- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
New Record of Sagami Grenadier, Ventrifossa garmani (Gadiformes: Macrouridae) from Korea
- Jeong, Moon-Kyung (Department of Marine Biology, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Sung-Il (External Research Cooperation Division, NFRDI) ;
- Kim, Jin-Koo (Department of Marine Biology, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2010.05.26
- Accepted : 2010.11.12
- Published : 2010.11.30
A single specimen (149.9 mm TL) of sagami grenadier, Ventrifossa garmani was collected from Korea waters. This species is similar to Coelorinchus spp. in body shape, but is distinguished by a short and rounded snout. It is characterized by having the serrated second dorsal spine in the first dorsal fin, a triangular spine on the scale, seven branchiostegal rays and six scales below middle of first dorsal fin. We describe this species as the first record to Korean fish fauna and propose the Korean name "Kkeo-kkeul-meo-ri-min-tae-sok" for this genus, and "Kkeo-kkeul-meo-ri-min-tae" for this species.
Supported by : National Fisheries Research and Development Institute (NFRDI), Pukyong National University
- Cohen, D.M., T. Inada, T. Iwamoto and N. Scialabba, 1990. FAO species catalogue. Vol. 10. Gardiform fishes of the world (order Gardiforems). An annotated and illustrate catalogue of cods, hakes, grenadiers and other gardiform fishes known to date. FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations) Fisheries Synopsis. pp. 90-311.
- Gilbert, C.H. and C.L. Hubbs, 1916. Report on the Japanese macrouroid fishes collected by the United States Fisheries Steamer 'Albatross' in 1906. with a synopsis of the genera. Proceedings of the United States National Museum, 51(2149): 135-214. https://doi.org/10.5479/si.00963801.51-2149.135
- Gilbert, C.H. and C.L. Hubbs, 1920, The macrouroid fishes of the Philippine Islands and the East Indies. U.S. Mational Museum Bull. 100. I: 369-588. Figs. 1-40.
- Günther, A., 1877. Preliminary notes on new fihwes collected in Japan during the expedition of H.M.S. 'Challenger'. Annals and Magazine of Natural History, ser. 4, 20: 433-446.
- Iwamoto, T., 1979. Eastern Pacific macrourine grenadiers with seven branchiostegal rays (Pisces: Macrouridae). Proceedigns of the California Academy of Sciences, ser. 4, 42: 135-179.
- Jordan, D.S. and E.P. Starks, 1902. List of Fishes dredged by the streamer Albatross off the coast of Japan in the summer of 1900, with descriptions of new species and a review of the Japanese macrouidae. Bulletin of U.S. Fish Commition, 1902: 577-630. Figs. 1-8.
- Kim, I.S., Y. Choi, C.L. Lee, B.J. Kim and J.H. Kim, 2005. Illustrated book of Korean fishes. Kyo-Hak Publishing Seoul, Korea, pp. 172-173 (in Korean).
- Kim, S.Y., T. Iwamoto and M. Yabe, 2009. Four new records of Grenadiers (Macrouridae, Gadiformes, Teleostei) from Korea. Korean Journal of Ichthyology, 21: 106-117.
- Nakabo, T., 2002. Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species, English edition. Tokai University Press. I: i-lxi+1-866.
- Nelson, J.S., 2006. Fishes of the world. 4th edition. John Wiley and Sons. New York, pp. 235-239.
- Okamura, O., K. Amaoka and F. Mitani, 1982. Fishes of the Kyushv-Palav Ridge and Tosa Bay. Japan Fisheries Resource Conservation Association, Tokyo, pp. 144-159. (in Japanese and English)
- Okamura, O. and T. Kitajima, 1984. Fishes of the Okinawa Trough and the adjacent waters. The intensive research of unexploited fishery resources on continental slopes. Japan, Tokoy. Fish. Res. Con. Ass. I: 208-215 (in Japanese and English; various authors).
- Sazonov, Y. and Y.N. Shcherbachev, 1997. The composition and some problems pertaining to the variability of species of subgenus Sokodara (Genus Ventrifossa, Macrouridae). J. Ichthyol. 37(7): 528-533.
- Shao, K.T., 2001. Family Macrouridae. In: Fishes of Taiwan. Reversed ed (Ed., S.C. Shen). National Taiwan University Press, Taipei, pp. 167-173 (In Chinese).