- Volume 20 Issue 3
This study deals with the design of a bi-directional damper using a tuned liquid damper(TLD) and a tuned liquid column damper(TLCD) for a SDOF building. Two dampers are usually needed to reduce wind-induced responses of tall buildings since they are along and across wind ones. The proposed damper has the advantage of controlling both responses with a single damper. The damper used in this study behaves as both a TLCD in a specific translational direction and a TLD in the other orthogonal direction. This paper presents experimental verification to confirm its control performance. First, shaking table test is carried out to investigate reducing responses by the damper. Control performance of the damper is expressed by the transfer function from shaking table accelerations to SDOF building ones. Testing results show that the damper reduced bi-directional responses of a SDOF building. Also, it reduced torsion responses.
- Simiu, E. and Scanlan, R. H., 1996, “Wind Effects on Structure,” John Wiley & Sons.
- Lee, S. K., Min, K. W. and Park, E., 2008, “Dynamic Characteristic of A Bi-directional Damper Using A Tuned Mass Damper and A Tuned Liquid Column Damper,” Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 589-596.
- Min, K. W., 2009, “Design Parameter of a New Type Bi-directional Damper Using a Tuned Liquid Column Damper and a Tuned Sloshing Damper,” Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 850-856. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.8.850
- Wen, Y. K., 1980, “Equivalent Linearization for Hysteretic Systems Under Random Excitation,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 47, pp. 150-154. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3153594
- Chang, C. C. and Qu, W. L., 1998, “Unified Dynamic Absorber Design Formulas for Wind-induced Vibration Control of Tall Building,” The Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 147-166. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1794(199806)7:2<147::AID-TAL107>3.0.CO;2-3
- Fujino, Y., Pacheco, B. M., Chaiseri, P., Sun, L. M. and Koga, K., 1990, “Understanding of TLD Properties Based on TMD Analogy,” JSCEJ, Structures Engineering, 36A.
- Lee, S. K., Lee, H. R. and Min, K. W., 2009, “Nonlinear Characteristic of a Tuned Liquid Column Damper under Various Excitation Amplitude,” Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 11, pp. 1167-1176. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.11.1167
- The MathWorks, Inc, 2007, Simulink Reference, MATLAB SIMULINK.
- Kim, H. Y., Cho, J. E., You, K. P., Kim, Y. M., 2005, “Wind-induced Vibration Control of a Tall Building Using TLDs,” Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 139-142.
- Yu, J. K., Wakahara, T., Reed, D. A., 1999, “A Non-linear Numerical Model of The Tuned Liquid Damper,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 28, pp. 671-686. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199906)28:6<671::AID-EQE835>3.0.CO;2-X