- Volume 46 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of load upon the abrasive wear characteristics of glass fiber reinforced polyurethane composites
하중변화에 따른 GF/PUR 복합재료의 연삭마모특성
- Koh, Sung-Wi (Department of Mechanical System Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- 고성위 (부경대학교 기계시스템공학과)
- Received : 2010.10.26
- Accepted : 2010.11.09
- Published : 2010.11.30
The effect of load and sliding speed on abrasive wear characteristics of glass fiber/polyurethane (GF/PUR) composites were investigated at ambient temperature by pin-on-disc friction test. The friction coefficient, cumulative wear volume and surface roughness of these materials against SiC abrasive paper were determined experimentally. Experimental results showed that the surface roughness of the GF/PUR composites was increased as applied load was higher in wear test. The cumulative wear volume tended to increase nonlinearly with increase of sliding distance and depended on applied load and sliding speed for these composites. It could be verified by scanning electric microscopy (SEM) photograph of surface tested that major failure mechanisms were lapping layers, ploughing, delamination, deformation of resin and cracking.
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Chand, N., A. Naik and S. Neogi, 2000. Three-body abrasive of short glass fibre polyester composite. Wear 242 (1-2), 38-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(00)00398-7
- Evans, D.C. and J.K. Lancaster, 1979. The wear of polymers, Treatise on materials science and technology, 13, ed. Academic Press, New York, USA, pp. 85-139.
- Friedrich, K., 1986. Friction and wear of polymer composites. Composite materials series, 1, ed. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 233-287.
- Giltrow, J.P. and J.K. Lancaster, 1970. The role of the counterface in the friction and wear of carbon fibre reinforced thermosetting resins. Wear, 16 (5), 359-374. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(70)90102-X
- Kim, S.Y., E.B. Kim, Q. Yoo and C.S, Ju, 2010. Tribological wear behavior of PTFE impregnated with Cu nano particles. J. Kor. Soc. Pow. Sys. Eng., 14 (4), 50-55.
- Koh, S.W. and B.C. Yang, H.J. Kim and J.D. Kim, 2004. Effect of sliding velocity on the wear and friction characteristics of a carbon fiber composites. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 40 (4), 344-350. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2004.40.4.337
- Koh, S.W. and B.C. Yang, H.J. Kim and J.D. Kim, 2006. Study on abrasive wear behavior of a carbon fiber composites. J. Kor. Soc. Pow. Sys. Eng., 10 (1), 46-51.
- Kim, B.T. and S.W. Koh, 2008. A study on abrasive wear characteristics of side plate of FRP ship. J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Tech., 44 (3), 250-256. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2008.44.3.250
- Ravikiran, A. and S. Jahanmir, 2001. Effect of contact pressure and load on wear of alumina. Wear 251 (1-12), 980-984. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(01)00739-6
- Ren, H.R., K.H. Kim and S.S. Kim, 2001. Tribological evaluation of dental composite resins containing prepolymerized particle fillers. KSME International Journal, 15 (6), 727-734.
- Shim, H.H., O.K. Kwon and J.R. Youn, 1991. Effects of structure and humidity on friction and wear properties of carbon fiber reinforced Epoxy composites. Proc. SPE ANTEC'91, 1977.
- Sung N. and N.P. Suh, 1979. Effect of fiber orientation in friction and wear of fiber reinforced polymer composites. Wear, 53 (1), 129-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(79)90224-2
- Suh, N.P. and H.C. Sin, 1981. The genesis of friction. Wear, 69 (1), 91-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(81)90315-X