- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Selection of Business Types for the Installation of Nonpoint Pollution Source Control Facilities
- Choi, Ji-Yong (Division of Water and Environment, Korea Environment Institute) ;
- Hwang, Dae-Ho (Division of Water and Environment, Korea Environment Institute)
- Published : 2010.03.31
In 2004, the Korean government launched comprehensive measures for nonpoint pollution that were intended to reduce their amount by 34.3% over of those forecast by 2020. During the first and second stages of their implementation; from 2004 to 2011, nonpoint source (NPS) measures have focused on systemic improvements and project management, as well as the introduction of optimal management techniques; accordingly, reductions have been small. However, during the third stage in 2011, serious reductions will be pursued. Accordingly, the gradual expansion of sites subject to NPS measures has focused on the establishment of a basis for reduction measures in connection with model projects during the first half of the plan, with full scale enforcement due in the second half. For Korea, rather than commencing NPS management en masse, it has been more appropriate to gradate NPS management into stages tailored to the different needs of new and existing businesses, as well as to the needs of large and small-scale businesses, in consideration of their specific circumstances. This has allowed sufficient time for such businesses to become accustomed to the concept of NPS management.
Control facilities;Industries;Nonpoint pollution
- Comprehensive measures on nonpoint source management for the 4 major rivers. Gwacheon, Korea: Ministry of Environment; 2004 (in Korean).
- Guidelines for nonpoint source management. Gwacheon, Korea: Ministry of Environment; 2005 (in Korean).
- Region 10, the Pacific northwest. Runoff permitting information for industrial activities. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; 2005.
- The Mid-Atlantic States. Storwmwater pollution prevention.Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency;2005.
- Comprehensive survey on industry. Seoul, Korea: National Statistical Office; 2004 (in Korean).