- Volume 16 Issue 12
The problem of designing a nonlinear sliding surface for an uncertain system is considered. The proposed sliding surface comprises a linear time invariant term and an additional time varying nonlinear term. It is assumed that a linear sliding surface parameter matrix guaranteeing the asymptotic stability of the sliding mode dynamics is given. The linear sliding surface parameter matrix is used for the linear term of the proposed sliding surface. The additional nonlinear term is designed so that a Lyapunov function decreases more rapidly. By including the additional nonlinear term to the linear sliding surface parameter matrix we obtain a nonlinear sliding surface such that the speed of responses is improved. We also give a switching feedback control law inducing a stable sliding motion in finite time. Finally, we give an LMI-based design algorithm, together with a design example.
- V. I. Utkin, “Variable structure systems with sliding modes,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 212-222, Apr. 1977. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.1977.1101446
- O. M. E. El-Ghezawi, A. S. I. Zinober, and S. A. Billings, “Analysis and design of variable structure systems using a geometric approach,” International Journal of Control, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 657-671, Sep. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207178308933100
- C. M. Dorling and A. S. I. Zinober, “Two approaches to hyperplane design in multivariable variable structure control systems,” International Journal of Control, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 65-82, July 1986. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207178608933583
- R. A. DeCarlo, S. A. Zak, and G. P. Matthews, “Variable structure control of nonlinear multivariable systems: A tutorial,” Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 212-232, Mar. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.4400
- J.-J. E. Slotine and W. Li, Applied Nonlinear Control, Prentice-Hall, 1991.
- M. Zohdy, M. S. Fadali, and J. Liu, “Variable structure control using system decomposition,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control., vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1514-1517, Oct. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.256371
- J. Y. Hung, W. Gao, and J. C. Hung, “Variable structure control: A survey,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 2-22, Feb. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.184817
- S. H. Zak and S. Hui, “On variable structure output feedback controllers,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 38, pp. 1509-1512, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.241564
- W.-C. Su, S. V. Drakunov, and U. Ozguner, “Constructing discontinuity surfaces for variable structure systems: A Lyapunov approach,” Automatica, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 925-928, Jun. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(96)00017-9
- J. Ackermann and V. Utkin, “Sliding mode control design based on Ackermann’s formula,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 234-237, Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.661072
- H. H. Choi, “An analysis and design method for uncertain variable structure systems with bounded controllers,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 602-607, Apr. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2004.825630
- H. H. Choi, “On the existence of linear sliding surfaces for a class of uncertain dynamic systems with mismatched uncertainties,” Automatica, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1707-1715, Oct. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-1098(99)00081-3