J. M., Hwang, Y. Y., & Kim, H. A. (2003). Study on the utilization of complementary- alternative therapy in elder arthritics. Journal of Rheumatology Health, 10(2), 142-155.
- Reid, D. C. (1992). Sports injury assessment and rehabilitation. NY: Churchill Livingstone.
- Ricard, M. D., Sherwood, S. M., Schulthies, S. S., & Knight, K. L. (2000). Effects of tape and exercise on dynamic ankle inversion. Journal of Athletic Training, 35(1), 31-37.
- Seo, M. S. (2007). How to affect the pelvis rectification and reduce backache through pelvis rectification taping. Unpublished master's thesis,Yongin University, Yongin.
- Suk, S. I., Lee, C. K., Ahn, J. K., Cho, J. L., Chung, Y. K., Lee, J. M., Lee, S. Y., & Yang, K. Y. (2006). Orthopedics (6th ed.). Seoul: Choishin Medical.
- Williems, T. M., Witvrouw, E., Delbaere, K., Mahieu, N., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., & De Clercq, D. (2005). Intrinsic risk factors for inversion ankle sprains in male subjects: A prospective study. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 33(3), 415-423. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546504268137
- The Effects of Board Training and Complex Training on Ankle Stability in Taekwondo Students with a History of Ankle Sprain vol.18, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.182
- Effect of Balance Taping Therapy on Neck Pain in High School Students vol.24, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.4.417
- The Effect of Taping Therapy on the Expression of cFos Protein and Pain Suppression in Acute Ankle Sprain in Rats vol.34, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2017.002